• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedbagbrad
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2013

Speedbag swivels

I am fairly new to the speedbag and just got a home set up. I notice I have to use a lot more force to get the bag rebounding fast like most videos i have watched on here. Could the swivel be not as smooth as mine was standard with the platform but it seems cheap?

I was wanting a quality swivel anyways to make certain of this but I have searched for hours and can not find where to buy one. If anyone can lead me to the correct site. I wouldn't mind a metal ballhook swivel but there's none out there
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hi SBB, and welcome to the forum.

Since you are "fairly new" to speed bagging, I suggest you don't worry about hitting the bag fast at this point. As with any new interest, it's best if you take it slowly when getting started. Concentrate on hitting the bag slowly and with control, at first. Once you master that, your speed will naturally increase.

Those videos that you watched, I'm sure were posted by baggers with years of experience. You can't expect to get under the board and hit as well (or as fast) as they do, and keep the bag under control.

It's somewhat similar to watching someone play the piano, and then sitting down and expecting to play the same song. It takes practice. Thankfully, it doesn't take as long as it takes to master an instrument, but you get the idea.

The reason that your bag may not move as fast as what you see on video could be caused by other reasons too. The bag may be underinflated, there may be lots of vibration in your platform, you may not be striking the bag with the proper form......etc. What type of swivel do you currently have?

It may be a U-bolt, chain link, or ball hook. Regardless of the swivel, it may be best to work on your control for a few weeks or months, and then upgrade to a ball hook swivel, assuming you wish to hit from all around the bag.

There are two people on the forum who make ball hook swivels - MsDeville and jumpcannon. Both are great swivels in their own right. You can contact them via PM or email.
    Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    Email: evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• speedbagbrad
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2013

Yeah I realize it's gonna take a whole lot of time. I've been training two hours a night and I believe i'm becoming addicted

Thanks so much for the swivel links. Is there much difference between two swivels? My goal is to get really good at combinations and tricks so which would be better for that?
      Mine is a standard U-bolt that came with the platform.. I just feel it's not that 'smooth' and catches a bit, so if i get a quality swivel and bag then I'll know for sure if it's me

How much weight do you recommend putting on top of the drum to reduce vibration?

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

You'll find this link will probably tell you all you need to know about swivels.
        I'm just getting back into this as well and I've tried the other style of swivels,chain link and U-bolt. The ball hook is definitely the way to go. Either one of the two mentioned in biff's post are great and you can't go wrong.

fedora
        Last edited by fedora; 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• speedbagbrad
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2013

Cheers buddy. I can't wait til i get my ballhooks then Weeeeee!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbagbrad View Post
            Yeah I realize it's gonna take a whole lot of time. I've been training two hours a night and I believe i'm becoming addicted

Thanks so much for the swivel links. Is there much difference between two swivels? My goal is to get really good at combinations and tricks so which would be better for that?
            Mine is a standard U-bolt that came with the platform.. I just feel it's not that 'smooth' and catches a bit, so if i get a quality swivel and bag then I'll know for sure if it's me

How much weight do you recommend putting on top of the drum to reduce vibration?
            Hey Speedbagbrad and welcome to the forum. I can't add any new info about swivels than has already been posted. I second Bif's statement about control. Forget about "going fast". Most beginners equate hitting fast with hitting hard but that really isn't true. Without solid control of your fist and arm motions to make small movements, than hitting hard will usually find you frustrated and starting over a lot, and you are always struggling to keep up with the bag. We call them "3 and out" or "5 and out" becuase they hit once and the bag goes faster and faster as they keep hitting harder. In 3-5 punches the bag is going way too fast for them to keep up with, so they stop it and start over. It is so much easy to just go slow and easy. Think of learning to drive a car. Would you take a new, unexperienced person out on a winding road, give them a high performance auto and tell to start the car, press down as hard as you can on the accelerator, and just let it rip, go as fast as possible. Hardly. Their skill of fine steering movements and reaction time to control the vehicle take lots of practice at slow speed. Same with the speed bag. But relax, learning the bag is not a race. as a matter of fact, you may spend 5 or 6 workouts and think you are going nowhere, and then on that 7th workout it all falls in place and your skill and understanding of what your doing will skyrocket. I loved those 7th workouts!. It's like that one great golf shot that keeps you coming back to the course, forgetting the other 110+ that sucked.

