Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quantumhands
    • Aug 2012

Wow!!! That thing is pure beauty!!!! So how long before you start selling these things? I know i want one as soon as they are available!! Even if its a first draft one, you do amazing work!!! Please keep it up for all of us addicts out there lol.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

That Everlast is no longer made, and fell apart too quickly. But it hit nicely, and Speed Bag Skunk made it fly. I loved the feel of that bag.

Comment

• rskbreaker
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by speedy G View Post
        that looks awesome, but I'm no expert.

This is the perfect place (imho) to get the expert opinions on how to POSSIBLY create the next evolution speedbag! That sounds damn exciting and I love watching the development. You've already conquered new ground and I can't wait to buy a bag when you're ready.

Are you trying to just replicate the everlast, or improve upon it, and why so?

If and when you have time, could you describe briefly what you did and didn't do to make it similar or different from the everlast? maybe talk about the size, material, stitching, weight, rivet, etc., and the production process - what was easier and harder than you thought, future challenges and/or issues?

by looks alone - you are on to something, and I love that you're using and introducing a skill that you obviously have - to the speed bag world. So, congrats and thanks for that.
        Thank you very much! I started making equipment as a hobby, but I'm thinking about trying to take it to the next level. I'm trying to focus on and mastering a few select items. I decided to focus on punching bags(speed/heavy/double end). I found the forum while doing a little research and everyone has been extremely helpful.

My goal was to replicate the Everlast bag, but to improve on the leather quality. As far as why. I heard it was a great bag and I'm looking to make 3-4 different bag sizes to offer in the future.

Some changes were because of machine limitations on my part:

- The leather, which was an easy fix.
        - I used a chicago screw for the loop instead of sewing the loop on.
        - I didn't use a welted seam(more cost and time).
        - I used a 92 bonded nylon thread for the stitching.
        - I have to make the tongue a little smaller

Well the production process is always harder than it looks. Most important is the patterns. The patterns have to be perfect or you'll get a misshapen bag. Some of the other challenges were due to my machine limitations. I have a flat bed machine, but a cylinder arm machine would be beneficial in some of the bag making process. I'll probably get a small cobblers machine for Christmas, so that would certainly help.

Originally posted by quantumhands View Post
        Wow!!! That thing is pure beauty!!!! So how long before you start selling these things? I know i want one as soon as they are available!! Even if its a first draft one, you do amazing work!!! Please keep it up for all of us addicts out there lol.
        You're too kind. Thank you! Ralph is helping me with some testing. I want to make sure the speed bags are up to par before offering them for sale.

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        That Everlast is no longer made, and fell apart too quickly. But it hit nicely, and Speed Bag Skunk made it fly. I loved the feel of that bag.
        I didn't know they were no longer made. I couldn't find much info on the bag, other than what was posted on the forum.

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        ...Got the bags today, Monday. I got to hit on your six panel bag and will post a pic with it next to some of my other bags of the same size. I'll give you my suggestions on where you can make some adjustments. I'll try to do that tomorrow (Tuesday)...ralph
        Awesome! I look forward to your feedback.

Comment

• speedbag4life
          • Jun 2007

Impressive look! It'll be fun to figure out the nuts and bolts of what makes a great bag MOVE well. Can't wait to punch one of these one day!

Comment

• rskbreaker
            • Jan 2014

Thanks for the comparison pics. Hopefully the first suggestion is not get a new hobby. lol

I would say shorter loop, maybe more of a tear drop shape, and it looks like the lining I used for the circle panel on the bottom is fraying a bit.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Can't wait to see where this goes! Ralph will beat the #@!?#! out of that thing. I want to see you making a 6x9 in the future and a bit more tear-drop of a shape.

Observation:
              Make sure, if you have a circle bottom panel, that you trim it very close to the stitches. Any extra sticking out can really hurt the knuckles.
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rskbreaker
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Can't wait to see where this goes! Ralph will beat the #@!?#! out of that thing. I want to see you making a 6x9 in the future and a bit more tear-drop of a shape.

