X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Now why did they have to abandon running for fitness? When I was in the Army, especially at all the schools I went to, it seems like that's all we did with differing amounts of gear, particularly if the weather was foul!

Seriously, I have to give the Army all the credit for begrudgingly developing my love of running. I run a 5k at least 3x a week.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
      Wow that's eye opening information G. I have inadvertently done it correctly then! I always shadowbox fast and furious and then feel wiped out when I get on my speedbag. I never run for more than 2 miles at a time anymore and was actually feeling a bit old due to it. Great news for slackers! By the way metaldad the shadowboxing with weights is an excellent workout for pushing the cardio. If you hadn't mentioned it I was going to suggestit.
      I defininitely am aware that running should never be neglected in your workout my only problem with running is the knee surgery. I had my patella tendon replaced a few years ago so running has been a challenge for me. Not impossible just a challenge(I tend to look rather retarded now lol) I've been tying some alternatives to build my legs up with low impact i.e. the exercise bike.I do miss running especially since reading that my all time idol(Bruce Lee) was a huge advocate for the benefits of running. And being a former Marine myself(SEMPER FI to your dad!) it was always a part of my workout. Running with the weights is most definitely gonna kick my ass!! I'll get back there eventually. Thanks a ton!
      sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
        oo-ra!

Or build yourself a DARD and build up those shins...

I made one of these after breaking my ankle last October. It has not only helped me recover 100% but my ankles and shins are much stronger than they've ever been....
        Nice!!! I'm gonna have to try that one!
        sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          Now why did they have to abandon running for fitness? When I was in the Army, especially at all the schools I went to, it seems like that's all we did with differing amounts of gear, particularly if the weather was foul!

Seriously, I have to give the Army all the credit for begrudgingly developing my love of running. I run a 5k at least 3x a week.
          Before Iwent into the Marines, I was a medic in the National Guard for two years and wrestling in high school at the same time. Bloomington is near Normal right? I live in Hickory Hills just about 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. Did basic at Ft Leonard Wood. I DO NOT miss those damn brown recluse spiders or those damned hikes lol!!
          sigpic

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            I defininitely am aware that running should never be neglected in your workout my only problem with running is the knee surgery. I had my patella tendon replaced a few years ago so running has been a challenge for me. Not impossible just a challenge(I tend to look rather retarded now lol) I've been tying some alternatives to build my legs up with low impact i.e. the exercise bike.I do miss running especially since reading that my all time idol(Bruce Lee) was a huge advocate for the benefits of running. And being a former Marine myself(SEMPER FI to your dad!) it was always a part of my workout. Running with the weights is most definitely gonna kick my ass!! I'll get back there eventually. Thanks a ton!

if you are intent on running - this will definately help you out...

ChiRunning is the world leader in teaching a safe, efficient, and natural running technique aimed to reduce injury and improve performance.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Before Iwent into the Marines, I was a medic in the National Guard for two years and wrestling in high school at the same time. Bloomington is near Normal right? I live in Hickory Hills just about 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. Did basic at Ft Leonard Wood. I DO NOT miss those damn brown recluse spiders or those damned hikes lol!!
              Yes, Bloomington/Normal are usually considered one in the same.

I've lived here almost 8 years.

I never went to Fort Leonard Wood. The closest I got to that post was Ft. Sill, Oklahoma near Hispanicmakingpanics neck of the woods.

I do miss my Army days, but it's easy to say when it's all behind you.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2007

went for a 2 mile run in the forest today with the dog. all cross country, was much more fun than on the road tbh. really enjoyed it, apart from tripping over the dog when she decided to cut me up! gona start going every other day now coz i really enjoyed it

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                  • May 2007

Running

Does anyone know the benefits of a high intensity pick up basketball game(half court) versus those of slower long distance running? I don't wanna neglect my legs and lungs but at the same time I haven't been able to get into a regimented running routine. I figure 3 to 5 pickup games of 3 on 3 at full speed is a decent amount of cardio?

