• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Digger7
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2011

Goin' Old School

Just purchased a vintage Spaulding model 73-312 (thanks to Dutchman's recommendation to go old school if you want a heavier speed bag). If you've never hit old school, I suggest you give it a try - this bag is about twice as heavy as my new Rival large bag (7" x 10") and maybe 40% larger. I'm guessing it has a rubber bladder (which still holds air) as the rebound is incredible despite its weight and size. Tons of fun to hit.

Due to its large size, I now need a larger platform. How do "old school" platforms compare with new? Are the old wood platforms thicker / stiffer / more dense then new? How good do the real old style ones work (large metal hoop only with no wood)?

Also, any guess how old my Spaulding bag is?
  • Digger7
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2011

Old School

Picture of similar bag here:

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

The Narrengansett and Spaulding platforms (and others from the era) were usually made with metal frames with oak platforms. These are tongue and groove construction. About an inch and a half thick is what I recall. Ask the people here who have one or have hit on one and they'll tell you don't have to add weight to them to reduce vibration, even with the old school bags.

As far as how old your bag is I'd say it's from the 1940's at the earliest, probably post WWII to early 1950's.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
        • Apr 2011

Ive got an old Everlast Bag. It's too big for my board too - rebounds off the edges. But it does make for a good heavy hitting workout when I do hit on it. I'd LOVE an old Naraganset set up. If anyone's got a lead on one give me a heads up!

eX
        Attached Files
        -
        Owner/Operator
        www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
          Ive got an old Everlast Bag. It's too big for my board too - rebounds off the edges. But it does make for a good heavy hitting workout when I do hit on it. I'd LOVE an old Naraganset set up. If anyone's got a lead on one give me a heads up!

eX
          Man, that's an Andre-the-Giant size bag.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Randolph
            • May 2012

Old School Diddle Bag

Originally posted by Digger7 View Post
            Just purchased a vintage Spaulding model 73-312 (thanks to Dutchman's recommendation to go old school if you want a heavier speed bag). If you've never hit old school, I suggest you give it a try - this bag is about twice as heavy as my new Rival large bag (7" x 10") and maybe 40% larger. I'm guessing it has a rubber bladder (which still holds air) as the rebound is incredible despite its weight and size. Tons of fun to hit.

Due to its large size, I now need a larger platform. How do "old school" platforms compare with new? Are the old wood platforms thicker / stiffer / more dense then new? How good do the real old style ones work (large metal hoop only with no wood)?

Also, any guess how old my Spaulding bag is?
            That vintage Spalding looks great, what, about 1960's?

Here is a similar bag made by WILSON that I just found for use on a home made BIGGER BOARD, old school rebound platform made using a commercial door that is holding up fine so far. Laminated interior doors just need to stay dry is all, humidity will trash it eventually, but old growth solid wood slab has GOT to be the BOMB! Problem was, when I bought this door for $20.00, they had wood slabs and it would have cost me $375.00 for a slab of old growth 4" thick, that was barely large enough for this old school bag anyway.
            Attached Files
            Randolph Leslie Smith
            Washington State Licensed Real Estate Broker
            Learned Speed Bag fundamentals in 1973

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Randolph View Post
              That vintage Spalding looks great, what, about 1960's?

Here is a similar bag made by WILSON that I just found for use on a home made BIGGER BOARD, old school rebound platform made using a commercial door that is holding up fine so far. Laminated interior doors just need to stay dry is all, humidity will trash it eventually, but old growth solid wood slab has GOT to be the BOMB! Problem was, when I bought this door for $20.00, they had wood slabs and it would have cost me $375.00 for a slab of old growth 4" thick, that was barely large enough for this old school bag anyway.
              Yep, that's a whopper. the bags of the early days (1904, etc) were always huge. At least in every picture I've seen.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...