• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BankHead
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2011

New kid on the block what speed bag should i get

I really enjoy the sport and plan on doing this for awhile. Right now i have the everlast durahide and I can tell the material is shitty. Let me know what you think I should upgrade to. Thanks
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BankHead View Post
    I really enjoy the sport and plan on doing this for awhile. Right now i have the everlast durahide and I can tell the material is shitty. Let me know what you think I should upgrade to. Thanks
    Hi Bankhead, and welcome to the forum. I would recommend just about anything from titleboxing.com There bags are very reliable and fairly priced. Many forum members also like the white 8x5 Fighting Sports bag.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• reggabdeeps
      • Jun 2011

i started with a NOS ringside 9x6 from ralph and just got a FS 8x5 which i can tell i am gonna fall in love with.

its nice to have different sizes so you can switch it up when you start getting a little bored.

Comment

• jimmyspeed
        • Apr 2010

excellent bags and modestly priced is the fighting sports line
        jimmyspeed

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hi Bankhead, and welcome to the forum. I would recommend just about anything from titleboxing.com There bags are very reliable and fairly priced. Many hear also like the white 8x5 Fighting Sports bag.

Hope that helps.

X2, just about everything Title boxing makes is very good, I own and use many of their bags regularly.

Comment

• Hannibal
            • Dec 2010

for your first bag don't get a 8x5. Get a 10x7 bag or a bag with a fat bottom. That way you build up endurance and power, which allows speed and timing to follow. After a while the 8x5 will just become common for you. I would have nothing else than an 8x5 now. Love them. Tim made me fall in love with the title bags, and think I am one of the few who absolutely adore the gyro 8x5.

Comment

• reggabdeeps
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
              for your first bag don't get a 8x5. Get a 10x7 bag or a bag with a fat bottom. That way you build up endurance and power, which allows speed and timing to follow. After a while the 8x5 will just become common for you. I would have nothing else than an 8x5 now. Love them. Tim made me fall in love with the title bags, and think I am one of the few who absolutely adore the gyro 8x5.
              from the original post, its assumed that he already has a larger bag... since he already has some experience, i would suggest to go with an 9x6 and 8x5.

let us know what you decide.

Comment

• GoTool
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Oct 2011

"What Bag Should I Get?"

This question really resonates with me.

I have limited experience with speedbags, and consider myself an accomplished beginner, controlling an Everlast #4208 (11"x8"? What I consider "big"- more of a power & endurance builder) with basic, forward strikes. But when someone asks, "What's next?" I get curious...

I suppose different bags have varied "personalities" for speed, rebound and so forth, but how does a relative noob decide which direction to pursue? In a perfect world someone in my/our position could go to a boxing club or MMA facility and hope for exposure to an assortment of bags - both mfgs and styles. (Yes, yes...In a REALLY perfect world, we'd go to "Speed Bag III" and get schooled!) But without that king of opportunity, isn't it a dice-roll to buy another bag hoping for the best?

I understand the progression to smaller, faster bags, and I know we're not talking HUGE dollars to gather a small assortment of bags, but do most baggers just use trial-and-error? Do advanced baggers rely on a bags reputation, or is there a rating system, or is it purely a personal thing? I seem to recall some (online) resource including numbers for rebound or such for various bags.

I want to send a big "Thanks!" to all the contributors here. Giving your time is a gift that will keep on giving...
                Denny

Comment

• Hannibal
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
                  from the original post, its assumed that he already has a larger bag... since he already has some experience, i would suggest to go with an 9x6 and 8x5.

let us know what you decide.
                  Title of the thread is NKOTB. I was speaking in terms of a beginner. You gonna correct my spelling next? Back to the question...another brand you might want to try that I recently found is Throwdown. They are manufactured by the same company as ringside, but the material they use on their product are of a higher quality. I put my Cleto in the box for now, and have been strictly using my throwdown. Title is the overall best bang for your buck, but if you want a quality bag a step up from title I suggest throwdown. Only a step up due to the material used. I prefer the bounce of the throwdown over title too.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by GoTool View Post
                    This question really resonates with me.

I have limited experience with speedbags, and consider myself an accomplished beginner, controlling an Everlast #4208 (11"x8"? What I consider "big"- more of a power & endurance builder) with basic, forward strikes. But when someone asks, "What's next?" I get curious...

I suppose different bags have varied "personalities" for speed, rebound and so forth, but how does a relative noob decide which direction to pursue? In a perfect world someone in my/our position could go to a boxing club or MMA facility and hope for exposure to an assortment of bags - both mfgs and styles. (Yes, yes...In a REALLY perfect world, we'd go to "Speed Bag III" and get schooled!) But without that king of opportunity, isn't it a dice-roll to buy another bag hoping for the best?

I understand the progression to smaller, faster bags, and I know we're not talking HUGE dollars to gather a small assortment of bags, but do most baggers just use trial-and-error? Do advanced baggers realy on a bags reputation, or is there a rating system, or is it purely a personal thing? I seem to recall some (online) resource including numbers for rebound or such for various bags.

I want to send a big "Thanks!" to all the contributors here. Giving your time is a gift that will keep on giving...
                    Denny
                    I'm not one to get "technical" but not all advanced baggers are made equal, for not all have a huge range of experience on different bags (yet). A guy/gal may be very skilled in punching yet has only hit one bag the entire time. I know some awesome baggers with very few bags only because of their financial situation, and they can't afford to buy a bunch of different bags, and might not know how different bag shapes, bladders etc. feel and will effect their punching routine, but then again due to skill of control (control is KEY in speed bag) they should adapt to any bag quickly.

I would say that "advanced or highly experienced" baggers will take the suggestion of another bagger they respect and give a bag a try, But I think your statement "....is it a personal thing" is more correct. Kinda like The most interesting man in the world, who "doesn't often drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis. A bagger could say "I don't hit the speed bag that much, but when I do, I prefer........"

An experienced bagger can make any bag feel like a great bag. I can tell you a bag that is differently shaped or has a different "feel" (rebound or give to hand) is noticeable to an experienced bagger but within 30-45 seconds they will adapt to it. It is easier for me to adapt to a different bag shape or action than a totally different swivel. ( go from ballhook to U-Bolt and see the difference in action) but then again I can adapt to it because I'll automatically open the vault of U-Bolt experience and watch the alignment of the U to know what to expect on the next punch or combo. I dare say Skunk and Tim can adapt to any swivel, bag within seconds, because they have tried lots of different ones, but have the skill and control to make it comfortable very quickly.

Here is the throwdown speed bag suggested by Hannibal. I haven't hit one yet but by looking at the bag shape I would probably pass on buying it. Like most here I am always "...looking for that perfect bag" but the shape of this would have me keep looking. There is too much slope down under the bag belly for my taste, but then again sometimes an un-preferred shape has a lot of pop and good bounce. Kinda like this Everlast bag. I don't like it's shape (too long, high belly etc) but I've heard it hits really well. I think there was a few at the gathering but I didn't get around to hitting it.

I'll end by saying that even bags with the "preferred" tear drop shape, (low belly not much slope under) and small bag loop can react badly and punch dead, due to quality of leather or bladder inside. I'm not a bladder expert and have rarely changed them. Many folks I respect in the bag world say the bladder material and size makes a huge difference in the bounce and action.

This probably didn't help but just my 2 cents on bags.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...