• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z_0
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2012

Speed Bag Platform Selection

I am upgrading my speed bag platform. I need something that is adjustabe. I plan on spending $250 - $500, but could go a little higher if there is a good reason.

There are 3 in particular that I have been looking at.

1) TITLE Boxing Precision Adjustable Speed Bag Platform - normal price is $500, on sale for $250 (maybe this is always on sale, I just started looking). It looks like the worm drive would make adjustment very easy. Weight is 70 lbs.

2) Balazs i-Box Speed Bag Platform - $229. It seems to be popular on this forum. Weight is 47 lbs, according to Amazon.

3) Balazs Twelve Inch Adjustable Speed Bag Platform for $669. This is more than I would like to pay but maybe there is a big difference in performance. It weighs 74 pounds and has a 1.75" solid maple drum.

I have only seen pictures of these. Can anyone that has used these make any comments? When compared to the Balazs i-Box, the Title is quite a bit heavier (partially due to the worm drive) so maybe it is more solidly built?

Would the Balazs Twelve Inch Adjustable perform a lot better than the other 2?

Thanks for any information on these platforms or any other platform in this price range that you think I should consider.
    Last edited by Z_0; 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Z_0 View Post
    I am upgrading my speed bag platform. I need something that is adjustabe. I plan on spending $250 - $500, but could go a little higher if there is a good reason.

There are 3 in particular that I have been looking at.

1) TITLE Boxing Precision Adjustable Speed Bag Platform - normal price is $500, on sale for $250 (maybe this is always on sale, I just started looking). It looks like the worm drive would make adjustment very easy. Weight is 70 lbs.

2) Balazs i-Box Speed Bag Platform - $229. It seems to be popular on this forum. Weight is 47 lbs, according to Amazon.

3) Balazs Twelve Inch Adjustable Speed Bag Platform for $669. This is more than I would like to pay but maybe there is a big difference in performance. It weighs 74 pounds and has a 1.75" solid maple drum.

I have only seen pictures of these. Can anyone that has used these make any comments? When compared to the Balazs i-Box, the Title is quite a bit heavier (partially due to the worm drive) so maybe it is more solidly built?

Would the Balazs Twelve Inch Adjustable perform a lot better than the other 2?

Thanks for any information on these platforms or any other platform in this price range that you think I should consider.
    Hello "Z".

If price isn't that much of an option, perhaps the space where you'll hang it will be.

The first choice (titleboxing adjustable) takes up more wall space for the wooden headers, that appear to span three studs, or need at least 32 inches of wall space. But the board is a simple 24 inch laminate, just like the Balasz I-Box.

The Balazs board in your choice ( Balazs 12 inch and I-box appear to be the same wall unit with the difference of a (1) slightly thick maple board and (2) choice between a 24 and 30 inch board.

I don't know that the board choice justifies the price difference, and you can always make a bigger board yourself if you don't want the laminate board of the I-box.

Personally, I only know of one person who has that particular Title board and I believe he posted that he really like it and it was solid. Probably a great board if you have the wall space to hang it.

Many of us have hit the I-box and I will say it's as solid a board as I've ever hit and very easy to adjust.

One other thing, that may or may not be important to you, but it is to me. I like to drill my swivel holes all the way through the board and use bolts to hold my swivel, with washers and wing nuts on top. That will be easy to do with the Title board listed but a bit more difficult with the I-box since the metal frame comes to the center of the board. However, I remember someone here created a template for drilling swivel holes all the way through the i-box frame to bolt the swivels. I'd have to look back and find that thread.

You could also chose to go with the new flush mount board and swivel from Ms Deville here on the forum. Take off any board that comes with whatever unit you get, and put on the MsDeville flush board that has an awesome ballhook swivel placed IN the board. see lots of recent posts about that.

not sure any of this helps, but I hope so. By the way, any of your choices will pretty much accomplish your goal. A high quality, adjustable speed bag wall unit.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...