• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Bladder Matters-Now with pics

Title had free shipping last week so I ordered some bladders since they're only about 4 bucks each. I did my first bladder change out today on a Tufwear 9x6 and while it wasn't particularly easy, it wasn't too bad to deal with. Turning the bag inside out was the biggest pain. The Tufwear bladder looked like it was made from an inner tube made for a car tire. No wonder it hit so flat. The Title bladder made a huge difference. While it's not as active as my Leone or Ringside Heritage it is a nice Goldilocks bag. Not too fast and not too slow. I was ready to just give this bag away but now it's going to see some more action.

Thanks again to this forum for giving me the insight on how to do this.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
    Title had free shipping last week so I ordered some bladders since they're only about 4 bucks each. I did my first bladder change out today on a Tufwear 9x6 and while it wasn't particularly easy, it wasn't too bad to deal with. Turning the bag inside out was the biggest pain. The Tufwear bladder looked like it was made from an inner tube made for a car tire. No wonder it hit so flat. The Title bladder made a huge difference. While it's not as active as my Leone or Ringside Heritage it is a nice Goldilocks bag. Not too fast and not too slow. I was ready to just give this bag away but now it's going to see some more action.

Thanks again to this forum for giving me the insight on how to do this.

fedora
    Good to know...

Was that the rubber bladder or plastic ?
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Good to know...

Was that the rubber bladder or plastic ?
      The rubber one. I just took a guess that it would hold up better. Not sure what difference there would be in rebound action between plastic and rubber.

Update on bladder change outs. That one worked so well I also changed out the one on my 8x5 Promex. I watched people work this bag before I got it and it looked like it moved great, but the one I got was just DOA. Since I ordered several bladders of the two sizes I decided to change it out too. Again, what a difference! Here's the pic of the two I changed out.

fedora
      Last edited by fedora; 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

So that begs the question, who makes the best bladder? The ones I got from Title made a big difference but there may be ones that are even better. I see that Everlast and Cleto Reyes sells them too, has there ever been anyone that has tried them all out to see how they perform? Since they are relatively cheap, could you buy a cheaper bag and put a really good bladder in it and get the same performance without paying 80 to 100 dollars for the higher quality bags?
        Last edited by fedora; 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

So that begs the question, who makes the best bladder? The ones I got from Title made a big difference but there may be ones that are even better. I see that Everlast and Cleto Reyes sells them too, has there ever been anyone that has tried them all out to see how they perform? Since they are relatively cheap, could you buy a cheaper bag and put a really good bladder in it and get the same performance without paying 80 to 100 dollars for the higher quality bags?
          That is a possibility, although it is hard to say which really determines the overall bag performance. I tend to think the bladder is more important to the bags action than the outside leather and style (welted or not), because some "dead" bags become live with a simple bladder change.

But a cheap bag outer leather may rip or seams pop, and even the best bladder will not solve that. Cheap bags are not known for high quality workmanship so the outer leather may or may not hold up regardless of the bladder used. On the other end, with a more expensive, high quality bag the outer leather will probably not deteriorate, wear out or pop a bubble. I know some bags (outer) have outlived seven or more bladder changes (bladder valve leaks, pinholes etc). I've never seen a torn up cleto. the worst of them I remember had the bag loop busted due to high volume punching, but the punching surface of the bag looked fine.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

Speedbag, that makes sense about cheap leather and workmanship. I still wonder which replacement bladder is better?

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag, that makes sense about cheap leather and workmanship. I still wonder which replacement bladder is better?

fedora
              Well, from what I've seen (past experience) the plastic bladder used to be made in two parts, sealed at "the seam" and when my old everlast 4200's would leak I would find it on the seam. These never did patch very well, so I would end up buying a new bag, not the easiest expense for a college kid back then. the worst would be a total blow out, where the bag goes completely flat after the first rebound. Another reason to not let someone just pound away on YOUR bag as hard as then can. I'd prefer they pop their own.

the rubber bladders I've seen appear to be "one piece" not two connected together. I have not "patched" bag bladders in many years now, and have had pretty regular access to "another bag" quickly and no need to spend the time and aggravation changing bladders, but most Leaks or speed bag bladder issues I've had are leaky valve stems, not total blowouts.

from what I've seen, read and those experienced baggers whose word and insight I trust, the rubber bladders appear to make a discernable difference.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Here's the two pics of the Title and Everlast bladders. I can see what you mean by the Everlast nipple being one you can pull through. The Title doesn't have any seams, but it looks like maybe the Everlast does along the side. I wonder if they rebound the same. Next time I need one I'll buy the Everlast so I can compare. Also noticed quite a difference in shape.

fedora
                Last edited by fedora; 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...