• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Tighten up for the Double Bump

After watching a bunch of Dee Poolers videos and seeing him do all these double bumps from the front and back, I thought I'd try working on them. Wow! Talk about working your reflexes, they really make you concentrate.

Doing the double bump on the leading fist of a front double punch and coming back with a double punch on the leading fist on the reverse double punch has been a real challenge. It looks really cool when I can nail it, but I can see I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this one as I can only get it about 30% of the time. I can see where you can add this feature to a number of combo's.

I started with just doing them on the front circle punch and on the single reverse punch. My left arm is my weak side and it's really hard to get.

Other than just working on it a lot, are there any little tips that any of you have found helpful it getting this down?

fedora
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Doing this move from the front isn't too difficult but getting that short tense double hit coming from the back seems especially difficult with my left hand.
    Practice, practice and more practice.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      Doing this move from the front isn't too difficult but getting that short tense double hit coming from the back seems especially difficult with my left hand.
      Practice, practice and more practice.

fedora
      Yep, that says it best. Reverse Double bumping is the hardest for me also.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

Good evening. Pardon the new guy but, is this what you are talking about?

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Yup, that's half of it anyway and good job and thanks for the video. What's hard for my mind and body to put together is to do the double bump with the leading hand of front double punch, pass thru and then come back and do it with the leading hand on the reverse double punch. My right hand isn't too bad but doing on my left hand feels very awkward and I have a lot of practice to do before I get it down.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
            Yup, that's half of it anyway and good job and thanks for the video. What's hard for my mind and body to put together is to do the double bump with the leading hand of front double punch, pass thru and then come back and do it with the leading hand on the reverse double punch. My right hand isn't too bad but doing on my left hand feels very awkward and I have a lot of practice to do before I get it down.

fedora
            You are kind of describing a version of a three punch combo from the front, then from reverse. It's exactly the same as three punch fist rolls, front the back.

F-Roll)x3 ' ' (R-Roll)x3 - or R-L-R ' ' R-L-R

except you are double punching the lead fist of a Double Punch

L-L ' R ' ' R-R ' L ' '

the first person I ever saw double bumping the lead fist of a Double Punch was John Baca, who did it a lot years ago. I loved watching him do that for I had never seen it before. This is like 7 or 8 years ago.

Hope to see him in Dallas in a couple of weeks with the Snowball Express convention

You can also double bump the second fist the double punches for variety.

L ' R-R ' ' R ' L-L ' '

just a thought.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

You can also double bump the second fist the double punches for variety.

L ' R-R ' ' R ' L-L ' '

just a thought.
              Thanks Alan, I just went out and tried it and I'm afraid that's all its ever going to be "just a thought". My body and brain couldn't even begin to put that one together.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...