• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neil0383
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Any one know how to fix a tear on a speed bag

My speed bag has a tear on the leather case, just wondering if anyone knows how to do a quick fix or suggestions?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Neil0383 View Post
    My speed bag has a tear on the leather case, just wondering if anyone knows how to do a quick fix or suggestions?
    Try a shoe repair place maybe?

I think most anything you do is temporary at best, once they tear, it's only a matter of time. An actual patch might last the longest.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Is it a tear, or a blown seam? If its a seam they can be sown up fairly easily by a good shoemaker or luggage repair. If it's a tear, it can be patched but depending upon the size of the bag it will probably throw the balence off a bit.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

A tear in the outer leather isn't always fatal until it reaches the size that the bladder protrudes and throws the bag out of balance and also exposes the bladder to being punched directly by the fist. I've hit plenty of bags with a bit of bladder showing from inside the bag, and they have lasted a while. You might try just one strip of Duct tape over it in an attempt to maintain the rip to it's present size. If it keeps going to the point that the bladder pooches out, then it will eventually effect the balance of the bag by warping it's shape. Then it is just a matter of time.

As Dutchman says a blown seam can often be repaired. Many years ago we beat everlast 4200's and 4210's senseless and busted the seams. Then got the seams sewn back to extend their life. Paying a shoe repairman was waaay cheaper that buying a new bag. (Don't we miss the 1970's.. )

I remember once trying to thread heavy guage sewing thread through a sewing needle eye three or four folds thick in an attempt to sew up a small seam explosion by myself. Boy, those were the days.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

I tried the shoe repair route on an Everlast a few years back. It was a panel that had worn through. By the time all was said and done could have purchased a new bag for less. Ended up throwing the bag away as the repair didn't hold. That being said, might fair better with a seam.

I think it all depends on the quality of the bag. If it's well made, you might want to try: http://www.thesportsdoctor.com/strik...r_pricing.html.

He looked at the bag before I went the shoe repair route and said that he wouldn't touch it due to the poor quality of the leather. (No surprise there; thanks Everlast.) Turns out he was right.

Given the pricing structure, not worth the money if it's a cheap bag. Or at least that's my read.

Steve
          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...