• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joltingjoe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2012

Platform advice

Greetings everyone,

First time poster on the forum. Now that I own my first home, I'm building a nice gym setup in my basement. Got an excellent 120 lb tear drop bag from KO FIGHT GEAR ( great guys to deal with and make amazing bags ), double end bag, weight equipment, etc...

All I need now is to construct and hang a speedbag platform. I am looking for some advice on how to big to make it. I'm thinking of going 3 inch thick hardwood and mounting it into my wall, but I'm unsure what diameter to make it. I want to be able to hit a variety of different size bags on it. Would love to hear recommendations.

Thanks,
    Put
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by joltingjoe View Post
    Greetings everyone,

First time poster on the forum. Now that I own my first home, I'm building a nice gym setup in my basement. Got an excellent 120 lb tear drop bag from KO FIGHT GEAR ( great guys to deal with and make amazing bags ), double end bag, weight equipment, etc...

All I need now is to construct and hang a speedbag platform. I am looking for some advice on how to big to make it. I'm thinking of going 3 inch thick hardwood and mounting it into my wall, but I'm unsure what diameter to make it. I want to be able to hit a variety of different size bags on it. Would love to hear recommendations.

Thanks,
    Put
    Hello Joltingjoe and welcome to the forum.

Three inches of hardwood on the wall will work fine. The basic board sizes are diameters of 24, 30 and 36. You gotta take into account the weight and hanging requirement for the different sizes. I would say the 30 inch will handle just about every bag you can find today. IF you are going to go with the biggest bags, 10x12 or larger, the bottoms of them will go past the edge of a 24 inch board. remember, with the swivel in the middle there will only be 12 inches in any direction, and the longer bags will go past the edge, and the board will also tend to shake or vibrate more which deadens the rebound.
    The 36 inch boards of yester year are beautiful but heavy, require a lot of wall space to hang and are perhaps overkill in a home environment. some have them for historic purposes or nastalgia, or they got them at a good price and have a place to hang them - and they are normally very sturdy with all the extra wood and hanging weight to resist the bag.

Hope it helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• joltingjoe
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2012

thanks

Thank you for the advice. I'll go with 30 inches then. Until now I've always lived in apartments or rental houses and had to use a title heavy bag/speed bad stand. I know I don't have to tell anyone just how awful those things are lol. Now that I have my own place, I'm upgrading all my training gear to the best quality possible. ( on a teachers budget lol )

I'll post pictures of the setup once I am finished

-Joe

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by joltingjoe View Post
        Thank you for the advice. I'll go with 30 inches then. Until now I've always lived in apartments or rental houses and had to use a title heavy bag/speed bad stand. I know I don't have to tell anyone just how awful those things are lol. Now that I have my own place, I'm upgrading all my training gear to the best quality possible. ( on a teachers budget lol )

I'll post pictures of the setup once I am finished

-Joe
        Hey mate we'll look foreward to it.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...