X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marlon
    • Apr 2013

I-Box or Not?

Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm about to buy a platform & bag. From what I've read here I've decided to go with a Balazs platform.

I'm going to mount it on a cinderblock wall, in a basement with a 7' ceiling and I'm leaning towards the I-Box because of the price ($229 vs $529 for the 30' non-adj) and because it seems the adjustable platform would let me use different bags.

SHOULD I spend the extra $300 and get the 30'? Will I 'outgrow' the I-box or be limited by the 24' platform? And is the 30' just THAT much better and worth the extra $$? Or would spending the extra $$$ be stupid for a rookie?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated & I look forward to posting some progress videos like the ones I have seen.
    Last edited by Marlon; 04-06-2013, 01:15 AM. Reason: additional info
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
    Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm about to buy a paltform & bag. From what I've read here I've decided to go with a Balazs platform.

I'm going to mount it on a cinderblock wall, in a basement with a 7' ceiling and I'm leaning towards the I-Box because of the price ($229 vs $529 for the 30' non-adj) and because it seems the adjustable platform would let me use different bags.

SHOULD I spend the extra $300 and get the 30'? Will I 'outgrow' the I-box or be limited by the 24' platform? And is the 30' just THAT much better and worth the extra $$? Or would spending the extra $$$ be stupid for a rookie?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated & I look forward to posting some progress videos like the ones I have seen.
    Hello Marion,

IMO, You will not be sorry to own an I-Box. I've hit many of them at our gatherings and they are rock solid, pounded by some of the heaviest hitters I've ever seen. If you can get a 30 inch board you might consider it only because of the added weight which will make it a bit more stable. As most folks improve they normally move to smaller faster bags and the larger board will not be needed except for the added stability. However, if you are one to prefer larger speed bags for power workouts, then you might want the bigger unit, but I do not know any I-box owners that are disappointed in their setup.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Marlon
      • Apr 2013

Thanks!

Thanks for responding. I'm gonna go ahead & get the i-box. I was nervous about the adjustable frame not being as stable as the non-adjustable, so it's good to hear that the i-box is 'rock solid'.

I would have spent the extra $300 if it meant avoiding putting a sandbag on top, but I wasn't looking forward to it.

I'm sure I will have many stupid questions in the future about bags & swivels, but I'm gonna get a couple of different sizes & mess around with em first.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for responding. I'm gonna go ahead & get the i-box. I was nervous about the adjustable frame not being as stable as the non-adjustable, so it's good to hear that the i-box is 'rock solid'.

I would have spent the extra $300 if it meant avoiding putting a sandbag on top, but I wasn't looking forward to it.
        Some people have put sandbags on top of them or some type of added weight. It's no big deal. The larger boards are heavier and pretty much do the same thing and I don't think the wall knows the difference.

I'm sure I will have many stupid questions in the future about bags & swivels, but I'm gonna get a couple of different sizes & mess around with em first.

Thanks again.
        There are no stupid questions, 'cause if you don't know, you don't know. Heck I'm still not sure if a pound of rice is as heavy as a pound of pennies.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...