• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OLDSCHOOLIRON
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Swivel for title atomix xs bag

Hey guys! Im new to speed bagging& this forum. Ive always wanted to mess with one, and found a good deal on craigslist for a speedbag & heavybag setup.

I had a buddy from work that is training to get his boxing license show me how to bag. He popped the damn bag that came with the setup LOL.......its ok I opted for a a everlast elite bag and everlast pro bearing swivel. This setup was light years ahead of the old crap i was trying to use and Ive gotten better.

Long story short I got a title atomix(sp) XS speedbag when they where on sale. The problem I have is the large U shaped loop of my everylast swivel seems not ideal for this bag. I find the bag loop kind of tweaks off center of the loop and the rythem all goes to hell.

I tried a chain link style swivel but the loop on the bag is way to fat and it wouldnt move freely in the link. I also tried the cheap plastic everlast ball & link style that came with my stand setup.......I admit im a newby but this setup sucks. It does seem pretty worn out( the ball seems chaffed/shaved down LOL).

Do you guys have any success with this bag and any swivels?

Im looking at a Jim Bradley or a powermill evil.

Thoughts?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by OLDSCHOOLIRON View Post
    Hey guys! Im new to speed bagging& this forum. Ive always wanted to mess with one, and found a good deal on craigslist for a speedbag & heavybag setup.

I had a buddy from work that is training to get his boxing license show me how to bag. He popped the damn bag that came with the setup LOL.......its ok I opted for a a everlast elite bag and everlast pro bearing swivel. This setup was light years ahead of the old crap i was trying to use and Ive gotten better.

Long story short I got a title atomix(sp) XS speedbag when they where on sale. The problem I have is the large U shaped loop of my everylast swivel seems not ideal for this bag. I find the bag loop kind of tweaks off center of the loop and the rythem all goes to hell.

I tried a chain link style swivel but the loop on the bag is way to fat and it wouldnt move freely in the link. I also tried the cheap plastic everlast ball & link style that came with my stand setup.......I admit im a newby but this setup sucks. It does seem pretty worn out( the ball seems chaffed/shaved down LOL).

Do you guys have any success with this bag and any swivels?

Im looking at a Jim Bradley or a powermill evil.

Thoughts?
    the problem you mention of the bag loop "tweaking off center" of a U-Bolt is known to several of us, and the quick fix is to try and Tape the bag loop to the swivel center so it can't move around. Here is a link to that information. scroll down the page a bit to see some samples.

Hope it helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• OLDSCHOOLIRON
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

Am I trying to make the loop so tight it can't pivot on the bar? Or just tight enough so it can still move just less so it wont walk up the U ?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Am I trying to make the loop so tight it can't pivot on the bar? Or just tight enough so it can still move just less so it wont walk up the U ?
        I've done it both ways and prefer to try to eliminate any sliding on the bar. Sliding on the bar moves the bag off center and can negatively effect the rebound angles or action, particularly when hitting from all around the bag as some of use do. If you are only hitting from the front, or perhaps front and reverse, then just tightening it good will probably do. But when you start mixing in a lot of side punching I find it best to have the bag centered and locked on the center of the bar.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• OLDSCHOOLIRON
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2012

Ok sounds good. Ill play with the tape and see how it comes out. I wonder if a zip tie would work?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Ok sounds good. Ill play with the tape and see how it comes out. I wonder if a zip tie would work?
            I imagine a zip tie will work tightened around the bag loop, but I use duct tape and do a figure 8 around the bar and top of bag loop to secure it to center of bar. I center the bag and pull down on it hard to keep it centered while I put the tape around the bag and bag with my other hand. If you do this you need to be sure the bag is centered and hanging straight down under the center of the bar. If it's off a bit or taped crooked it will seriously effect the rebound angles.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• OLDSCHOOLIRON
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2012

I thing I grasp how u are wrapping the tape but man that sounds tough to not just have a ball of tape when done lol. I've seen u work magic on the bag so maybe wrapping that tape in and out of the u bolt was easy for u as well.

So u rely on the u bolt simply doing all the moving since the bag is taped down then?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I thing I grasp how u are wrapping the tape but man that sounds tough to not just have a ball of tape when done lol. I've seen u work magic on the bag so maybe wrapping that tape in and out of the u bolt was easy for u as well.

So u rely on the u bolt simply doing all the moving since the bag is taped down then?
                It doesn't take a lot of Tape. I take about a 5-6 inch strip of duct tape (usually ripped long ways also so the strip of tape is only about 1/2 wide) start it over top of the bag loop with about half of the strip overlapping on the swivel bar, then make a figure 8 around once so the tape overlaps the bag loop and a bit of the bar. I only make about one turn, so it's a short strip of tape and only one turn. I don't want to have the weight of the tape to be an issue.

If you've seen me working magic on the bag, then I was most likely using a Ballhook. I know how to doctor a U-Bolt to make it work, but I rarely use them for they are miserable for the way I hit the bag, and when you watch any other of the most awesome forum members cut loose on a U-Bolt you will also see how it adversely affects their routine. Even with a bag taped to the U-Bar, the rebound action will be slightly affected if hitting from all around. It just cannot compare to the pure rebound of a ballhook.

But if you have to use a U-Bar, (they are fast..) then try to tape the bag to the center of the bar and learn to live with it. It's way better than letting if float free on the bar. (just my opinion, others may vary)
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-12-2012, 10:45 AM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• OLDSCHOOLIRON
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2012

Thanks for your help. I tried a zip tie and it's works pretty good. But I think the tape will work even better.

I'd like to try with a Jim Bradley or a powermill evil. The powermill guy seems super busy so I'll have to wait on that.

Anyone know a us seller of the Jim Bradley? The tricks u guys do are awesome but I'm kinda looking for a fast, straight on hit swivel for now.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for your help. I tried a zip tie and it's works pretty good. But I think the tape will work even better.

I'd like to try with a Jim Bradley or a powermill evil. The powermill guy seems super busy so I'll have to wait on that.

Anyone know a us seller of the Jim Bradley? The tricks u guys do are awesome but I'm kinda looking for a fast, straight on hit swivel for now.
                    If you want to do the "tricks" some of us do you will pretty much need a ballhook swivel. A U-bolt might work but the Jim Bradley is a bad choice for all around punching as it locks the bag in on a bar that does not have a full range of motion, and lots of times side punching the way some of us do will not work well on it.

Right now you can get a great ballhook from MsDeville. She has a home made ballhook that is also a great product and you they are ready to mail. PM her for details.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I am not aware of any US reseller of Jim Bradley equipment at this time.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Gozzee,

I can't quote you due to the size of your signature videoclips covering the link, but I will respectfully disagree as to "the best Swivel".

check out this video:

(* if Skunk has control problems, there is a design flaw in the swivel)

that straight chinlink swivel looks just like the aussie swivel that skunk, Me, and everyone else struggled with at the first gathering in New Jersey 2010. It is not hard to see, and easy to find out when hitting, that the link will not turn or allow the bag to react well when a punch lands and the link is sideways to the punch.

It might be fast when it is lined up with the open link facing the punch, but otherwise, the ballhook is far better for "Bible Style" punching from all around.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...