• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juggler
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2012

Best bag for outdoor use

I have a speed bag that hangs on my porch, I live in Florida so we get lots of sun and rain. I'm wondering if there's a bag that will last longer than a traditional leather bag? I've gone though 3 bags with minimal use.

Thanks
    Juggler
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Juggler View Post
    I have a speed bag that hangs on my porch, I live in Florida so we get lots of sun and rain. I'm wondering if there's a bag that will last longer than a traditional leather bag? I've gone though 3 bags with minimal use.

Thanks
    Juggler
    Hi Jim,

I hate to state the obvious, and I know I'll be hooted out of the forum for saying it, but the best bag for outdoor use is any bag you take back inside after you use it. Leaving any bag outside in the elements, particular the extreme heat and humidity of florida, will probably send it to an early grave.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-31-2012, 09:53 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Juggler
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Hi Jim,

I hate to state the obvious, and I know I'll be hooted out of the forum for saying it, but the best bag for outdoor use is any bag you take back inside after you use it. Leaving any bag outside in the elements, particular the extreme heat and humidity of florida, will probably send it to an early grave.
      I agree that's probably the best idea, but I have to be honest with myself and know that I'm not going to take it in at night. Even when I travel there's a good chance I'm not going to bring it in. Just wondering if there's something other than leather that hold up better.

Juggler

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Juggler View Post
        I agree that's probably the best idea, but I have to be honest with myself and know that I'm not going to take it in at night. Even when I travel there's a good chance I'm not going to bring it in. Just wondering if there's something other than leather that hold up better.

Juggler
        You might try the "vinyl" type bags, or maybe just cover it with something. Of course, you may have a more difficult swivel to deal with and it's a royal pain to get the bag off (ie...chainlink).
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-01-2012, 01:25 AM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Winning makes a synthetic bag,

There is also the Title Atomic Platinum, but those are small and very lightweight.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            Winning makes a synthetic bag,

There is also the Title Atomic Platinum, but those are small and very lightweight.
            DO NOT GET THE XXS teeny tiny. It is too small. Stay with the Small size or larger.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hannibal
              • Dec 2010

The new rivals are made out of a non leather type of material that is very sturdy. May want to try those.

Comment

• markallen
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2012

I think trolley bag is the best for outdoors.

ppc management
                pay per click management

Comment

• Johnny O
                  • Apr 2011

I have the new Rival black and yellow bag. It's a great bag, very fast and seems to be very durable. I would still never leave it outside for even one night. I am very protective of my bags that way. Plus I live in NJ so most likely the bag would be gone the next day.

You should do like Alan first suggested... Unhook the bag or unscrew the swivel (whichever is easier) each night.

Comment

• juxt
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

lol, actually there is one bag that might be ok outside. everlast plasticon i think its called, been out of production for a while. its just a solid piece of rubber, no seams.
                    i had one when i was around 8, i wasn't crazy about it tbh. it was slow from what i remember.lol

Comment

• dogtoke
                      • Jun 2008

You might try moving to a ball hook swivel. One second on..one second off

Comment

• elitebag
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2012

Maybe you can use cloth bags instead.

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Actually the Plasticon bag is more or less still available. Those novelty bags that Everlast sells, the ones that are mounted on a spring attached to a large ( more or less useless) suction cup are essentially the same thing. I've converted one over to a conventional set up using the appropiately sized eye bolt. And yes it's pretty dead, but it seems that it would take weather a bit better than the pleather bags, plus they are fairly cheap. They retail for around twenty bucks, and can be found on eBay for a lot less.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            (Today, 03:56 AM )Actually the Plasticon bag is more or less still available. Those novelty bags that Everlast sells, the ones that are mounted on a spring attached to a large ( more or less useless) suction cup are essentially the same thing. I've converted one over to a conventional set up using the appropiately sized eye bolt. And yes it's pretty dead, but it seems that it would take weather a bit better than the pleather bags, plus they are fairly cheap. They retail for around twenty bucks, and can be found on eBay for a lot less.
                            Seriously? Why did you convert one over?

ps: I see you're up at 3:56am also...
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...