• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rockstar127 View Post
    Not trying to get off the subject, not sure Alan if you have seen the video of Floyd hitting it? He has like a 6in platform it looks and sounds amazing, do you think thats overkill?
    Yes I have seen that board, it was actually the topic of a fairly long discussion some time ago. A thick, sturdy board that doesn't vibrate is important, but I'm not sure it has to be thick enough to hold a volkswagen parked on top. I'm pretty sure he could get by with a few inches off that board. I don't know why it's so thick, but it certainly is a conversation piece.

What dimensions would you say is best for hitting the gold bag on?
    Any board that is larger than the bag you are hitting is a good size. the Yellow title is an 8x5, and it will do fine on a 24 inch board, with the bag belly contacting the board about 2 inches from the edge. The larger bags, particular 11x8 and larger are a bit more challenging on a 24 inch board for they can go a past the edge a bit. For the bigger bags I would go with at least a 30 inch board if it was available and the wall can hold the extra weight.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rockstar127
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2013

Awesome, thank you for that knowledge, i think i may order me an I-box this weekend!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Yes I have seen that board, it was actually the topic of a fairly long discussion some time ago. A thick, sturdy board that doesn't vibrate is important, but I'm not sure it has to be thick enough to hold a volkswagen parked on top. I'm pretty sure he could get by with a few inches off that board. I don't know why it's so thick, but it certainly is a conversation piece.

Any board that is larger than the bag you are hitting is a good size. the Yellow title is an 8x5, and it will do fine on a 24 inch board, with the bag belly contacting the board about 2 inches from the edge. The larger bags, particular 11x8 and larger are a bit more challenging on a 24 inch board for they can go a past the edge a bit. For the bigger bags I would go with at least a 30 inch board if it was available and the wall can hold the extra weight.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Awesome, thank you for that knowledge, i think i may order me an I-box this weekend!
        an excellent choice. Many of us have hit the i-box at the gatherings, where we have four or five of them up, and they do great. You should be very happy with that board.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
          • Apr 2013

I recently bought an i-box based on Alan's advice & I'm very happy with it. I really wanted an adjustable platform and the i-box looked to be a lot more stable because it locks into place on both sides instead of just in the center like the cork-screw adjustables, but what really sold me was when Alan said he didn't know any i-box owners that wre disapointed in their set-up.

I have it mounted to a cinderblock wall but there was still some vibration in the board. Most people here solve that with a sandbag on top. I cut down a 2 x 4 and wedged it betwwen the top of the platform (at the front edge where I saw the most vibration) and the ceiling joist/beam. It completely eliminated ANY vibration and it made a HUGE difference in performance. I will post a picture later. I had all these elaborate ideas & the old man took two seconds with a power saw & totally eliminated the problem.

This worked so well that I plan on cutting additional pieces of 2 x 4 to use with different size bags.

Balazs makes Hardwood platforms (Thicker, more stable) in 24" & 30" sizes BUT the i-box will only take the 24" version. It sells for $230 but it's not listed on the site, so you will have to call/E Mail your request. (I might eventually upgrade to the hardwood board just because it LOOKS so much nicer)

Re: Size - I am using a Balazs 7 x 10 lazer and the belly of this bag comes no-where near the edge of my 24" platform. I could easily use an 8 x 11 bag or larger and still not have to worry about the edge of the platform.

That is the extent of my knowledge about the i-box (or any other brand) platform.

Comment

• rockstar127
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2013

great info thanks ver y much guys, just gives me all the more reason to buy the I-Box! I agree the hardwood does look sweet and im sure is worth the extra penny
            Originally posted by Marlon View Post
            I recently bought an i-box based on Alan's advice & I'm very happy with it. I really wanted an adjustable platform and the i-box looked to be a lot more stable because it locks into place on both sides instead of just in the center like the cork-screw adjustables, but what really sold me was when Alan said he didn't know any i-box owners that wre disapointed in their set-up.

I have it mounted to a cinderblock wall but there was still some vibration in the board. Most people here solve that with a sandbag on top. I cut down a 2 x 4 and wedged it betwwen the top of the platform (at the front edge where I saw the most vibration) and the ceiling joist/beam. It completely eliminated ANY vibration and it made a HUGE difference in performance. I will post a picture later. I had all these elaborate ideas & the old man took two seconds with a power saw & totally eliminated the problem.

