I've been using a huge bag - what is it like to chnge to a smaller one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssv1761982
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

I've been using a huge bag - what is it like to chnge to a smaller one?

Hi, I just found this forum recently. I have been using an old Everlast that is about 13" long and 10" across. Watching some of the videos it looks like everybody is using much smaller and faster bags. It takes a lot of energy to keep this old one going. It looks like you guys are much quicker without the need to really punch it. I guess my old one is more rythm than it is speed?

What would be the logical next step. There are so many choices it is mind boggling. Should I try to go just a little smaller as a 1st step?

Thanks
    Dave
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ssv1761982 View Post
    Hi, I just found this forum recently. I have been using an old Everlast that is about 13" long and 10" across. Watching some of the videos it looks like everybody is using much smaller and faster bags. It takes a lot of energy to keep this old one going. It looks like you guys are much quicker without the need to really punch it. I guess my old one is more rythm than it is speed?

What would be the logical next step. There are so many choices it is mind boggling. Should I try to go just a little smaller as a 1st step?

Thanks
    Dave
    Hey SSV1761982

If you had a 13x10 you could probably go to a 10x7 pretty well. If it's a bit difficult than you can always let a bit of air out of it to make it a bit softer and slower.

It is hard to explain but we don't hit "hard" to be quicker on those smaller bags. You swing "smaller" with movement control. Sure, at some point you have to add more and more power to go faster, but it is not like "Hey maker punch" harder. There is always a limit to how fast you can swing with control, and a limit to how fast the bag will go. When most of us get to the upper limit of what we can do on a smaller bag, we go to a smaller bag. On any size bag, we can often hit a lot "harder" than we are punching, but we won't do it repetitively, and that is the secret. If you want to Pound away with full bore power punches you're better off with a heavy bag. If you want to punch repetitively with small but controlled movements, the speed bag is a better choice, for the timing of the bag movement will help develop the technique you need to do it. Hard punches take a lot more distance and time to cover it. Fast punches, although not as hard, require shorter distances.

Personally I try to find the "comfortable Speed" to punch on each size bag.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...