Balazs i-Box - Swivel modification necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eCheese
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

Balazs i-Box - Swivel modification necessary?

First off, thanks for everyone who comments here, helped guide my purchase of an i-box platform with a Title Pro Black (s) bag.

Before I go setting everything up, I was wondering if the 90 degree rotation modification is necessary for the swivel mount.

Has anyone here compared the functionality with/without the change?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by eCheese View Post
    First off, thanks for everyone who comments here, helped guide my purchase of an i-box platform with a Title Pro Black (s) bag.

Before I go setting everything up, I was wondering if the 90 degree rotation modification is necessary for the swivel mount.

Has anyone here compared the functionality with/without the change?
    Hello echeese.

I assume you are asking about the modification to drill the swivel holes all the way through to use bolts instead of screws.

Screws will probably work fine, although I would get the largest, longest screws that can fit through your swivel base holes. I know plenty of folks that have used screws without problems. The problems come for folks that either change swivels a lot (some of us do to evaluate other swivels) or on high use boards that are made of softer wood, usually presswood of soft MDF materia or particle board. These cheaper boards, often used on less expensive wall units, will often allow the force or repetitive amount of punching (and force on the swivel base) to slowly push against the base and pushing against the screws over time. As the screws wiggle a bit they "open" the hole that holds them inside. The same can happen if you change swivels a lot and taking the screws in and out. At some point, they will not stay tight enough due to the holes getting worn. Obviously bolts stop that problem immediately, eliminating that potential problem. and it is easier to drill the holes all the way through a board when it is off, particularly a model with iron attachments in the center of the board rather than out by the edges.

my own personal experience with the I-box is three years of past gathering in New Jersey. We use a number of Ibox boards (thanks Balazs!) and have used screws only (I think. I don't remember drilling holes through any boards). They held up fine even with some swivel changing (duh), and under the max power of men like Speedy Tommy T, SpeedbagSkunk, SpeedbagAtaraxis, and a host of other power punchers. Especially in 2012, when we used the "speed demon" punch counter every day, which created some pretty severe stress on the board and swivel. The screws held up fine as I remember that. Perhaps the boards of today's quality hold up better than the ones of yesteryear.

But to answer your question, you might try the screws first and see how they work. IF, after a few months, the swivel base is a bit loose on the board or they need to be constantly tightened, you might change then. But it is a bit more difficult, but not impossible, on board with center iron.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• eCheese
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2013

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its not like I cant make the modification after the fact if needed, so I will probably do just what you say and use the screws for now.

I am trying to see if i can get a powermill, at which point I would probably make the modification if necessary.

Setting this bad boy up tonight.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by eCheese View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply.

Its not like I cant make the modification after the fact if needed, so I will probably do just what you say and use the screws for now.

I am trying to see if i can get a powermill, at which point I would probably make the modification if necessary.

Setting this bad boy up tonight.
        A powermill would be a great swivel, but I'm not sure if Ryan is home right now to ship them. He travels quite a bit. You might get a deville ballhook faster, which is also a terrific swivel, and a bit quieter than the powermill.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...