This worked so well that I plan on cutting additional pieces of 2 x 4 to use with different size bags.

Balazs makes Hardwood platforms (Thicker, more stable) in 24" & 30" sizes BUT the i-box will only take the 24" version. It sells for $230 but it's not listed on the site, so you will have to call/E Mail your request. (I might eventually upgrade to the hardwood board just because it LOOKS so much nicer)

Re: Size - I am using a Balazs 7 x 10 lazer and the belly of this bag comes no-where near the edge of my 24" platform. I could easily use an 8 x 11 bag or larger and still not have to worry about the edge of the platform.

That is the extent of my knowledge about the i-box (or any other brand) platform.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Great insight and post about i-box system. I really love this wall system, just wish the hanging frames over the board did not meet in the center directly over the swivel connection. Not a big deal for most folks I realize, but for those of us who would constantly change swivels, it's not ideal.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
                • Apr 2013

First off....Thanks for the advice on the platform & the technique. You haven't steered me wrong yet & the i-box is everything you said it was.

I've seen you use several different platforms in various videos (The Bible DVD & some on You Tube) I'm curious what your primary set up is (Board, bag & swivel) and what modifications you have made to it.

Once I'm ready to upgrade my swivel I'm thinking I will have to drill out the board & i-box so that I can use bolts rather than screws. I will probably want to try out multiple swivels, but for now I figure the slower stock Everlast 4444 that came with my board is my friend as I learn. But it's pretty loud & those Deville's look really smooth, so that's probably my first swivel upgrade.

Finally made SOME progress on the linking stuff, I'm still awful at it but I "get" the rythym I am looking for. NOW my issue is reverse fist rolls. I'm not video worthy yet, but getting there.

Thanks again for all the help.
                Last edited by Marlon; 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

First off....Thanks for the advice on the platform & the technique. You haven't steered me wrong yet & the i-box is everything you said it was.

I've seen you use several different platforms in various videos (The Bible DVD & some on You Tube) I'm curious what your primary set up is (Board, bag & swivel) and what modifications you have made to it.

Once I'm ready to upgrade my swivel I'm thinking I will have to drill out the board & i-box so that I can use bolts rather than screws. I will probably want to try out multiple swivels, but for now I figure the slower stock Everlast 4444 that came with my board is my friend as I learn. But it's pretty loud & those Deville's look really smooth, so that's probably my first swivel upgrade.
                  My primary set up is in an upstairs bedroom and is the Primefighter 400 (top photo), made in Noel Missouri by the guys on the left and right of the next photo.
                  This has the support Irons that hold the board out on the sides of the board, so I drilled the swivel holes all the way through to use 1/4 inch carriage bolts to hold my swivels with washers and butterfly nuts on top. That makes changing swivels a lot easier and eliminates worries about the screws holes getting bigger and bigger to the point of non holding tight anymore. That was a huge problem for us in my college learning days and I got sick of trying to stuff paper matches, gum or anything else we could find up into the holes to make the screws hold. Finally we gave the janitor of the building (MSU) a pint of his favorite brew at closing time, got him to turn his back while we drilled out the holes and used bolts. Problem solved. A bit harder to do on the I-box but there is a template for that floating around here that was created by one of our more engineering guru's. I think it's here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2298

In my garage I have two older style boards, one of which is seen here. This is the board that was used for filming the training videos. It was purchased a few years after it's older but twin brother, seen in the book pictures and still hanging out in the garage. Both have the center swivel holes drilled out and each has a 10-15 year old everlast ballhook on them. They are hung side by side, for the idea of "dual bagging" years ago, but that has yet to be fulfilled. One of these outside boards has been modified to attach drum triggers to it with an alexis DM5 Drum machine wired for 12 triggers placed around the board, just past the belly point of an 8x5 bag.
                  the intention was to program each of the four board areas to different drum sounds. That is still a work in progress and I think there has to be a better way than sticking external triggers to the rebound surface. Anyway, that's been on the back burner for...oh, a few years. At least two or so shoulder surgeries ago.

