• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z_0
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2012

Speed Bags After Rotator Shoulder Surgery

I just found this forum a few days ago. Looks like a lot of useful information. I give my thanks to those who keep it going.

Has anyone out there used a speed bag after shoulder surgery? Do you have any advice you can share?

3 months ago, I had 3 rotator cuff tendons reattached and my biceps tendon reattached. This was my second rotator cuff surgery. Too much time spent in the weight room.

I have been through 2 months of physical therapy and seem to be making good progress.

I started using my speed bag a little bit over the past few days. So far, just a few minutes a day, and it feels pretty good. I want to take it very easy at first and avoid reinjury.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Z_0 View Post
    I just found this forum a few days ago. Looks like a lot of useful information. I give my thanks to those who keep it going.

Has anyone out there used a speed bag after shoulder surgery?
    Yes, myself and many others on this board have had at least one or more shoulder surgeries.

Do you have any advice you can share?

3 months ago, I had 3 rotator cuff tendons reattached and my biceps tendon reattached. This was my second rotator cuff surgery. Too much time spent in the weight room.

I have been through 2 months of physical therapy and seem to be making good progress.

I started using my speed bag a little bit over the past few days. So far, just a few minutes a day, and it feels pretty good. I want to take it very easy at first and avoid reinjury.
    I've had "a few" shoulder reconstructions, minor to major with lots of PT and rehab after them, so I can offer a bit of advice, however I'm not a Doctor, so take any of this with a grain of salt. Since this is your second, AND you're already under professional rehab care I would say...

(1) Get everything I say after this cleared by your rehab physical therapist. You see, Z, the actual specifics of your having (A) "3 rotator cuff tendons" reattached AND (B) "your bicepital tendon reattached" tells me you had pretty extensive injuries and a fairly complex repair, and there are many particulars in these statements that are unknown as well as any chronic arthritic or deterioration within the other joint tissues from long term wear or from the surgery itself. You may have also had a bit of acromioclavicular shaving or reconstruction with this procedure requiring bone growth repair. Only your surgeon and rehab staff know the specifics. As an example, you say the "biceps tendon was reattached". That can mean any of three or four different things. The bicep has two tendons, a long and short head. both do slightly different things and both orginate and insert in two different places. I do know the most common to tear and repair is the long head, normally torn from it's origin inside or just above the glenoid socket. when this is torn completely off the surgeon may reattach it back to it's original position or move it down lower on the humeral head. If the long head was torn from it's origin, you may have also had some labral tearing (lining inside the joint socket) Or maybe in your case it was the short head that was injured. And lastly, maybe your shoulder surgery was all completed via the athroscopic or a full open procedure.

All pretty complicated stuff. I can only say it because I've had most of it. (several times) Not proud of it either. Multiple surgeries is a hard way to learn you are over doing everything. I've gone through rehab on multiple occasions. That is why I say, pass any speed bag punching "rehab advice" through your professionals - just to get their opinions. It really tics them off when you go off on your own, doing things they don't now about. More than once I have demonstrated my normal speed bag punching motions for my surgeon or PT rehab team to get their input. And that is the only reason I will offer you a bit more advice.

(2) thoroughly warm up the shoulder involved before doing anything, speed bag or not. Your rehab team probably already has you doing some of the more standard rotator cuff repair exercises already.

(3) lower the bag until the board is almost on your head. This may depend on how you hit, but I normally hit with my arms up from the shoulder, which is almost impossible if not contraindicated for rotator cuff issues, so you may need to lower the board to reduce the need to raise the upper arm very high.

(4) use the smallest bag you have. I normally used an 8x5 and let a bit of air out of it to make it a bit slower. After surgery I wasn't ready to go anywhere near the speed of a normal 8x5, but a larger bag was a bit heavier and caused more pain on hitting.