anyway, concerning the weight over the board, I would suggest the wall you have hung the board on has some determination on how much weight you want to put on it, as well as if you want to just leave it up there all the time. Say you stick 50 pounds over the board, and it works great for the hour you use the bag, then walk off and for the other 23 hours of the day the board and wall have that weight sitting on it. Maybe not a big deal for some locations, but an issue in others. Just a thought.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon
              Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

The more solid and dense your setup---->the better the rebound & more quiet it will be. You can always strap a 20lb bag of sand on top to help....or add a 3/4 piece of MDF board to it to thicken the board. As far as swivels.....i have 4 in stock....i am actually dropping price on them because luckily i shopped around & found some steel for less than what i was paying before. Deville may have some swivels in stock also.....u can check with her on availability/pricing. A good bag is also critical. Some just rebound faster than others depending on brand/size. Hit me up on email if interested in a swiv. Either way is a good choice. Welcome to the addiction.....and the forums!
              evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• sendmorecops
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2012

Hey jumpcannon, I shot an email your way

Comment

• speedbagbrad
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Hey Speedbagbrad and welcome to the forum. I can't add any new info about swivels than has already been posted. I second Bif's statement about control. Forget about "going fast". Most beginners equate hitting fast with hitting hard but that really isn't true. Without solid control of your fist and arm motions to make small movements, than hitting hard will usually find you frustrated and starting over a lot, and you are always struggling to keep up with the bag. We call them "3 and out" or "5 and out" becuase they hit once and the bag goes faster and faster as they keep hitting harder. In 3-5 punches the bag is going way too fast for them to keep up with, so they stop it and start over. It is so much easy to just go slow and easy. Think of learning to drive a car. Would you take a new, unexperienced person out on a winding road, give them a high performance auto and tell to start the car, press down as hard as you can on the accelerator, and just let it rip, go as fast as possible. Hardly. Their skill of fine steering movements and reaction time to control the vehicle take lots of practice at slow speed. Same with the speed bag. But relax, learning the bag is not a race. as a matter of fact, you may spend 5 or 6 workouts and think you are going nowhere, and then on that 7th workout it all falls in place and your skill and understanding of what your doing will skyrocket. I loved those 7th workouts!. It's like that one great golf shot that keeps you coming back to the course, forgetting the other 110+ that sucked.

anyway, concerning the weight over the board, I would suggest the wall you have hung the board on has some deterination on how much weight you want to put on it, as well as if you want to just leave it up there all the time. Say you stick 50 pounds over the board, and it works great for the hour you use the bag, then walk off and for the other 23 hours of the day the board and wall have that weight sitting on it. Maybe not a big deal for some locations, but an issue in others. Just a thought.
                  thanks heaps for the advices... yeah, I was doing a few 3-5 and outs, lol.
                  But I have slowed the pace right down and i'm extremely pleased with my progression and how fast you pick it up. It's a very satisfying hobby.
                  Its a solid brick wall so i guess it would be able to support some weight. but will definitely take it off after use now that you mention that.

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                  The more solid and dense your setup---->the better the rebound & more quiet it will be. You can always strap a 20lb bag of sand on top to help....or add a 3/4 piece of MDF board to it to thicken the board. As far as swivels.....i have 4 in stock....i am actually dropping price on them because luckily i shopped around & found some steel for less than what i was paying before. Deville may have some swivels in stock also.....u can check with her on availability/pricing. A good bag is also critical. Some just rebound faster than others depending on brand/size. Hit me up on email if interested in a swiv. Either way is a good choice. Welcome to the addiction.....and the forums!
                  Thanks buddy, i actually just ordered a Deville before i read this, but I will probably hit you up soon and order a powermill as well... I'm pretty keen to experiment with both.
                  and thanks, good to be on the forums

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...