X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

Chain link swivel

I am using an Xmark pro with a chain link swivel.

I can get front to back and fist rolls from to back. Double punches but I an having a hard time with changing direction. It seems like the bag is speeding up when pivoting on the short link direction.

Does that make sense?

Thanks I have always just boxed the speed bag this is a lot more fun and on my heart rate workouts it takes it up to the 158 range easily. Especially to old rock!
    sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

• Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Roller chain link swivels work well front to back or side to side, however transitioning from one to the other just doesn't happen unless you come to a complete stop. Same is true for the U bar "pro" swivels. The design of them inhibits multi directional contact with the bag. While it's not impossible to do (one of our members is quite proficient with the "U" bar) most find that the "ball hook" swivel is the best swivel for hitting "Bible style".

Comment

• bbally
      • Jan 2013

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate the information
      sgt
      USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bbally View Post
        I am using an Xmark pro with a chain link swivel.

I can get front to back and fist rolls from to back. Double punches but I an having a hard time with changing direction. It seems like the bag is speeding up when pivoting on the short link direction.

Does that make sense?
        Thanks I have always just boxed the speed bag this is a lot more fun and on my heart rate workouts it takes it up to the 158 range easily. Especially to old rock!
        Yes, it makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Roller chain link swivels work well front to back or side to side, however transitioning from one to the other just doesn't happen unless you come to a complete stop. Same is true for the U bar "pro" swivels. The design of them inhibits multi directional contact with the bag. While it's not impossible to do (one of our members is quite proficient with the "U" bar) most find that the "ball hook" swivel is the best swivel for hitting "Bible style".

brilliantly answered and totally correct.

for "Bible Style punching" from all around the bag with numerous fist angle and rebound angle changes, the Ballhook is the most efficient swivel because (IMO) there is nothing in its design or action that will interfere with the rebound of the bag. Sometimes, infrequently but sometimes, the linkage connections of a chainlink or the angle alignment of the U-bolt when the fist hits the bag, will slightly influence the rebound angle of the bag. this change in bag may be just enough to put the bag in the wrong location for the next strike and you may miss hit slightly. Most of us who have decent control of our punching and bag control, so we don't "miss hit" much, will find this does not happen on a ballhook.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bbally
          • Jan 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write out the answer for me. The people on this forum are awfully nice to newbies!

It is kind of unusual that the person who wrote the book answers your questions. Nice really nice.
          sgt
          USMC 79-85

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for taking the time to write out the answer for me. The people on this forum are awfully nice to newbies!
            And we never forget that one day, even long ago, we to were newbies. Being nice about to each other is standard operating procedure on this forum.

..It is kind of unusual that the person who wrote the book answers your questions. Nice really nice.
            Again, pretty standard Operating Procedure on this forum. If we're not bagging somewhere, than we're talking about bagging. Mostly here.

But there are many awesome speed baggers that belong to this forum. The skill level of this group has gone supersonic since it started seven years ago this month.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...