(5) Hit very softly and slow. Use 5 rebound if you need to. hitting fast and repetitively is NOT going to help as a rehab activity, but may very well cause re-injury or your second greatest enemy, inflammation. Even if you don't re-tear tissue, constant inflammation puts fluids and swelling pressure on the healing tissues, neither of which is helpful.

(6) you probably do not need to use any elbow striking techniques during rehab, particularly if you tore a posterior rotator cuff tendon, which will really stretch during most elbow techniques. AND with the board lowered, the downward elbow movement is much more difficult, and the setup motion for those will probably be contraindicated, as most throwing oriented movements are not used in rotator cuff therapy. at least early in the recovery. I'm not sure how far in you are, but definitely ask your PT about the elbow moves.

(7) If you PT lets you do the Outward and Inward Elbow speed bag movements, I suggest you start with easy single movements only, meaning no double or triple elbow strikes, which add much more stress to the arm and shoulder joint.

(8) Ask about Reverse Single Punching (RSP) This movement is basically punching back toward yourself, and requires much more force on the biceps of the arm, And puts more strain on that tendon - which was just reattached. That may not be the best way to rehab that tendon, so ask about that. I've had a my left biceps tendon reattached on two different occasions, and I found it easier to start reverse punching with my elbow almost down completely at my side, doing more of a Side Single Punch (SSP), which is really the same motion as the reverse. You're still swinging back at yourself just from a bit of a side angle and bag contact. Even with the elbow down at your side, (to protect the shoulder reattachments) you can work the bicep with this motion. Again, clear it with your rehab team.

(9) If #2-8 are completely rejected by your therapist right now, then maybe you can do a bit of air punching, without the bag. And sing the bag beat. I say that seriously, because TIMING, which is the syncing of all movements to hit the bag repetitively, is an auditory experience, and completely control by our ears. your eyes have little to do with the timing of repetitive speed bag punching, So...singing the beat as you air punch will help keep your fist movements in sync to the sound of the beat.

good luck and I hope some of this helps. Take care of your shoulders, either spend less time in the weight room working shoulders, or stop doing the movements that are causing you grief. I don't know your age, but I can tell you that shoulders that work pain free (I wish) will be worth a lot more to you at 60 than shoulders that are pumped up, overworked, "no pain, no gain" but look great at 30. or 40. OK, even 50.

and I suggest you continue to ice it after any speed bag work.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Z_0
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2012

Thank you for taking time to type all of those details. I will speak to my physical therapist tomorrow and my surgeon the next time I see him about using the speed bag.

The tendon that connected the long head of my biceps to the shoulder was damaged and I have been having shoulder problems for about 5 years, so my doctor cut the tendon where it normally attaches and anchored it to my humerus (Biceps Tenodesis).

I am 58 years old. I have lifted weights almost constantly since I was 18. I have also used the speed bag off and on (mostly off) since 18. It is probably time to put less focus on strength and start working on agility and flexibility. So, the speed bag sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't damage my shoulder.

I will be upgrading my "local sporting goods store" Everlast platform and bag. I am glad I found this forum.
      Last edited by Z_0; 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank you for taking time to type all of those details. I will speak to my physical therapist tomorrow and my surgeon the next time I see him about using the speed bag.

The tendon that connected the long head of my biceps to the shoulder was damaged and I have been having shoulder problems for about 5 years, so my doctor cut the tendon where it normally attaches and anchored it to my humerus (Biceps Tenodesis).
        I am 58 years old. I have lifted weights almost constantly since I was 18. I have also used the speed bag off and on (mostly off) since 18. It is probably time to put less focus on strength and start working on agility and flexibility. So, the speed bag sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't damage my shoulder.

I will be upgrading my "local sporting goods store" Everlast platform and bag. I am glad I found this forum.
        Yep, I fully understand Biceps Tenodesis. I fear my right one is growing in need also. I had kind of forgotten how several bicepital groove pain can be...

Glad any of this helped, and also happy to know you'll run this by your rehab team.

Good luck.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...