• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Discipl3
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2014

Ringside Bag / Swivel Combo?

Hey everyone I am just getting into boxing and looking at getting this speedbag and swivel. I am a beginner at the speedbag but I do not want to buy something that I will "grow" out of to fast.

What does everyone think of these?

It will cost $57 with shipping. Will these work good for me? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Discipl3 View Post
    Hey everyone I am just getting into boxing and looking at getting this speedbag and swivel. I am a beginner at the speedbag but I do not want to buy something that I will "grow" out of to fast.

What does everyone think of these?

It will cost $57 with shipping. Will these work good for me? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    Hi Discipl3,

That bag and swivel will probably work fine for you, however.....

The bag looks to be of the "small" size so control might be an issue at first. However if you hit softly at first, or perhaps underinflate it a smidge that will slow it down a bit.

That swivel is a fairly heavy unit but it will probably do fine for a "boxing" workout, meaning punching basically front the front or maybe front-and reverse. (seven punches from front and behind), and maybe some hook punching combinations as well. However, if you want to hit consistently from "all around the bag" meaning a lot of side punches, including lots of fists changing all around the bag, (front back and sides at will...) than you may find that swivel problematic because the mechanics of the parts and movement planes will sometimes (not always) influence the rebounds, and that makes the bag go in a slightly different angle than we expected.

So, most of those choosing to focus on the more complicated "bible style punching" from all around the bag prefer a ballhook, since the simple construction allows the truest movements. There are various types of ballhooks floating around the web, some good, some not so good. The old standards of yesteryear have pretty much gone out of production, and today the model you can get quickly with confidence that is a top notch product is the Deville Ballhook. This swivel is designed and created by our own MsDeville (forum member and ace bagger). It has been tested by most of the best baggers in the world (a few forum members in that group) and certified top quality for endurance and accuracy. Like most things in life it costs a little more than others, not as much as some, but it is a high quality product. You can email or PM MsDeville via the forum to order if you want.

It also helps to put that bag and whatever swivel on a good board, so I hope you have a decent unit to put them on. Good luck with your choices.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...