• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sambruin7
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2012

which pro boxer?

I've been checking out some of the pro boxers' speed bag skills and noticed most if not all of them just do the basics over and over again. I think Roy Jones Jr. did a little bit of back hand moves but that's about it. I know that most boxers don't care about all the trick moves and even my coach has been lazy about fixing the one speed bag platform at my gym because he doesn't feel it's important. He said it's mostly for show anyways and told me to hit the double end bag more instead. I missed hitting the speed bag even though I sucked at it and wanted to get good at it. That's why I'm going to buy my own to put up in my garage. Are there any pro boxers who hit 'bible' style?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

That's an opinion that some of us have heard from trainers that don't comprehend what it's actually for. An old school work out is far more than how fast you can hit the bag, and whether or not you could knock it off the swivel or pop the bladder. It has to do with skill, discipline and control.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      That's an opinion that some of us have heard from trainers that don't comprehend what it's actually for. An old school work out is far more than how fast you can hit the bag, and whether or not you could knock it off the swivel or pop the bladder.
      It has to do with skill, discipline and control.
      ..and this is why I LOVE THIS GUY!

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      ...yap roy jones jr. was the only one i've seen doing some linking, but doing the tricks is not practical for a boxers point of view, that being said i think that most boxers doing the spining hammer fist over and over again is not practical to me and the speed bag should be viewed as your opponents head if your a boxer, so combos should be thrown like upper cuts, hooks, overhand, rearhand and so on and so forth. your not going to hit your boxing opponents head with hammer fist...ralph
      ..or any of the Four possible Triple Elbow Strikes.

I've often heard how "Boxing" has rightous claims on how to use a speed bag "the proper way..", how doing it any other way (changing sides constantly, using elbows, etc) is pointless and silly - because you can't do that "in the ring". Boxing likes to impose speed bag limits on boxers, but they do not apply to the rest of us. SO, OK if you are a really serious competitive boxer, with legitimate fights IN THE RING, then you should perhaps train with only what is legally allowed in the ring (Jab, Straight Right, Hook, uppercut), so as not to have a brain lapse and try to use double fist linking in the 6th round.

and this will cover about .001% of the people using the speed bag on a regular basis.

On the other hand, IF you are NOT a legitimate competitive boxer, have no desire to be one, (but might want to be a martial artist and learn elbow striking...) then you are free to use the speed bag however you want, no limits. There is nothing wrong with the limited boxing workout, but as for me and my house, we prefer "Bible style baggin" over "Boring Baggin".

..to be on point with the post, there are numerous boxers who have been very highly skilled baggers, Mike Tyson being one of recent memory. I loved watching him work it, and Sugar Ray Leonard was no slouch either.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 06-23-2012, 12:54 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        but if thats the way u want to hit the bag then that's ok. no one should lay claim that their style of hitting the bag is the right one, everyone should bring their own style to the table and in the end just enjoy speed bagging and keep an open mind, continue to learn new things and make them your own...ralph
        Very True. The use of the bag should be totatlly defined by the user. However he or she wants to hit it is fine.

I've had more than one boxing coach tell me the speed bag's position should be up much higher than I advocate (belly of the bag at your mouth or nose). Many boxers put the bag belly up at their forehead or higher, under the belief that it is better that way to keep your hands up. Maybe that is true, forcing the boxer to keep his hands up higher to hit the speed bag, but it also seems to teach a very poor punching movement and form. But if it works for them, fine.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Allentown
          • Oct 2010

The speed bag was invented for boxers to condition to keep their arms and shoulders up for the whole 3 minutes of a round.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...