• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belfort_fan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2013

Help with platform

I am new to this forum but not new to forums in general. I'm a member on a billiards forum and have thousands of posts, itrader, rep etc. I did a brief search but noticed the platform area hadnt been visited in a while. My question is, what is the best platform material to use. I'm sure the answer is probably on here somewhere and some will say one is better than another. I have only had a bag a few months and started out using a slice of solid hickory about 4 inches thick. It eventually split so I laminated a variety of different woods with the bottom being pine, probably way to soft. The bag rebounded a lot better off the harder wood but still not like you see on the YouTube videos for instance. I have a Golds Gym, Ring to Cage and just got a ProMex bag last week. I have two swivels, an older ball and hook (maybe Everlast) and a U-bolt swivel I purchased not long ago. With the ball and hook, the hook will sometimes unscrew from the ball. The U-bolt is very well made but sometimes the bag is hard to control.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Belfort_fan View Post
    I am new to this forum but not new to forums in general. I'm a member on a billiards forum and have thousands of posts, itrader, rep etc. I did a brief search but noticed the platform area hadnt been visited in a while. My question is, what is the best platform material to use. I'm sure the answer is probably on here somewhere and some will say one is better than another. I have only had a bag a few months and started out using a slice of solid hickory about 4 inches thick. It eventually split so I laminated a variety of different woods with the bottom being pine, probably way to soft. The bag rebounded a lot better off the harder wood but still not like you see on the YouTube videos for instance. I have a Golds Gym, Ring to Cage and just got a ProMex bag last week. I have two swivels, an older ball and hook (maybe Everlast) and a U-bolt swivel I purchased not long ago. With the ball and hook, the hook will sometimes unscrew from the ball. The U-bolt is very well made but sometimes the bag is hard to control.
    Greeting Belfort fan

The "best" material is difficult to define, for all types have been used, (Single piece wood, multi-piece wood, single layer and multi-layer wood, plywood, synthetic wood, hardwoods, softwoods, UHMW Polyethylene, steel, concrete etc.). I personally have not hit on all of them, but have hit on most wood types. My personal opinion is that the exact material is not nearly as important as the thickness and stability of the board. Unwanted vibration or instability effects the actual rebounding action of the bag far more than the type of surface material it hits. I think the type of surface material and thickness will make a difference in the "sound" of the bag hitting it, for some boards give a deeper, fuller rebound sound than others, but I think the actual quality of "the rebound" is much more dependent on the station stability.

I have two swivels, an older ball and hook (maybe Everlast) and a U-bolt swivel I purchased not long ago. With the ball and hook, the hook will sometimes unscrew from the ball. The U-bolt is very well made but sometimes the bag is hard to control.
    Is this a plastic ballhook swivel? the metal everlast ballhooks have a small set screw that is tightened to hold the straight shank inside. the plastic ball version had a threaded shank that tends to twirl and unscrew. (look further down that page for info on plastic ballhook).
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Belfort_fan
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for the info. Here are a few pictures of the swivels I have and the platform I am using now. The platform is roughly 25 inches across and 3 to 4 inches thick. The worn looking areas are actually where I sanded it down super smooth thinking would would help out. It does have some vibration but for what little time I have in it, its not bad and should be an easy fix.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Belfort_fan
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2013

Yeah the B/H swivel is less than desireable, it was in my basement when I moved in. The U-bolt swivel seems to be really good quality and is much better than the other. I can't remember the brand but I'm pretty sure I purchased it on eBay. I looked for the powermill swivels but didn't see any for sale.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

That ballhook appears to be a half-ball with the threaded shank to go inside. If that is an everlast then I have never seen that model. We have had several much older swivels with that configuration by benlee I think.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Belfort_fan
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            That ballhook appears to be a half-ball with the threaded shank to go inside. If that is an everlast then I have never seen that model. We have had several much older swivels with that configuration by benlee I think.
            I really got no idea what it is, Everlast was a guess because I saw some similar but they could have also been mistaken... Im gonna reinforce the platform and mounting areas today and see what happens. To those who have posted, thanks for all the advice so far.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

As far as the ball hook unscrewing you may try Locktight or maybe even super glue to stop that. Locktight probably isn't the name but you should be able to google it. Just make sure to not get anything on the ball or socket surface.

Comment

• Belfort_fan
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2013

Got a Deville swivel recently and just finished up the new platform mount
                Attached Files

Comment

• Belfort_fan
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2013

Almost ready to hang
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Almost ready to hang
                    A BEAST is Born! that sucker is not going anywhere.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Belfort_fan
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      Did you build that platform ?
                      Yes, after trial and error this is the finish product. The platform is laminated about 4.5 inches thick and covered with felt on top and around. The way it was previously mounted I had some weight setting on it and the felt kept it from moving around. The mount is angle iron with plate welded around the end and carriage bolted from top to bottom. I also added some tabs near the back for added support. The whole thing weighs around 85 pounds.

Here's a little better picture and ill post one up after I get it up and running
                      Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...