• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toti2011
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2013

Boxing Swivel

Hi All,

May i ask you if you know what is the best swivel in the market?

Currently I'm using the "Everlast Elite Adjustable Speedbag Platform" which i think the swivel is not responding in a quick way when you hit the speed bag to the right and left (not that quick).

Kindly can you please help on this issue?

Also, can you please advise about the best speed bag?

Thanks all and May GOD bless you.
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hi Toti2011 and welcome to the forum. If you can upload a few pictures of your platform, it will help us diagnose the issues you are having with it.

Vibration is one of the main problems with performance. Vibration can diminish the rebounding of the bag against the drum. The quality and design of the platform and drum, along with the type of speed bag and swivel you are using are all factors in the quality of performance. It also depends on the installation of the platform. So many variables…

The more stabile your platform is, the better the play. The Everlast Elite is an adjustable platform. And, in my opinion, most adjustable platforms diminish the quality of the performance because of the moving parts–making it less stabile.

The Everlast platform has 2 metal supports going all the way to the edge of the drum, correct? This is a good thing. The platforms with the V-design stop right in the middle of the drum. Why they designed it this way is a mystery to me. It leaves no structural support at the far edge of the drum, which is where the speed bag strikes and needs something more than just the drum to rebound off of. Hope this makes sense.
    You can help diminish the vibration coming from the platform by placing a 20 lb. bag of sand (make sure it's inside a plastic bag and taped up really good). I don't recommend solid objects like metal weights. Solid objects don't absorb and disperse the vibration and they might create even more vibration, or worse, they will actually vibrate off of the drum!

The quality of your speed bag and the bladder inside the bag plays a big part in performance as well. I find that you can't go wrong with a good Title speed bag with an orange bladder. It would be a good idea to order a few orange bladders (very inexpensive) from Title to have on hand when you get a bag with a bad bladder.

If you're using a U-bolt style swivel, it's great for basic boxing punches. The chain link swivel is also good for basic boxing. But, both of these swivels can be noisy and they will make it harder for you to advance to complicated elbow strikes and combinations. Most of the seasoned baggers here on the forum will agree that a ball-hook swivel is best way to go. I think Everlast still sells an inexpensive ball-hook swivel (with a nylon ball that sits in the plastic base of the swivel). And of course, there are two of us on the forum who build and sell custom ball-hook swivels.

I hope this information helps. Post a video (via YouTube) or upload some pictures here, if possible…
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Toti2011 View Post
      Hi All,

May i ask you if you know what is the best swivel in the market?

Currently I'm using the "Everlast Elite Adjustable Speedbag Platform" which i think the swivel is not responding in a quick way when you hit the speed bag to the right and left (not that quick).

Kindly can you please help on this issue?

Also, can you please advise about the best speed bag?

Thanks all and May GOD bless you.
      Hello Toti2011.

the "best swivel in the market" is never more than a personal opinion, and best defined by a few parameters based on the punchers skill and training desires. BEST can also be defined several ways, such as

"The fastest" or "BEST for multidirectional punching" or "BEST for making bag changing easier (thick loops on some bags..)" or "BEST for making it difficult to steal the bag off the swivel".

Same with "the BEST speed bag". That can depend on your meaning of "Best". ie, fastest or highest quality or best shape, or within a certain price range - etc. I guarentee if you ask 20 baggers for the "BEST meaning "fastest" you may get 20 opinions.

I can only tell you my opinions. The BEST swivel design for personal punching is the Ball hook design. Some like the U-bolt, some the chain link, but I prefer the ball hook. The "Best Ballhook" is also up for debate, but the Deville ballhook made by forum member MsDeville or the Evil Swivel made by forum member Jumpcannon are both excellent choices. Both models are very fast and efficient, with the Deville Model being a bit quieter during use due to the fact that the housing is not metal.

Both of these are high quality custom made swivels and you get them by ordering via this forum Personal Message (PM) system. Other ball hook models can be found on ebay or craigs listings, if you know what you're looking for.

As for best bags, Again, many options. But IMO you can't go wrong with the Bags from Titleboxing or the new Lazer Bag model by Balazsboxing.

but there are many other bag choices.

Good luck in your quest, and don't be surprised if someone else's idea of "Best" leaves you still wondering. It's seems to be our life long quest.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...