X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reggabdeeps
    • Jun 2011

Swivel ID needed

i got the below swivel off Ebay, came with an old Everlast bag, and speedbag gloves so i immediately assumed it was an Everlast. well when it arrives in the mail i notice the base is stamped with "Striking bag swivel, Made in the USA"... nothing related to Everlast at all. i wanted an Everlast because i intend to use it at my local gym which has a Balazs platform and Everlast base.

well luckily it does fit in the Everlast base. I’d like to know the model so I can get replacement parts if needed, in case the ball or hook ever wear out.

it was filthy when I got it, cleaned it up a bit but may still take a wire brush to it just to finish getting the rest of the crud out.
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I have some "very old" everlast metal ballhooks and the all have the word everlast on them, so I assume it's not an old everlast. Many years ago I saw Ballhooks without the everlast name but I don't know who made them. Perhaps tufwear, for they were a major player years ago. Bet ya Dutch or Paranday can find out.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I'd hazard a guess that it's indeed an old TufWear, maybe dating back to when the company was in Brooklyn. Take note of the similarities to the old style Everlast ball hooks. As I recall they were even interchangeable!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I can't help in regards to the make, but I can tell you it looks like a damn good swivel. Nice find!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          I can't help in regards to the make, but I can tell you it looks like a damn good swivel. Nice find!
          Actually the interest thing I see is the very noticeable offset "S" hook in the upward flange. I have one just like that, but an old everlast. the upward flange of the "S" hook is noticeably offset to the left of the shaft shaft, probably to make it easier to put a bag on, since it doesn't match up with the shaft. Modern "S" design has the upward crook of the "S" directly in line with the shaft.

You can really see that best in the middle picture above. Also on left.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• reggabdeeps
            • Jun 2011

thanks for all the great info. ive been hitting it for the last few days and its great so far, nice rebound action. what has me concerned is the eye bolt. it is indented from hitting the Ballhousing and i am hoping to get it replaced before it gets any worse. any suggestions to where i can get another?

do the Ballhousings or the ball ever wear out and need to be replaced?

i know you guys may consider it a great find for speedbag history but i am concerned i'd have to replace it sooner than expected since it already has some wear.
            Last edited by reggabdeeps; 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
              thanks for all the great info. ive been hitting it for the last few days and its great so far, nice rebound action. what has me concerned is the eye bolt. it is indented from hitting the Ballhousing and i am hoping to get it replaced before it gets any worse. any suggestions to where i can get another?

do the Ballhousings or the ball ever wear out and need to be replaced?

i know you guys may consider it a great find for speedbag history but i am concerned i'd have to replace it sooner than expected since it already has some wear.
              Yes I've had ballhousing get worn down severly to the point of flanging up all round the ball and the ball hang down lower.

I haven't had much luck changing ballhousings among different brands. IF that swivel is an everlast than an everlast ballhousing may fit, but be careful of the threads. If they don't match up with the base plate or get cross threaded you can ruin both pieces. If it's not an everlast than I don't know what brand it will match.

A better option may be to find a plastic ballhook and put that ball and eyeshank inside the plastic housing. I have several like that, and they are much quieter as well as the plastic housing doesn't seem to cut the eyeshank.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Eventually, yes they wear out, although the earlier vintage swivels were made with much more durable material than the final generation. Any number of lubricants have been used on the ball, from sewing machine oils to light grease to dry lubes. Our own JumpCannon has made availble to forum members his superb Super Swivel, AKA the "Evil" Swivel. Made to tolerences and materials that the modern supliers wouldn't dream off, this bagger's dream swivel appears to have set the bar so high that it will take decades to be overtaken. Alas, his day (and night) job has forced a temporary cesation of production.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Eventually, yes they wear out, although the earlier vintage swivels were made with much more durable material than the final generation. Any number of lubricants have been used on the ball, from sewing machine oils to light grease to dry lubes. Our own JumpCannon has made availble to forum members his superb Super Swivel, AKA the "Evil" Swivel. Made to tolerences and materials that the modern supliers wouldn't dream off, this bagger's dream swivel appears to have set the bar so high that it will take decades to be overtaken. Alas, his day (and night) job has forced a temporary cesation of production.
                  Boy that's the truth. that last few generations of ballhooks were made of a noticeably softer metal and the housings wore fast, the eye-shank cut easier and the "S" hook would wear away. But I have some from the 70's that are still rock solid.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PDXBAGGER
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2011

Hey Reggabdeeps, I had bid on that swivel as well. Im glad it went to another forum member, I hope it winds up working great for you. I just picked up an old everlast off ebay in much worse shape. Im hoping I can rehab it as well.

PDX

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...