• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AugustChief
    • Dec 2012

Speed bag etiquette

Ladies and Gents,

We're finally in the process of installing a Speedbag platform in our ship's gym. I want to establish and make a sign clearly delineating the rules to post adjacent to the platform. (i.e. All hand jewelry -rings, bracelets- must be removed). My end state is to extend the life of the platform and bag by "Sailor proofing."

Please impart your wisdom and I'll compile your recommendations/rules.

Additionally, if you have any artwork that would bolster/accompany this future sign, please attach or include.

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this matter.

R/AugustChief
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

One of the things that we have discussed on these boards has been the proper use of the speed bag in these situations so that the equipment is not abused. They have a speed bag program on the USS Tortuga, you might want to communicate with them.http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...hlight=Tortuga

Comment

• AugustChief
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      One of the things that we have discussed on these boards has been the proper use of the speed bag in these situations so that the equipment is not abused. They have a speed bag program on the USS Tortuga, you might want to communicate with them.http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...hlight=Tortuga
      Thank You

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        U.S.S. Tortuga Pictures direct link

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

I don't know if this is pertinent in your case, but I remember being in the Navy and working out in some of the gyms provided on base in both San Diego and Long Beach where a speedbag was available. One of the things that sometimes was a issue is, how long should one person stay on it? If nobody else is around it's not an issue but sometimes you would have someone get on it and hit for an hour or so when other people were wanting to use it. Seems like some sort of time limit should be set if other people want to use it.

Also, I don't know if this still happens, I was in during the late 60s and early 70s, but some guys who were of a higher rank would leave their shirts on showing their stripes so a person of a lower class would be afraid to ask to get on the bag when the guy had been on it for extended periods of time. A set time that applies to all might help avoid that.

fedora
          Last edited by fedora; 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...