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Yes, Bloomington/Normal are usually considered one in the same.

I've lived here almost 8 years.

I never went to Fort Leonard Wood. The closest I got to that post was Ft. Sill, Oklahoma near Hispanicmakingpanics neck of the woods.

I do miss my Army days, but it's easy to say when it's all behind you.
                    Lawton, I went to AIT there when I joined the Marines. Field Artilleryn which is why I can't hear lol! You're right about missing the the time you were in. I'm constantly remembering the good and bad times, the places , the booze etc....good times indeed
                    sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                      Step back from the bag and take a fighting stance. Now throw 3 minutes of left jabs with a right cross every 3 jabs. Do a second round with the opposite side. Try to keep the same rhythm the whole time, and start out easy so you don't bonk halfway through. As soon as you're done drop down and knock out 10-20 pushups. Get back up and start another round, or try a different combination. Go through this routine 3 times (6 rounds total) and you will be pumped up and sweating like an Oldie.

This is called high intensity interval training and it will put some tone in your muscles and dissolve lots of flab....
                      I tried this today!!! Thanks again. this was definitely an ass kicker. And I was going slow and could only finish two rounds each side lol!
                      sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
                        Does anyone know the benefits of a high intensity pick up basketball game(half court) versus those of slower long distance running? I don't wanna neglect my legs and lungs but at the same time I haven't been able to get into a regimented running routine. I figure 3 to 5 pickup games of 3 on 3 at full speed is a decent amount of cardio?
                        I'm no expert, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Lawton, I went to AIT there when I joined the Marines. Field Artilleryn which is why I can't hear lol! You're right about missing the the time you were in. I'm constantly remembering the good and bad times, the places , the booze etc....good times indeed
                          15 years in the FA, I loved it. I had almost every job in an FA battalion that can be held. I loved it.

And yes, I have pretty good hearing loss too. Funny how they make it mandatory that you wear earplugs but woe is you if you miss a radio call, which is why most people never used the earplugs unless the IG or a General were around.

Here's a picture of me and my favorite battery. I was XO at the time. That's me on top of the big boys. We were an 8" M110 BN. I loved those guns. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and we had to retire the guns to convert over to MLRS, Multiple Launch Rocket System. Much more firepower, but not nearly as fun since it was mostly computerized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie battery 3rd BN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	87130

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

...Here's a picture of me and my favorite battery. I was XO at the time. That's me on top of the big boys. We were an 8" M110 BN. I loved those guns.
                            [ATTACH]131[/ATTACH]
                            Geez, you're picture is giving me flashbacks to 1989 and Cher straddling the Big Guns in her video If I could turn back time.
                            Filmed on the USS Missouri BB-63.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              Geez, you're picture is giving me flashbacks to 1989 and Cher straddling the Big Guns in her video If I could turn back time.
                              Filmed on the USS Missouri BB-63.
                              LMAO!!! That's just plain WRONG!!! Then again,Cher had a way for exuding her confidence.. hehe.
                              Last edited by metaldad; 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Apr 2007

[QUOTE=Chris M;3963]15 years in the FA, I loved it. I had almost every job in an FA battalion that can be held. I loved it.

And yes, I have pretty good hearing loss too. Funny how they make it mandatory that you wear earplugs but woe is you if you miss a radio call, which is why most people never used the earplugs unless the IG or a General were around.

Here's a picture of me and my favorite battery. I was XO at the time. That's me on top of the big boys. We were an 8" M110 BN. I loved those guns. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and we had to retire the guns to convert over to MLRS, Multiple Launch Rocket System. Much more firepower, but not nearly as fun since it was mostly computerized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie battery 3rd BN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	87130[/QUOTE I went to Okinawa right after school in '87 3 3rd Battalion 12th Marines. I gotta figure out how to scan and post my pics. Not avery computer savvy guy lol!! Spent 6 1/2 years in Okinawa.Visited Korea, The Philippines and Mainland Japan. God WHAT MEMORIES!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...