• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Python
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2011

newbie thanking the forum

hello all!

I have had an itch to start the speed bagging up after owning a rinky dink one many years ago. I am looking to start off with the basics and find my rhythm while getting comfortable with the bag. I did some research on the forum and found that the better platforms are the thicker heavier ones with low to no vibration. after a little more searching, the balazs jumped out on me. I would have loved to get a custom wood block, but the balazs seemed very good.

I checked eBay and Craigslist daily and exchanged some emails with the people at balazs and right when I was about to pull the trigger, a platform popped up on Craigslist. it was not up 3 hours before I was on my way to meet the seller. instead of paying over $500 not including bags and mounts, i picked the platform up for $150 and he included 2 bags of what size i don't know and 2 mounts of which i do not like. with the money I saved i splurged on some old everlast ball hooks from eBay.

thanks for all the great info on the forum and if someone can help a newb out I have a couple questions. I do not know where to measure the bags from, but they do look small. I need to start off bigger. what size do you recommend? I was thinking fighting brand, but I see some other nice bags, but do not want to fall for any gyro balanced gimmicks. also, i do not know how to take the bag off i have added some pic's, but bear with me if I have trouble uploading.

thanks again

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Python View Post
    hello all!

...thanks for all the great info on the forum and if someone can help a newb out I have a couple questions. I do not know where to measure the bags from, but they do look small. I need to start off bigger. what size do you recommend? I was thinking fighting brand, but I see some other nice bags,

thanks again

Hello Python, Welcome to the forum.

What a beautiful board and set up you have!

The size bag you use is generally related to your level of skill or the type of workout your want to do, but for a beginner we normally recommend larger bags for they are slower and easier to control, as well as more forgiving than their smaller, faster brethren.

For a beginner, there are many possibilities and with that full size board you can go several ways. Here are some links to some bags I would recommend that will work just fine on that full size board.

Title Brand Bags. either of these should work. Best Price of the bunch and great bags.

Small 6" x 9" Red
    Medium 7" x 10" Black

Fighting Sports Pro Speed Bag - 6" x 9" (currently using this a lot lately)
    Fighting Sports Pro Speed Bag - 7" x 10"

Title Black Gyro

The 9x6 or 10x7 are great bags. I have and use both but if the "gyro" term scares you off, stay with one of the other two.

If you get any of the 9x6 sizes above and it's a bit too fast or hard to control, you can let a bit of air out of it to deaden the rebound a bit.

If you call Title to order tell that these bags were recommend on Speedbagforum.com - They do care about that and it can help the forum in various ways.

Originally posted by Python View Post

also, i do not know how to take the bag off i have added some pic's

Don't feel bag. That Chain link has befuddled many a newbie.

Here is a weblink to some information that may help you understand the parts and disassembly of that style chain link Swivel.

The key is not to damage the thin retaining clip. You may not have a pair of retaining ring pliers and the chances of damaging or breaking it as you spread or pry the edges up and over the locks (as well as sticking yourself with a knife or screw driver) go up greatly.

However, if you damage the locking clip, all is not lost. You can still put the bag on as assembled, press the #3 Bag attachment link and #4 Open link end together to touch the leather bag attachment loop and wrap a piece of duct tape around it, pressing and holding them together. This fix will not interfere with the action of the swivel.

Should you not want to use those great looking Ballhooks you can bet some forum members will love to get a shot. I think I saw them on ebay as a pair not long ago.

Hope the above helps.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-22-2012, 03:34 AM. Reason: speed bags, speed bag swivels
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Python
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2011

Thanks speedbag! I will try to use the tips to take the bag off when I get home. Yes those hooks are from eBay. I thought with all the money I saved finding the platform and bags so cheap, I could splurge a little bit. I will look into the bigger bags you suggested as well. Thanks again!
      Last edited by Python; 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Python
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        WOW you got yourself a deal. those cleto reyes bags are around $80 dollors a bag and that board looks nice and thick. i like the shape of the smaller cleto bag, looks to have a more tear drop shape than the bigger one. have fun baggin on that set up...ralph
        Thank you kindly! Yes I did get a great deal,I was about to spend way more until that Craigslist ad popped up. I originally was looking for a 30" drum, but I settled with the 24" because it was too good to pass up. I just went ahead and purchased the fighting sports large 7x10 bag to start off with. Cleto has a nice 7x11 for beginners like myself, but it was about $90
        Last edited by Python; 01-23-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
          • Jan 2012

We're all thinking it:

YOU LUCKY DUCK!!

Enjoy!!

Comment

• Python
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
            We're all thinking it:

YOU LUCKY DUCK!!

Enjoy!!
            Thank you man. I darn near asked to leave work early when that craigslist ad popped up. And for it to be the balasz was just pure luck. I didn't even know he was throwing in the bags and mounts until I was putting it in my car. I said how do I take your bag off sir and he said take it and take this one too lol. I left so fast the neighbors may have thought I was committing a crime.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...