• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p4rma
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2013

Newbie - To Upgrade Or Not

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm glad there's somewhere I can go for advise!

So I've had a Bryan Speed Bag Platform & Ball for some time now, haven't really used it because it was just really loud. The swivel looks terrible and it vibrates well a lot! I've tried adding weight however, I don't want to push it too much and have it come off the wall.

I'm just purchased these;

In the hope this would make an improvement.

What would you guys recommend I do? Try and fix this one or just go for a brand new platform.

I also noticed when I hit the bag the speed of it is no where near what I've seen on videos on youtube, has anyone else experienced this and if so what can be done?

Hope these pictures give a better idea of what I mean.

Thanks!
    p4rma
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Hello p4rma and welcome to the forum. You will find some of the nicest most helpful people ever here. The bag looks nice. The swivel is what I started on and still like very much. I think most here would recommend using a ball type of swivel (MsDeville sells a great one)and I do agree. Looking back it may have been to my advantage just starting with it rather than having to learn skills twice. The u bolt is more forgiving but has restricted movements when doing more complicated things. The platform to me needs several things. First it looks to only mount to one stud. This needs to be spread over a larger area and incorporate at least two studs. This can be done with wood inexpensively or steel if you have the skills. The platform itself looks to be thin. You could simply add some layers of wood to get at least 2 inches of thickness. The platform mount should be changed as well for a rock solid setup. The important thing is to hit the bag. I bet Alan and several others here could walk up to that and make it look great. My two cents.

Comment

• p4rma
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for the replies. I just fitted the Everlast Professional Swivel and it seems to be ok. I think in terms of the vibration besides the fact the platform isn't the best was the fact that it was coming off the wall and one of the screws had snapped. I'm going to try and reinforce it and see how it works out. Obviously if it is still the same I'll probably look at a new platform.

Does anyone have any recommendations for platforms?

Thanks again

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Welcome to the forum, p4rma

Originally posted by p4rma View Post
        Thanks for the replies. I just fitted the Everlast Professional Swivel and it seems to be ok. I think in terms of the vibration besides the fact the platform isn't the best was the fact that it was coming off the wall and one of the screws had snapped. I'm going to try and reinforce it and see how it works out. Obviously if it is still the same I'll probably look at a new platform.

Does anyone have any recommendations for platforms?

Thanks again

I'm going to agree with Ventanakaz who said "....

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        I'm gonna be honest and in my opinion that's a crappie design platform,
        The biggest problem I have with that design is the single vertical pole on the wall. Single vertical pole speed bag platforms, either wall mounted or free standing will never be as stable as a two vertical pole system. I also personally prefer the framing that holds the board (horizontal frame) be out toward the ends of the board, closer to the rebound area of the bag. Your set up is the worst of all worlds (my opinion only) for stability, because you have a single vertical pole on the wall and only one single horizontal pole over the board. I'm going to bet that no matter how much weight you pile on top of that setup, it will never be completely stable, ..particularly if you get a bit more advanced and more powerful moves with elbows and side punching. That set up will sway, regardless of the swivel. again, just my opinion. If I had a set up like that and could not trade up or get another, I would come up with some type of bracing over the outer edges of the board or attach something for cabling from the outer side edges of the board to the floor. similar to my old freestanding floor frame seen at the bottom of this link.

As for recommendations for you available in UK, try these:

RBK platform ( like the I-box in america)

Probox system (board appears pretty thin on this one, so consider getting a heavier, thicker piece of wood if possible.

And the Deville Ballhook if at all possible.

hope this helps. good luck.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ExEODCDR
          • Apr 2011

Go to Home Depot - get a 24" round peice of pine, carried in every Lowes and home depot for less then $25. Pick up some 2x4 scraps from a construction site and build a deck. You can stain it, paint it, sticker it up. Grab an old bag/backpack (Fill a plastic bag with sand first then put into the bag) and put it on the top and vibrations go away! Speedbag board on the cheap, it's yours and awesome! Tons of guys have built their own after getting bit by the bug!

eX
          -
          Owner/Operator
          www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...