Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

i can certainly control a ballhook easier than my super swivel. but i just prefer my super swivel over the ballhook. to each, their own.

Comment

• Chris
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2007

I have an everlast delux pro swivel that is similar to #3 and I like it. I hit an 8"x5" everlast bag. Today I bought the plastic ballhook. I am still pretty new so I am just learning elbows and reverse puching combos. When I hung it up today I thought I got ten times better instantly on my new combos I am learning. I still like the pro swivel better but it is a lot easier to hit the ballhook slower and learn the combo. I just like to be able to hit the pro swivel faster.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

same with me

Comment

• riqal
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2006

You should try the everlast chain link swivel. I have this swivel and I also have a chain link swivel that I bought from ringside. I did not like the ringside swivel. It was longer, thus slower. The everlast chain link swivel works very well in all directions/planes and it is fast.

Comment

• Johnny Pal
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2007

Swivels

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            #3 and #6 are the only ones I would recommend.

My favorite is the old reliable #6, but alas is discontinued.

I too tried to purchase 5 of them, and received the plastic ones instead, which I have not used yet.

#3 is fast and quiet, but needs to have the bag securely taped to the middle of the bar so it won't slide or float up off the bar, which cause a drastic speed drop (no friction. the bag is "floating", not rebounding). Without taping the bag, you may find yourself "missing" and starting over a lot more than normal.
            I am probably one of the wildest punchers around. An old gym rat from yesteryear but with all skills intact. I've pissed off Tommy Hearns who looked like s--t on the speedbag in a filmed pre-fight hoopla at Marty Denkin's old gym in LA - actually Marty asked me to fire it up. Blew away 5 former great Mexican champions working the bags at a celebration at the old Main street gym and impressed the trunks off Mohammed Ali at the old Main Street gym several years back. He screamed at the top of his lungs he loved it so much. Was also sports star of the week on Channel 13 in LA (a few decades ago) and on Television in Hawaii about 15 years ago. The only swivel that stood up under the multi-angled and speedburst attacks was the old Everlast S-Hook. It has been my mainstay for over 40 years. The chain link and the Tijuana swivel styles like #2 and 3 kinda got in the ballpark but could not handle multi angled crazy stuff. But even the S Hook has its limits and is noisy since the post hits the edge of the swivel cup before it hits the board. I held out that the swivel from Australia (Jim somebody) would be a winner but its only good for straight on punching as it goes into a tailspin when you wanna crank it up from different angles. Still waiting for the noiseless versatile swivel. Just purchased No. 3 above because I saw a bagger on YouTube using one and it seemed fairly flexible. Will report back later. My apologies for the long bragging thing and don't mean to blow my horn, but just wanted to set the background for what is probably da best swivel from a guy who has been punching since the 1950's.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnny Pal View Post
              I held out that the swivel from Australia (Jim somebody) would be a winner but its only good for straight on punching as it goes into a tailspin when you wanna crank it up from different angles.
              Hi Johnny,
              would that be this model?

Jim Bradley is Australian Made Boxing Bags, Boxing Rings, Speedballs, Floor to Ceiling Balls and anything Boxing Equipment. We are also able to custom build boxing equipment to suit your needs.

But even the S Hook has its limits and is noisy since the post hits the edge of the swivel cup before it hits the board.
              Have you tried the #5 (plastic version of the everlast S hook)? I haven't but I suppose it would minimize that clanking sound.
              Last edited by Tim; 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                ...Have you tried the #5 (plastic version of the everlast S hook)? I haven't but I suppose it would minimize that clanking sound.
                Yes, I have found the Plastic ball and housing to be much quieter than it's metal brothers.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2007

I have used the 2,5 and then the 6. I like the 6 the best. The 5 is great also it just lacks the excellent sound of the six. As my boy said when we got the # 6 type....It sounds "cool". As for the #5 unscrewing, superglue the threads then pool a bit of super glue on top of the ball and dust it with baking soda. The chemical reaction will bond it securely. Do not use GEL type glue just regular. Be very careful not to get any glue and baking soda combo on your skin as the together they can burn your skin....hence the great bond.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by juanantoniomartin View Post
                    I have used the 2,5 and then the 6. I like the 6 the best. The 5 is great also it just lacks the excellent sound of the six. As my boy said when we got the # 6 type....It sounds "cool". As for the #5 unscrewing, superglue the threads then pool a bit of super glue on top of the ball and dust it with baking soda. The chemical reaction will bond it securely. Do not use GEL type glue just regular. Be very careful not to get any glue and baking soda combo on your skin as the together they can burn your skin....hence the great bond.
                    Baking Soda to help hold a swivel together?

Geez, Looks like MacGyver has finally discovered the speed bag. Gotta love that!
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2007

Swivels

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Hi Johnny,
                      would that be this model?

Jim Bradley is Australian Made Boxing Bags, Boxing Rings, Speedballs, Floor to Ceiling Balls and anything Boxing Equipment. We are also able to custom build boxing equipment to suit your needs.

Have you tried the #5 (plastic version of the everlast S hook)? I haven't but I suppose it would minimize that clanking sound.

Thanks Tim - that would be it. Jim Bradley. Unfortunately I've used the new plastic one. Was so excited when I found it but equally disappointed after use. Too long and comes apart. With some toying, it has possibilities though. Thanks for da comments brah!.

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2007

I know it sounds crazy but for repairing plastic parts the baking soda superglue works. It can be built up in layers sanded and even painted. I'm no chemical guinness but I sure works good.

Comment

• Johnny Pal
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2007

Swivel No. 3

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          #3 and #6 are the only ones I would recommend.

My favorite is the old reliable #6, but alas is discontinued.

I too tried to purchase 5 of them, and received the plastic ones instead, which I have not used yet.

#3 is fast and quiet, but needs to have the bag securely taped to the middle of the bar so it won't slide or float up off the bar, which cause a drastic speed drop (no friction. the bag is "floating", not rebounding). Without taping the bag, you may find yourself "missing" and starting over a lot more than normal.
                          Yo, yo - just got #3 in da mail and hung it up. Dat sucka jams guud. Quiet and stable. Didn't experience the jumping around thing. Admittedly though, I have not yet had the time to give it the full Monty. But dang, I was impressed with the way it held up punching an old beat up Reyes bag. Get back later after can give it the acid test. Did find, however, had a problem executing my patented "gravity roll", an original routine, with some work, it eventually worked fair. More info later.
                          Johnny Pal

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

I got the #3(Deluxe Pro Swivel) from Title Boxing. Although i was a little disappointed when I looked at the quality of the D shackle. Look at the pics.
                            The fitting of the pin was crap, it's noisy and already after one month the chrome on the pin has worn. Hmm! They say it's triple chromed. So today i made a new one and now it's silent, just what i wanted. Now i love it!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• riqal
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2006

it seems like the #3 would have the same problems as the chainlink. Try the everlast chainlink. I tried it and it is better than the ringside chainlink swivel.

Comment

• andy302
                                • Nov 2008

hi ive got 4 im in the uk no wonder nobody voted for it i didnt and ive got one lol the only way to get a good swivel is to order it from the usa i just orded the super swivel 3 from title and im thinking of getting the everlast plastic ball hook theres no suppliers in the uk that stockes good swivels think ill have to emergrate to usa

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...