• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brower3
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2013

Bag Pressure?

New Guy question. I have searched all over for this answer and can't find it. I know the bag should have 4 psi of air but I don't hava a gauge to register that low. I'm sure you can go by feel as well but I'm new to it and am unsure of how much give a bag should have or how much bounce is correct. Some have said as long as it doesn't hurt your hands... not much hurts my hands. I am using a msdeville ball hook swivel and a Title 9x6 red bag. How do I know when it's right?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

The basic guide has been to pump the bag up until you can easily depress your thumb about a quarter to three eighths of an inch into the belly of the bag.Some bags respond better with a little more, others a little less.

Comment

• brower3
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2013

Thanks Dutchman. Gonna do a little video in a few days.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by brower3 View Post
        New Guy question. I have searched all over for this answer and can't find it. I know the bag should have 4 psi of air but I don't hava a gauge to register that low. I'm sure you can go by feel as well but I'm new to it and am unsure of how much give a bag should have or how much bounce is correct. Some have said as long as it doesn't hurt your hands... not much hurts my hands. I am using a msdeville ball hook swivel and a Title 9x6 red bag. How do I know when it's right?
        Hi Brower,

Check the tips under speed bag section. As long as all the leather is pushed out smooth you should be ok. After you punch a little you will be able to tell if it sounds "flat" a bit and will also see the bag flatten out when it hits the board, as well as see and feel your fist sink into it. that may mean it's a bit soft. But if you do not feel your fist sink in at all it is probably a bit too hard, and you can usually feel when it's too hard, for it feels like a brick when you hit it. If you notice some pain around the your little finger knuckle contact point, or aching in the hands (especially the sides) than the bag might also be a bit too hard.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
          • Apr 2012

I bought a gauge from a soccer store, it was in bar pressure thou, just had to do the conversions to psi. Went online for that.
          Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• BigDogDaddyD
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2018

Speed Bag Pump

Hey folks. The following is submitted as my humble opinion.

1. Have had several good bladders go bad at the valve, so I don't want to poke the bladder once with a pump, and then again with a pressure gauge. So decided to get a pump with an attached gauge. And needed one that would easily show 4 psi. Following 3 gauges are popular now, and they're less than $20 at Amazon or Walmart: Under Armour Pump, Zimtown Pump, and Pocketpump w/Gauge.

2. Pump with flexible hoses allow the bag to move a bit while you pump. I have found this prevents me from breaking needles.

3. Also look at the tip of your air needle. Use a magnifying glass if needed. Many have barbs at the tip where they punched the air holes. I use a piece of fine sandpaper and file them down. ALWAYS use Vaseline or some kind of lube before inserting the needle.

Thanks folks. Have a great day
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BigDogDaddyD; 09-03-2018, 09:39 AM. Reason: Added infor.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

I have the Under Armour. Love it!

Originally posted by BigDogDaddyD View Post
              Hey folks. The following is submitted as my humble opinion.

1. Have had several good bladders go bad at the valve, so I don't want to poke the bladder once with a pump, and then again with a pressure gauge. So decided to get a pump with an attached gauge. And needed one that would easily show 4 psi. Following 3 gauges are popular now, and they're less than $20 at Amazon or Walmart: Under Armour Pump, Zimtown Pump, and Pocketpump w/Gauge.

2. Pump with flexible hoses allow the bag to move a bit while you pump. I have found this prevents me from breaking needles.

3. Also look at the tip of your air needle. Use a magnifying glass if needed. Many have barbs at the tip where they punched the air holes. I use a piece of fine sandpaper and file them down. ALWAYS use Vaseline or some kind of lube before inserting the needle.

Thanks folks. Have a great day

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...