That's pretty much my setup. I need to clean out a location for a vertical bag, because that is just too cool to ignore, especially when you watch the likes of Juxt and Speed TommyT cut loose on it. Whoa!

as for you swivel upgrade, making the leap to the Deville Ballhook will be the best upgrade you could make, and completed as soon as possible.

Finally made SOME progress on the linking stuff, I'm still awful at it but I "get" the rythym I am looking for. NOW my issue is reverse fist rolls. I'm not video worthy yet, but getting there.

Thanks again for all the help.
                  The Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) is probably THE hardest technique at first, or at least tied with the Out and In 4way (O-I 4way). Biggest problem is getting it started usually, since you probably can't see that first fist or two hitting.

Once the bag is "into the rebounding" you will be catching it about half way down in the rebound so at that point you will be able to see your fists hitting the bag continuously. At this point the secret is, the fists are not rolling OVER each other as much as they moving next to each other, and it may feel like more of a rotational upward chopping then circular rolling motion of the fists. (see pic below, from 1973 boxing skills book. Doc called this "Reverse Riveting").

Like most fist rolling, Start slowly with a low punch count. Two fists connecting behind the bag with one rebound inbetweenis a Reverse Double Punch (RDP), three fists connecting behind the bag with one rebound inbetween is a 3-punch R-Roll. Sounds like an accented triplet. ( do it from the front, 3 punches. Yea, it sounds exactly like that) Start there. Get into the roll, 1-2-3, get out, start and exit on the same fist, probably your dominant...ie right if your are right handed. Then I suggest moving to 5 punches, keep the count odd so your dominant hand leads. This has a higher success rate at this point than trying to start and exit on different fists, particularly if you non-dominate hand (left) is a bit lost or weak in the reverse position. Once you get control of a 5 punch R-Roll, you can start doing 3 and 5 punch rolls leading and exiting with your non dominate hand (left if you're right handed). I suggest this because it is often more confusing to start and exit a roll on opposite fists when you really don't have the comfort of control of the technique movement. At this point it's to much to worry about coordinating the start and stopping of fists. It's more natural to start and stop with the same fist, and that always happens on an odd number or rebounds. Then move to the even number rebounds, 4, then 6. My belief is if you can do a 5-6 punch fist roll, you can do a 100 punch fist roll, for you now should feel the correct spacing needed and rolling motion. The rest is deciding which fist to get in and out with. Eventually you won't have to count the rebounds, but I find counting at first, (3,5 etc) Helps give you the cue when to stop once you've started. Otherwise you'll just keep trying to roll and until you crash, and then say "I can't do it". but you really can do it, for a bit, you just can't control it. Counting should give you that control.

hope that helps.
                  Attached Files
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
                    • Apr 2013

That illustration is excellent! I WAS overlapping my fists (intentionally). Thanks again...can't wait to go hit my toy now!

Comment

• Marlon
                      • Apr 2013

Alans set up

Hey, just realized half my post was missing -

1. Speedbag paltform in your bedroom? Outstanding. You might be onto something there.

2. Drilling out the board - Thanks for the template. I plan on upgrading the swivel shortly. The i-box platform hold the swivel without a problem, but I can see where repeated swivel changing will pooch out the wood. Butterfly nuts are a great idea.

3. Vertical Bags & Double Bags - I'm amazed you haven't tried em yet. I await the videos. I'm thinking of heading to NJ in July just to watch those guys (& others) hit.

4. Swivel Upgrade - MsDeville just informed me that my #13 is en route! Im still getting the hang of my Everlast U-Bolt, so the thought of the bag flying all over makes me kinda nervous, but what the heck...Can't wait to mess around with it.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                        so i switched back and forth between bags, both bags are fast but the title atomic just seems like hitting air, although the leone is light, it at least feels alot more like your hitting a bag. lets just say if i was to lose the title atomic bag i wouldn't miss it... ;-) back to baggin.
                        I can just hear that title atomic bag, rolling down the street, alone singing

"Looking for love in all the wrong places...."

Sadly, a lot of speed bags end up that way. I too have sent a few packing (everlast 4214....)
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                          correction on the psi, i thought i had over 4 psi in the leone small bag (i went by feel) when i checked it, it was just over 3 psi, so i pumped it up to 4 psi and this bag is faster than the title atomic 5x7... :-)
                          I have both sizes in the Leone and they are my favorite bags and with 4 PSI they fly.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...