X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AtTheCross
    • Dec 2012

Bag inflation

I just received my pressure gauge and with the Balazs Lazer bag, there is a specific way to inflate and pressure for the bag.

It's too late for my other bags for the 'specific' way to inflate, but I can do something about bag pressure.

I did a quick forum search and can't find anything about my bags.

for those of you that have a:

5x8 Pro Mex what is your bag pressure you're using

7x10 Everlast 4214 what is your bag pressure you're using

thanks
    1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
    Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
    DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
    Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
    Retired Bags:
    Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
    I just received my pressure gauge and with the Balazs Lazer bag, there is a specific way to inflate and pressure for the bag.

It's too late for my other bags for the 'specific' way to inflate, but I can do something about bag pressure.

I did a quick forum search and can't find anything about my bags.

5x8 Pro Mex what is your bag pressure you're using

7x10 Everlast 4214 what is your bag pressure you're using

thanks
    I'm gonna say that 99.9% of speed bags are inflated without a pressure gauge involved. Most of us inflate the bag until the outer leather is smooth and tight. Then press in with the thumbs and you should be able to feel just a bit of give in the bag. As you gain a bit of experience you will be able to punch a bag and tell by the feel and sound if it has enough air or is a bit flat and needs more air. A flat bag will find your hand sinking into it as you punch, and may noticeably widen as it hits the board, making a dead sound. You may also note just a bit of folding in the outer leather.

On a properly inflated bag you will see and feel just a bit of give when your hand hits it when punching, and you may see it give a bit as it hits the board, and it will have a good solid rebound off the board.

If a bag is overinflated it will feel very hard to the fist and you will not see it "give" any when your fists makes contact or it hits the board. Severly overinflated bags may have the panel seams bulging or the welt separating a bit.

The weakest link in the bag as far as air is concerned is the air valve. Severe overinflation (four or five pumps above normal) can predispose your bag for an air valve blow out, especially if your pounding it at near or full power.

When I pumped my Balazs Lazer up to their recommended amount it felt just a tad flat to me, but I did not overinflate it.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• AtTheCross
      • Dec 2012

ok, that really helps, I was wondering how come I wasn't getting the sound and speed I thought I should be. I'm under inflating my bags (not the Balazs), because it was hurting my hands when I had more air in the bags.

I just need to toughen up my hands, it's only been just over a month of bagging since my 10yr layoff
      Last edited by AtTheCross; 01-09-2013, 08:27 AM.
      1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
      Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
      Retired Bags:

Comment

• AugustChief
        • Dec 2012

My BALAZS 8 x 11 - Large - “Rocket, just arrived without a pump as anticipated. Are there any particular recommendations for a good quality speed bag pump?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by AugustChief View Post
          My BALAZS 8 x 11 - Large - “Rocket, just arrived without a pump as anticipated. Are there any particular recommendations for a good quality speed bag pump?

Thanks in advance
          I would suggest this one. if you want to measure the pressure.

I also have This Title Boxing Double Action pump and this Title Pocket pump, and both work just fine.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• AugustChief
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I would suggest this one. if you want to measure the pressure.

I also have This Title Boxing Double Action pump and this Title Pocket pump, and both work just fine.
            Thank You

Comment

• AugustChief
              • Dec 2012

Check this out on AMZN: Pocket Pump with Pressure Gauge http://amzn.com/B00600UMEI

I want to eliminate the need for two separate devices and potential to damage the bag.

Comment

• AtTheCross
                • Dec 2012

nice find! LOL, just noticed you're kinda 'local' I'm in Riverside County

XMarkfitness platform
                Retired Bags:

Comment

• WhtKnight
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2013

Check this out on AMZN: Pocket Pump with Pressure Gauge http://amzn.com/B00600UMEI

I want to eliminate the need for two separate devices and potential to damage the bag.
                  I just ordered one of the for myself, so I'll put up a message when I get it as to how good it is.

Nice find mate...

Steve

Comment

• AugustChief
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
                    nice find! LOL, just noticed you're kinda 'local' I'm in Riverside County
                    I'm originally from East LA, aforementioned pump is ordered.

r/
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                      • Apr 2011

I got the same one. First one that arrived, the pressure gauge didn't work. They sent a replacement, and that one is working just fine. Yeah, I like the 2 in 1 feature, of being able to add air, and seeing the pressure as it increases at the same time.
                      -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
                        I got the same one. First one that arrived, the pressure gauge didn't work. They sent a replacement, and that one is working just fine. Yeah, I like the 2 in 1 feature, of being able to add air, and seeing the pressure as it increases at the same time.
                        Got to love that, sending another one. Balazs has great customer service and the Lazer bag design and fabrication was in response to offering a trial sample to the speed bag gathering in 2010. A bunch of baggers tried it and they took our suggestions to heart, changed a few things and now have come out with a great bag.

