X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jollygood49
    • Jan 2013

2 weeks no bagging?!?

I just had surgery yesterday to remove a lipoma from between my shoulder blade and spine. A lipoma is a benign tumor, basically a fatty deposit, a nuisance. The doctor had to dig into my back muscle to remove the "fingers" (roots) of the lipoma and my movement is very limited now. After only a month and a week bagging I'm still freshly addicted and I'm really not looking forward to a possible two weeks off . Thankfully when the time comes that I can resume my normal activities, I think speed bagging will be one of the best exercises to rehab and repair that muscle.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Do what the doctors say. Don't rush back, the bag will be there ready, willing and able when it's safe for you. Besides, you'll be surprised how quickly you droop back into the groove.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
      I just had surgery yesterday to remove a lipoma from between my shoulder blade and spine. A lipoma is a benign tumor, basically a fatty deposit, a nuisance. The doctor had to dig into my back muscle to remove the "fingers" (roots) of the lipoma and my movement is very limited now. After only a month and a week bagging I'm still freshly addicted and I'm really not looking forward to a possible two weeks off . Thankfully when the time comes that I can resume my normal activities, I think speed bagging will be one of the best exercises to rehab and repair that muscle.
      I've had two of those removed myself and they can be deep. I still have the scars from the incisions. Maybe after a day or so, you might be able to do some one arm linking with the less affected side. I wouldn't push it though, better to heal up quick than jump in too soon and prolong the recovery.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Jollygood. Sorry to hear about your surgery. I've had a few Lipoma's removed, ....along with a few other things.

But....

You can practice the fist movements you already know how to do with simple wrist motions and replicate the bag sounds in your head.

sit in a chair, put elbows on arm rests, taking all pressure of shoulders and back. With your elbows resting on the arm rests, just flex your fists up to "home" position in front of your mouth, and use easy wrist motions to position and move your fists around. Be sure and maintain proper first alignments, so if you imagine doing a L-R front double punch, your fists (from your wrists) are in proper alignment.

You can all 12 fist punches this way, but for most folks that would be eight movements,
        the four front fist movements [Front Circle Punch (FCP), Front Straight Punch (FSP), Front Double Punch (FDP) and Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) ]

the three reverse fist movements [Reverse Single Punch (RSP), Reverse Double Punch (RDP) and Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll)

and two side fist movements, Side Single Punch, (SSP) and Side Double Punch (SDP).

Forget the elbow strikes for a while. They will come back quick once you can move your shoulders or flex your back again.

as you "air punch" replicate the exact bag beats for triplet rhythm, double bounce beat of single fist and double fist pass thru's, accent patterns of repetitive Double punching from same side or pass thru's..... This also will help you later if you try punch drumming, since you will start to feel the bag beat you are about to throw, a key part of punch drumming.

Like this, You can hit the bag in your head keep your hand motions and close fist orders in tune, and step right back under that board like you never left.

I've sat and done this, easy wrist only motions reproducing the bag beat in my head, after more operations than I care to list.

Good luck in recovery.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...