• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

YMCA Meeting

Today was the day. I met with a couple of people at the YMCA in Ft. Myers. Presented the concept of building platforms providing swivels, bags and teaching. It seems to be a go with only one more layer of management to clear. They were very enthusiastic. Wanted to know what my angle was. They were quite surprised when I told them this would all be free of charge. I brought the Bible to show the sequence of learning and a recent video of mine. They plan on putting it on the website to market.. My question to Alan...Do you mind if they use " Put a little rythm in your workout " on the website or for advertising? If by chance someone has an extra swivel or a bag they dont have a need for could you pm me? I will purchase or at the very least pay for the shipping. Going to need 4 swivels and 4 bags. My intent on the platforms will be just my standard wood frame type.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by swfl View Post
    Today was the day. I met with a couple of people at the YMCA in Ft. Myers. Presented the concept of building platforms providing swivels, bags and teaching. It seems to be a go with only one more layer of management to clear. They were very enthusiastic. Wanted to know what my angle was. They were quite surprised when I told them this would all be free of charge.
    Glad to hear it went well the the SW Florida - Fort Meyers YMCA. Hopefully the next level will be as receptive to management.

I brought the Bible to show the sequence of learning and a recent video of mine. They plan on putting it on the website to market.. My question to Alan...Do you mind if they use " Put a little rythm in your workout " on the website or for advertising?
    That is an interesting development. I'm always open to "marketing" ideas for the SBB and certainly would not mind if my phrase "Put a Little Rhythm in Your Workout (tm)" is used in conjunction with your speed bag activities. But we might need to talk a bit offline about "marketing" and "fulfillment" of orders or how the Book or DVD would be provided to any members that attend, if they want it. My only experience with that was in Sarasota before the era of digital ebooks, and the Y needed the physical paperback on hand for sale. For years their website listed EO as the instructor, but no mention of the book or links to online sale outlets. The "marketing" at that local level was just E.O. having it on hand and showing it to all his students. For a few years I occasionally got a phone call or email from various people he taught.

If your location lists the SBB book or DVD on their website I am wondering how they plan on fulfilling any orders from members or non-members that may decide to purchase online. Of course they may not want to provide a purchasing link from their website, but just mention it as part of the program info. Perhaps a flyer could be provided by you or them for purchase. In Sarasota, after the original case of books and DVD's were gone (they bought them), They had a flyer given to interested speed baggers about the SBB and they could either contact me or order at their discount via a Tear off bottom section.

Reviewing this page, and their entire website I don't see any outward links to products so I expect it would be handled internally, especially since you are doing this without charge, and I assume members will not be paying for your teaching.

by the way, here are the current Fort Meyer "personal trainers" (pdf will open)

If by chance someone has an extra swivel or a bag they dont have a need for could you pm me? I will purchase or at the very least pay for the shipping. Going to need 4 swivels and 4 bags. My intent on the platforms will be just my standard wood frame type.
    Gotta check my "reserves" on equipment for that one.

congrats on a great first step!! Good luck.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2013

Thanks Alan. When I was asking about using the term it was only for the website in the "Programs" tab as one of many descriptive speed bag terms. As far as the book and dvd, my intent was to direct them online for purchase. In no way am I considering any type of sales. Nor, are they.The book will be shown during the session only, I think. Had considered buying another and hanging it from a chain and padlock. That brings me to another concern. Theft. Ubolt with wire through the hole? What do you think would be the most secure swivel and bag connection?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Alan. When I was asking about using the term it was only for the website in the "Programs" tab as one of many descriptive speed bag terms. As far as the book and dvd, my intent was to direct them online for purchase. In no way am I considering any type of sales. Nor, are they.The book will be shown during the session only, I think. Had considered buying another and hanging it from a chain and padlock. That brings me to another concern. Theft. Ubolt with wire through the hole? What do you think would be the most secure swivel and bag connection?
        IMO The most secure way to keep a bag from being stolen is taking it down when class is done, and how you can do that depends on the swivel. Ballhooks are the easiest with little left to be stolen. Chainlinks will require the bottom part to be constantly screwed on and off, endangering the threads to be cross threaded if care is not taken, and u-bolts require the "U" part to be taken down with the bag, for if they are left on the board they could disappear and locking pins lost.

My own experience with YMCA's is that if it is left alone or unsecured for a few days and can be stolen, it will be. Just too many workout bags and backpacks to put small, unsecured stuff. Especially if there is a high volume of kids and teens. I suggest you have a replacement plan for bags and swivels and try to get the Y to buy as much of it as you can.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• justo(c)
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          IMO The most secure way to keep a bag from being stolen is taking it down when class is done, and how you can do that depends on the swivel. Ballhooks are the easiest with little left to be stolen. Chainlinks will require the bottom part to be constantly screwed on and off, endangering the threads to be cross threaded if care is not taken, and u-bolts require the "U" part to be taken down with the bag, for if they are left on the board they could disappear and locking pins lost.

My own experience with YMCA's is that if it is left alone or unsecured for a few days and can be stolen, it will be. Just too many workout bags and backpacks to put small, unsecured stuff. Especially if there is a high volume of kids and teens. I suggest you have a replacement plan for bags and swivels and try to get the Y to buy as much of it as you can.
          People really do enjoy ruining the fun for everyone else, don't they?

Maybe we will be having conversation in the future, when I am good enough, eh? :P
          Last edited by justo(c); 10-15-2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• swfl
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2013

Good evening. The final layer of management has given approval. Next Tuesday I will be installing 3 platforms. The plan is leave one bag and a u-bolt with a small screw through the end with locktight and stripped threads beyond the nut. Hopefully this will deter theft. To start we are going to do twice a month for 1.5 hours each. The first one is penciled for Aug. 14. While onsite I will bring the bottom of two ballhook swivels and a several bags. This should be very interesting. Off we go!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Good evening. The final layer of management has given approval. Next Tuesday I will be installing 3 platforms. The plan is leave one bag and a u-bolt with a small screw through the end with locktight and stripped threads beyond the nut. Hopefully this will deter theft. To start we are going to do twice a month for 1.5 hours each. The first one is penciled for Aug. 14. While onsite I will bring the bottom of two ballhook swivels and a several bags. This should be very interesting. Off we go!
              Sounds like a great plan. Here's hoping you get some serious baggers to show up! Stick with what you know, you'll do fine, and trust that WE your forum brothers are here to help if we can.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2013

Really going back to basic skills, slowing everything down and working on control. Step by step through the Bible. The people and this forum have been priceless. Thank you all

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...