I don't know how other companies plan, design and fabricate their bags, but the Lazer Bag is the first line in my experience that has hands on input from real live speed bag users, from beginner to expert level, and the company listened to our wishes.

and that's the truth.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                          • Apr 2011

Got to love that, sending another one. Balazs has great customer service and the Lazer bag design and fabrication was in response to offering a trial sample to the speed bag gathering in 2010. A bunch of baggers tried it and they took our suggestions to heart, changed a few things and now have come out with a great bag.

I don't know how other companies plan, design and fabricate their bags, but the Lazer Bag is the first line in my experience that has hands on input from real live speed bag users, from beginner to expert level, and the company listened to our wishes.

and that's the truth.

Just to clarify, the 2 in 1 pump I was talking about,pictured below, was from Amazon. It a hand pump and also an airgauge, in all in one. Balaz sells the airguage and pocket pump as seperate components

I agree about the lazer bag. This is best made bag I've seen. It also appears that this bag will last a very, very long time.

Also I noticed very specific instructions provided when inflating the Balaz Lazer bag. To inflat to 2 psi, wait 15 min and then roll around a hard surface, then inflat to 6psi, then DEflate to 5 psi. My question is: Do you think this is a good guidline to follow for all speedbags. (well maybe not to 6psi) but as a general guidline? Or are these instructions specifically because the bag has no bladder?
                          Attached Files
                          -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
                            Just to clarify, the 2 in 1 pump I was talking about,pictured below, was from Amazon. It a hand pump and also an airgauge, in all in one. Balaz sells the airguage and pocket pump as seperate components

I agree about the lazer bag. This is best made bag I've seen. It also appears that this bag will last a very, very long time.

Also I noticed very specific instructions provided when inflating the Balaz Lazer bag. To inflat to 2 psi, wait 15 min and then roll around a hard surface, then inflat to 6psi, then DEflate to 5 psi. My question is: Do you think this is a good guidline to follow for all speedbags. (well maybe not to 6psi) but as a general guidline? Or are these instructions specifically because the bag has no bladder?
                            I can't say about all the psi changes and the need for other bags. I certainly never did that. I do have a practice with new bags of inflating them first until all the creases are just out of the outer leather, but the bag is still mushy. I look at it all around and press around on it to see or feel if there are any lumps, bulges or if it's lopsided. Check the seams or welting to make sure they are even and uniformly stretched.

At this point I usually hang it on a swivel, spin it a few times (seems to give me a better sense of the shape and eveness of the fill). Then I hit a few times easy to see how it responds. (yea, it's kinda dead and mushy, but the first few hits kinda of stetch and test the leather). then I listen to the air valve to see/hear if its leaking. Then I put the needle back in and pump a bit more air into it until it feels just about right, plus one more. Then needle is out and hit if for awhile and see how it does. Check air valve. At that point, if it's good to go, It's ready. But if there are bulges, wierd seams, or leaking I make a decision of what to do. I do it this way to minimize the process of sticking the air needle into the valve. The valve is the weakest link in the whole thing and the more you stick a needle into it the better your chances it will begin to leak or "squirt" out air on hard contact. I do not deflate my bags either. Again- this avoids pushing in and pulling out the needle.

the old everlast pro line (4200, 4210, etc) had a habit of being lopsided at first but would eventually "punch in" and reshape itself.

Anyway as for the Balazs Lazer, I would follow their directions, first because I don't really know whats on the inside or how they made it, - and they spent a long time on development, so..... there must be a reason for the very definitive "birthing of the bag".

Second, if you don't follow the directions it might void the warranty. I did it their way and it took about 30 minutes to complete.

Truth is, Until I got the Balazs Lazer Bags, I have NOT measured the air pressure inside a speed bag since the mid 1970's. My hands on the bag and fists punching them tell me immediately it if needs more or less air.

Keep punching different bags and with experience it will be the same for you.

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                              • Apr 2011

Anyway as for the Balazs Lazer, I would follow their directions, first because I don't really know whats on the inside or how they made it, - and they spent a long time on development, so..... there must be a reason for the very definitive "birthing of the bag".

Second, if you don't follow the directions it might void the warranty. I did it their way and it took about 30 minutes to complete.
                              Yeah, I followed those air instructions for the Balaz Lazer, to the "T".

I have a feeling, over time, I'm gonna go through alot of speedbags, but my Balaz Lazer, will still gonna be going strong, long after!
                              Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM.
                              -Anthony

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...