X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • looster
    • Jul 2012

Speedbagging as physical therapy

In 2001, I had 2 operations on my left shoulder. ouch, I could not even reach behind me to tuck my shirt in for a year. very SLOW healing process.
    but then- the gym I went to installed a speedbag-first time I had seen one in 20 years ( I used to hit one all of the time long ago )
    so- I went up and surprisingly had about 85% of the movement , and in a week I was back in form.
    GUESS WHAT HAPPENED ? my shoulder, which had gone thru 2 years of WORTHLESS PHYSICAL THERAPY started to feel better, almost immediately.
    working the bag juices up the joints, the muscles, and everything else. it really sped up my recovery.
    SPEEDBAGING should be taught much, much more widely - to athletes, to physical therapists and sports trainers.
    just my 2 cents.
  • rehamco1
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2013

I agree...had 2 broken wrists...was told could not do much at all...started speedbagging and now my arms and hands are stronger than they have ever been and I feel much better

Comment

• jwright11
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by looster View Post
      In 2001, I had 2 operations on my left shoulder. ouch, I could not even reach behind me to tuck my shirt in for a year. very SLOW healing process.
      but then- the gym I went to installed a speedbag-first time I had seen one in 20 years ( I used to hit one all of the time long ago )
      so- I went up and surprisingly had about 85% of the movement , and in a week I was back in form.
      GUESS WHAT HAPPENED ? my shoulder, which had gone thru 2 years of WORTHLESS PHYSICAL THERAPY started to feel better, almost immediately.
      working the bag juices up the joints, the muscles, and everything else. it really sped up my recovery.
      SPEEDBAGING should be taught much, much more widely - to athletes, to physical therapists and sports trainers.
      just my 2 cents.

Firstly thnks to god .
      Mostly, Boxing Player are using SPEED BAGS for improving the stamina of their hands and you are the live example, proof that the Punching Bags are great tools for muscles and mind.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by looster View Post
        just my 2 cents.

I've been saying that for a long time, however it is important to realize that hitting the speed bag directly after surgery might not have had the same result.

Sad truth is, High traffic rehab clinics will have a problem with the noise factor of the speed bag. I've spent a lot of my life in some type of physical therapy, the places I used where I live are familiar with my background, and the love the speed bag idea, they (or the other patients in the clinic) would find the noise difficult to deal with. Even in a very reduced mode of barely hitting the bag after a joint surgery.

Second problem is, there is no "legitimate research" published in medical journals finding speed bag use of actual "measureable benefit that is reproducible in other studies", and also no published research based treatment protocols on how it should be used for specific surgeries of the shoulder. Until some of those milestones are passed, we probably won't see speed bags in medically based rehabilitation treatment clinics being used in patient care. I can also imagine that very few physical therapists have any actual experience or understanding of speed bag equipment or proficiency using it. All of the ones I knew had no idea how to use it, and I can't imagine a therapist, or clinic staff, using any equipment they have no skill, proficiency or understanding of. I'd like my treatment staff to be a little better informed on the devices they are having me use.

At one time I had dreamed of the speed bag being accepted and included within the larger rehabilitation community, however lots of "legitimate research" has yet to be done to make this a reality. But I still wish it to be so...

But I do agree with your insight. Speed bagging can help build strength and improve the range of motion (particularly with elbow strikes) in the shoulder. I have had a little experience with that.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-08-2014, 07:03 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
          • Apr 2012

I took physio as well. Some places have good people working there, some don't. Some places are outdated, and some are up to date. Some injuries are muscular, some are bone, or both. It's relative. It's important to follow the physio program. Never miss a workout/meal. Machines in physio are quite, meant to relax and concentrate. They have a machine that is about 800 bucks. Does the same thing a speed bag does, but better. Ask any random woman if they would go to physio if there's a bag in there making noise? They wont go. If there is a bag there, it will be on a adjustable platform. Who's going to adjust it? If one can adjust it that is injured, perhaps the injury is fine. Who's going train the injured party? What size bag to get, better get them all. You walk into physio going Speed Bag Skunk throwing elbow strikes and bumping, etc... They going to tell you to keep it down. Most people don't want help, they want it done for them. Those who get better, really helped themselves. No one can get fit for someone else. Someone can go swimming, or train some other way, and get improvements. WE all praise the speed bag, because we can do elbow strikes and bumping.
          Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...