• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lizzy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2012

I think I need a different bag....

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forum. I just started "trying" to hit the speedbag initialy thinking to help tone my arms but have been loving hitting on this thing.
    I have been using my husbands old Everlast #4202.
    My hands can get tired just from work, but I'm thinking this ball just might be too heavy for my hands.
    It seemed lighter at first then the old bladder gave way and I purchaced a rubber one. Is it just my imagination or could that have made a big difference ?
    It takes more effort to get the bag to respond.My husband thinks I'll get used to it but I cant get the rythem like before it just gets crazy on me and my hands are killing me.It takes more force for me to get er' going.

So, with that info can any of you recommend a bag that might be better for me? Would the red bladder work better than the rubber or a smaller bag be best.
    I want to be able to use it and not have my hands kiiling me or "more" injured than they already are from daily work.

The platform is rock solid and we have a swivel attatchment.
    I found this old post and found it ihelpful but still need a nudge in the right direction

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Elizabeth
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello Elizabeth, Welcome to the forum.

A different bladder can really make a difference in the way a bag performs, so the change you noticed due to that is probably not in your head. If you feel negatively about the bag now there are certainly many to choose from.

the fact that it is hurting your hands could be due to either overinflation, and the bag is too hard, or perhaps you need better hand protection, (wraps, gloves) untily they are a bit more conditioned.

good luck.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Hi Lizzy and welcome. Actually, the 4202 is an excellent choice for a beginner. It was part of the old Everlast Pro line, and was lighter than the institutional models that they sold. The idea is to gain control of the bag first, and with that you'll improve your endurance. Then the speed will come. After a while you will get to a point where you can't make that bag go any faster. Then it's time to look for a smaller bag. Many of our members here started out on large bags and have graduated to smaller ones.

Comment

• Randolph
        • May 2012

Hi Lizzy,
        I am new here too, welcome to the forum where you can get the best advice from the greatest in the field.
        My wife has arthritis in her hands so we deflate the bag just a bit for a softer hit and it seems to be less aggitating / more tolerable.
        Just have fun with it and remember what this old timer said if you ever get discouraged by trying to do what these MASTERS make look so easy: trying too hard can take some fun out of it, so just relax, pace yourself slow and steady over the years to come, compete with your own progress, and simply enjoy it to no end!
        Be sure to post some progress vidoes, everyone here is very helpful in diagnosing problems and providing tips that you can't get ANYWHEWRE else.
        Randolph
        Randolph Leslie Smith
        Washington State Licensed Real Estate Broker
        Learned Speed Bag fundamentals in 1973

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          i just checked out ebay and it seems the everlast replacement bladders are rubber not plastic bladders, if you can find the exact bladder you took out then you'll be back where you were with the feel of the bag. titleboxing sells plastic bladder but i don't know how they perform (rebound)...ralph

Try Balazs Boxing

Everlast Replacement Speed Bag Bladders
          Replacement bladders snap-in and require no gluing.
          Use Small for: 4200 and 4204.
          Use Medium for: 4201, 4202, 4210, 4213 and 4214.
          Use Double-End for: 4220.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Lizzy
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2012

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and your help!

Yes, the old bladder was the red plastic. I knew I felt a difference.Thank you!!
            I had been using it for a few weeks and was able to hit it with good response (for a begginer)until my arm would get tired, before the bladder gave way. Now my hands get sore just trying. Yes, I have arthritis also, and the usual things that go along with turning 50....

OK, so.... Good bag for beginner, try the red bladder then change out as I progress. and practice, practice, practice

Thank you for the incentive. I'm quite encouraged.
            I am so fortunate to have found your community. I'm looking forward to the weekend to read up on some back posts and watch some of the videos here.

and thanks for the link

Lizzy
            Last edited by Lizzy; 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
              ...just turned 50 here and also have arthritis. you should ware gloves for support of your hands, that should help with the arthritis in your hands but get the right ones for you, also if u don't know already take some joint support pills and omega-3 fish oil. i stop taking the pills and now i'm paying for it. so they do help with the pain...ralph
              IMO, The best protection for arthritis of the hands is using hand wraps. They are a pain to put on and off, but they allow much more tension and support to be applied to the small bones in the hand, and help reduce the banging of those small bones together, particurly on punches the hit the "side" of the hand, which is a whole lot of them on the speed bag. Gloves protect the hand surfaces and a bit of padding but they do not support the bones in the hand.

The above is also relevant for those who have been away from the speed bag for long periods (months or years) and then return. You might want to wrap up for a while until the bones readjust to all the force and vibration they endure while baggin'.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...