Observation:
                Make sure, if you have a circle bottom panel, that you trim it very close to the stitches. Any extra sticking out can really hurt the knuckles.
                Thanks! Note taken.

If anyone has a busted up 6x9 tear drop shape bag they'd like to sell, please send me a PM.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                  • Jan 2014

Yap, A shorter loop and a narrow loop, like the title bag next to it or the everlast bag, There's no need for a wide loop, I feel they are just ridiculous, A good narrow short loop works fine, and people will have less trouble getting it on their S-hooks. I had no trouble getting you loop on my S-hook because I made my S-hook pretty wide, but for people that have the older everlast S-hook swivels won't be able to get your bag on those hooks. The everlast swivels that I have, your bag won't fit on. Then there's the rivet (Chicago bolt). One is not enough, You need two. There is too much force on that area, and yours will pull though, as I can see it. Then the one line of stitching below the chicago bolt will not hold up, you need two rows there, also with the shape of this bag being bulbous, some people will have trouble targeting the bag, The tapering of the bag as it goes up towards the loop i s too drastic and gives for too small of a target, not allowing for people to be off alittle bit on their strikes, This will send the bag all over. I would say for where you want to go for this shape, I would follow the shape of the title bag next to it or combine the shape of the everlast bag and title bag. Also with the category of these bags you see lined up on my couch, The one problem is bags of this size being to light weight, That's why I sent you that everlast black & yellow bag, because there are to many light weight bags out there, and people like me love that solid hefty feel of hitting on that everlast black & yellow bag. If you can replicate everything about that bag, then everyone will want one. You can call it the (BumbleBee). Another thing to keep in mind is what Zaza said before and I think most of us spend more time on our 5x8 and 6x9 bags, Now your gonna find that in the 5x8 bag category, there are variations in size like the title gold bag that you have and the fighting sports bag is a bigger variation of that size, and I think in general people like those versions of that size. Another thing to think about again is the shape, it would be nice to combine the shape of the tear drop bag and banana bag, OH Then there's the old everlast 4200 bags, those bags had a great shape, especially the kangaroo version of the 4200. I have more to say and will post more later...ralph
                  I can't thank you enough for the feedback. I already made the shorter and thinner loop adjustment on the black bag. I will definitely add the extra stitch line and double rivets in the future, it's too late for the black bag. To get the weight up I'm going to experiment with a heavier lining in the bag and possibly work on welted seams. That should help keep the seams straight as well.

Comment

• Gallichio
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2015

Looks great!

Comment

• rskbreaker
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by RDXSports
                      The speed bag should be lightweight which means fast rebounds
                      Thanks for the feedback RDX. Haven't tried any of the RDX gear myself, but I'm a fan of the looks.

Originally posted by Gallichio View Post
                      Looks great!
                      Thanks!

Two more custom speed bags. Brown one I sent to Ralph for providing me with the pattern, purple and gold is mine, and two more unfinished bags.

Last edited by rskbreaker; 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Great looking bags.

Comment

• Gallichio
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2015

Awesome

Your bags look better than the pro bags I have purchased. Nice work.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                            Great looking bags.
                            Your bags look better than the pro bags I have purchased. Nice work.
                            Thanks!

Comment

• rskbreaker
                              • Jan 2014

Hey Ralph,

I did use thread locker on the Chicago screws. Perhaps trying to get the weight to match the everlast bag, the leather I used was too heavy.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by RDXSports
                                The speed bag should be lightweight which means fast rebounds
                                Looks great!
                                ...No that's not it, The reason the bumblebee bag was so popular is because it felt like your were hitting something and not hitting air, like most of the bags of this size. The weight also gave you a more real workout of hitting a solid bag and not air. Yes their not the fastest but there are things you can do to make them faster, and the loop has a part to do with that. When I have time I'll get the Chicago bolts off and shorten the loop, I know for a fact it will bring the bag up to the speed, besides it is just alittle bit slower, shortening the loop will do it. BTW I love the feel and thickness of the leather, Like I said before it feels like your hitting something...ralph
                                I understand now. Thanks again for taking the time to give me feedback.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...