• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ultram4
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2012

Silent speed bag DIY help needed.

Hello every one!

This is my first post here so if I am posting this in the wrong section please direct me to the right place! =)
    (...and I am from Sweden so plz don't shoot me if my English skills aren't up to par with you guys!)

So to my Q's:

I have to boys (12 and 13 years old) who both been boxing for about 2 years, me myself have never been boxing, but did some other martial arts stuff when I was young.

The thing I've noticed in their gym is the lack of a speed bag, and their trainer thinks there is no benefit from it, which I myself think is kinda strange since I can see a huge benefit for getting fast hands and timing, also eye to hand reaction boost...and after watching loads of videos on this forum I tend to think it got a very nice meditation feel to, which got me even more set on building my/our own speed bag rig at home.

But Ive got one big problem - I live in a flat, on the third floor and I don't want to disturb the neighbors who are all elderly men and women.

So how do I build a silent speed bag rig?

1. My thoughts after looking around is that the platform needs to be quite thick to reduce vibrations and the louder "drum" effect, like this one:

But that is a monster! I'm not sure my walls will support that! ...and I need to be able to take it down to make place for the punching bag.
    Is there a midway or another solution?

2. The main issue is to prevent vibrations from transferring from the board to the wall. (A free stand wont do since there simply aren't room for it) would rubber pads between the board and the rig itself dampen the bounce of the ball to much or make it tilt while using it? any suggestions on that?

3. I need a really quiet swivel, most videos I've seen got a lot of swivel noises and I would like to get that down to a minimum since every undesired sound will travel and annoy me and probably my neighbors. You guys have the experience of many different types of swivels so I will trust you on which one to buy.

Thoughts: I might be wrong since I've never used a speed bag myself, but my sens tells me that the more mass there is in the board the less will the rig vibrate since the weight of it will act against the energy of the bounce. Isolation or vibrating dampening material can't be used in the board since it would hinder the bag from bouncing(right)...but can you isolate/dampen the rig without crippling the bag bounce?

All suggestions, information and thoughts are more then welcome!
  • florian 380
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ultram4 View Post
    Hello every one!

This is my first post here so if I am posting this in the wrong section please direct me to the right place! =)
    (...and I am from Sweden so plz don't shoot me if my English skills aren't up to par with you guys!)

So to my Q's:

I have to boys (12 and 13 years old) who both been boxing for about 2 years, me myself have never been boxing, but did some other martial arts stuff when I was young.

The thing I've noticed in their gym is the lack of a speed bag, and their trainer thinks there is no benefit from it, which I myself think is kinda strange since I can see a huge benefit for getting fast hands and timing, also eye to hand reaction boost...and after watching loads of videos on this forum I tend to think it got a very nice meditation feel to, which got me even more set on building my/our own speed bag rig at home.

But Ive got one big problem - I live in a flat, on the third floor and I don't want to disturb the neighbors who are all elderly men and women.

So how do I build a silent speed bag rig?

1. My thoughts after looking around is that the platform needs to be quite thick to reduce vibrations and the louder "drum" effect, like this one:

But that is a monster! I'm not sure my walls will support that! ...and I need to be able to take it down to make place for the punching bag.
    Is there a midway or another solution?

2. The main issue is to prevent vibrations from transferring from the board to the wall. (A free stand wont do since there simply aren't room for it) would rubber pads between the board and the rig itself dampen the bounce of the ball to much or make it tilt while using it? any suggestions on that?

3. I need a really quiet swivel, most videos I've seen got a lot of swivel noises and I would like to get that down to a minimum since every undesired sound will travel and annoy me and probably my neighbors. You guys have the experience of many different types of swivels so I will trust you on which one to buy.

Thoughts: I might be wrong since I've never used a speed bag myself, but my sens tells me that the more mass there is in the board the less will the rig vibrate since the weight of it will act against the energy of the bounce. Isolation or vibrating dampening material can't be used in the board since it would hinder the bag from bouncing(right)...but can you isolate/dampen the rig without crippling the bag bounce?

All suggestions, information and thoughts are more then welcome!
    Maybe this Thread helps a little bit ??

Comment

• florian 380
      • Nov 2012

The free standing speed bag platform shown above consists of a frame built from common doug-fir 2" x 6" studs (8'), plywood, bolts, wood glue and deck screws...

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

WOW... I wish I had that room, let alone the whole rig!
        Here are the complete plans:
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

I like the looks of it. Seems to have a bit of vibration, though. I think you should be able to put a stack of coins on top of a platform and bag without them falling all over.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

It's for show, primarily. Same reason some of these guys like to pop the bladder. No real reason for it other than to get attention.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...