X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Water In Clear Glass, On Top Of Speedbag Platform, Vibration Test

I was speaking to another forum member the other day and the thought of placing a cup of water on the rim of the platform, and then hitting the speedbag, would show the actual vibration, maybe better then just a video without it. So maybe we can start a thread here with people posting videos of their platforms doing the Water Test. You can display your platform and also the platform with different items on top you use to stop the vibration, whether it be a sandbag(how many pounds), weights, bag of rice , or whatever you use. I think maybe the sound of the vibration gets muted out because of the swivel so you can't hear or even really see it that well. Just an idea. I dont have another platform set-up yet or I'd be the first to post a video. I'd truly like to see the platforms where people don't actually need to put anything on top that have minimal or no vibration.. Not sure if this is a good idea or will even work, but maybe it will, and be an interest to some in picking out a platform.

Who's up first???

-Anthony
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM.
    -Anthony
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    LoL this is funny to me because i have my setup in the garage and i have water with me when i bag but it's not on my platform it's on my workbench and when i bag i can look over at the water and see it vibrate ;-) i have about 35lbs of sand on my setup, dee and raul suggest using joint compond. i haven't tried it yet but i think it will work better than sand cause it will be more like dead weight...ralph
    Yeah I this may be a good idea, we'll see how it goes. People may get wet!!! Also now you say they suggest using joint compound? Is that what they use too? Because I was under the impression from your post in the other thread is that they had a steady board due to a strong wall and supports attached to it? So you were referring to compound? What I was trying to discover was a way to elimainate the noise/ vibration without anything on top if possible. Which is where the much thicker board discussions were trickling on. I may also end up with sand and or compound, but trying to see other ideas and options too.

-Anthony
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM.
    -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      i have about 35lbs of sand on my setup, dee and raul suggest using joint compond. i haven't tried it yet but i think it will work better than sand cause it will be more like dead weight...ralph
      Now this is using the same pound for pound weight of compound instead of sand? Now is this wet compound in the bucket, or the dry kind in bag? I think the way its bagged, sand or whatever has an effect too. I remember when I first got the sand bags and filled them to the top, I then tied the bags off so tight, and taped them up so tight, that when I put them on top of the platform, they were hard like bricks, and didnt seem to work so well. I then loosened them up a bit and took alot of sand out and didnt tie off the bags so tightly. This way it seemed to me to absorb the impact much better.

-Anthony
      Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM.
      -Anthony

Comment

• kenk
        • Dec 2012

I tried putting a small glass of water on my CA-53 platform... and the water and glass vibrated all over the place...like crazy...even though the platform has only a 1/16" of an inch vertical motion and is otherwise very stable...Might need a larger glass for this to work...this is a good idea...once the bugs are worked out
        I'm still a believer that you can design an extremely low vibration platform without having to mount it rigidly to a wall. I believe the key is to design the platform/drum to send the bag impact energy back to the bag, not into the platform. I believe the key factors are weight distribution (more weight to the outer edge of the drum) and overall weight of the drum. It you can get the bag to hit the center of percussion, AKA sweet-spot, most of the energy will go back to the bag and not into the drum. The only way the drum will vibrate is when you impart energy to it. This is energy that could have been used to provide a better rebound of the bag...probably over-thinking this....but my platform is in my house in a finished basement, and low noise and low vibration are a must...or I won't be doing any speedbaggin!

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

MsDeville has a concrete drum her partner made. Seems pretty quiet. Also, my city once offered me a manhole cover -- a large enough one of those might have some possibilities.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            MsDeville has a concrete drum her partner made. Seems pretty quiet. Also, my city once offered me a manhole cover -- a large enough one of those might have some possibilities.
            I just went and check a couple of video of Ms. Deville, and yes, thats seems to be a very quite board. But this didnt look like cement? It was real thin and shiny and had a reflection on the surface, looked like metal or a hard plastic maybe? . I did see two sacks on top of the platform that may be cement/compound that Ralph had mentioned. I will send her a PM to find out specifics.

Yikes a man hole cover!!!!! WOW that may not be good, if it worked out well. There may wind up being missing manhole covers all over the US. I dont think you can buy them on EBAY

-Anthony
            -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
              • Apr 2011

Hmmm, no Water Vibration Test videos yet? Maybe we should make this into a contest with prizes!

-Anthony
              -Anthony

Comment

• doss darwin
                • Dec 2012

I used a 50lb. sack of thin set till i needed it the other day--replaced w/sand but can not tell any difference--however my set up is quick temporary and anything to help steady is good--concrete sounds interesting--have seen countertops poured 2"-3"thick--would like to see what Raul built--might need an adjustable floor of some type--dd
                the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

I had to try it on mine and got just a few water ripples. Glass stayed put and no splash over the top. Great way to test platform movement.

fedora

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                    I had to try it on mine and got just a few water ripples. Glass stayed put and no splash over the top. Great way to test platform movement.

fedora
                    Fedora, can you please post a short video so we could all see. This way others can see the type of platform you are using, how it is braced, and what if anything you use to prevent vibration.

-Anthony
                    -Anthony

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Antny72 View Post
                      Hmmm, no Water Vibration Test videos yet? Maybe we should make this into a contest with prizes!
                      All in due time, my fellow addict. After all, some of us might be recovering from our New Year's celebration.

HAPPY 2013 EVERYONE!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Happy New Year MsD, and to all of bagaholics!

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Antny72 View Post
                          Fedora, can you please post a short video so we could all see. This way others can see the type of platform you are using, how it is braced, and what if anything you use to prevent vibration.
                          I've never done video's on line before. Not sure I have the equipment to do it.

fedora

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Working on the Water Vibration Test

Yesterday, I had a lot going on. We attended the local New Year's Day Polar Bear Plunge in Olalla, Washington — and yes, of course I posted a YouTube video of the event. Creating videos is my other addiction. Here it is, if you're interested in seeing people VIBRATING with shivers of cold after jumping into the frigid waters of Puget Sound.

And, yes, of course I had an ulterior motive for making the video — showing off Raul's latest passion—building wood-fired ovens. This is what he does to keep busy in his retirement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD156ev2Ok.

Once that was out of the way, I got busy with making my personal video of the Water Vibration Test on our speed bag platform that is mounted on two 4"x6" posts inside the garage. It is not attached to any walls of the structure, so it does not cause any excessive noise or vibration. I'll write more about that later.

So, I went out and shot a short clip with a glass of water on the drum. Then, the more I thought about it, the more video I shot. I am compiling and editing it now. I hope to have it completed later today. I shot video using two different sizes of speed bags, as well as clips showing vibration with and without weight on the top.

I began writing a lot more here, but it got soooo long and detailed, that I have decided to create a separate thread regarding my personal opinion of what it takes to have a solid platform with little or no vibration.

More to come.

… Geez, I'm such a speed bag geek.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

^^^ Yes... yes you are!
                              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...