• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salvatore Tortellini
    • Feb 2013

New person

Hello Folks,
    I am a new member. I retired and recently discovered this site. I have always had a small boxing type gym in the basement or garage but I have never seen folks hit the speed bag the way you guys do. Amazing and inspiring. Dee was kind of enough to ship me two swivels and I have a small assortment of bags. I even dug up an old Everlast Ball Swivel that I had purchased back in 76 and immediately replaced with something that I thought was better (ignorance is bliss). Anyway, I am certainly getting an education. Thank you for all the videos and the learning experience.
    Salvatore Torellini (Dan De Vita)
  • Salvatore Tortellini
    • Feb 2013

ventanakaz,
    I am not very computer savvy. I'm getting ready to take a trip to Florida from Northern Michigan. I hope to see one of my nephews and I will ask him to lend a hand in posting a photo of it. Might take a couple of days, I am not leaving until this weekend. It just looks like a clean, oiled, old Everlast ballhook swivel. It's been packed up in a plastic bag for years. I still have an Everlast leather heavybag that I got at the same time but the packing has settled and it's like hitting a brick in the lower sections. They are from back in the day when Everlast really shined (like the 4200 speedbag they used to make). Now, I prefer Cleto Reyes double end and speedbags, and heavy bags and gloves from Thailand and Mexico. I did just buy a Pro Mex bag though based on this sites reviews. I found it interesting that a Pro Mex was made in China. it's a nice bag though and I have some of the orange bladders which I learned will improve it. I love this site.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on the retirement! Lots of info here and a great community.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
        • Feb 2013

Thank you Zaza. The video's are mesmerizing.
        Ventanazak, I have one of the old Cleto Reyes round double end bags up. I have a few of the newer ones which are shaped more like speedbags but it is hard to find bladders that fit those correctly because the valve is on the upper side near the top of the bag. You can get round double end bladders much more easily. I don't find much difference in hitting them just prefer the round one because of the bladder issue.
        I've got a 20 year old black leather Cleto Reyes heavy bag hanging and a much newer Fairtex heavy bag and tear drop bag all of which I stuffed myself. I just bought a Ring to Cage Angle bag which I am getting ready to stuff. The old Everlast is sitting along with a few others and might get rotated back into the line up. Who knows?
        Right now I am really going to concentrate on learning some speedbag techniques since I discovered that I have spent a lot of years pounding on it and not really appreciating what you could do with it.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

As far as a bladder for the Cleto double end, we were just talking about that on another thread here.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
            • Apr 2012

Welcome to the forum.
            Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
              • Feb 2013

Thank you Niki Knuckles.
              Dutchman, you are right that is Cleto Reyes bladder for their newer double end bags. They never used to be advertised as speed bag bladders as far as I know. The problem is with the bladder nipple pulling away from the double end bag with that type of bladder. Even if you glue it - it never was as secure for me as a plain round double end bag with the bladder valve opening in the usual place. Also Cleto Reyes old round style bag was crafted more robustly. Times change though and I haven't seen one of the old round ones in ages.

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome, ST. This is a great place for everything baggin. And you won't find a better group of people anywhere. Enjoy.

Retirement - great, isn't it?

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
                  • Feb 2013

Biff, Thank you, and you are right I am loving it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...