• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyconway
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

Hello from the UK.

Hi there all.

I'm brand new to the speed bag/ball game. I've lurked on the site for a week and have been reading lots. This forum is packed with info.

My name is Sean (pronounced Shaun or Shawn) and I live in dreary Stoke on Trent. I'm originally from Swindon but grew up in Wales & have lived in London.

I have a Reebok platform that came with an awful chain link swivel. I have made a swivel from the parts of 2 swivels but it still sucks. I've just bought an everlast plastic ball hook swivel off ebayUSA, so I have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered.

Can any UK baggers please let me know where to buy bags in the UK. I have a Golds gym bag which is quite big and feels cheap but only cost £7, so no real loss there.

That's it for now I think.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jimmyconway View Post
    Hi there all.

I'm brand new to the speed bag/ball game. I've lurked on the site for a week and have been reading lots. This forum is packed with info.

My name is Sean (pronounced Shaun or Shawn) and I live in dreary Stoke on Trent. I'm originally from Swindon but grew up in Wales & have lived in London.

I have a Reebok platform that came with an awful chain link swivel. I have made a swivel from the parts of 2 swivels but it still sucks. I've just bought an everlast plastic ball hook swivel off ebayUSA, so I have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered.

Can any UK baggers please let me know where to buy bags in the UK. I have a Golds gym bag which is quite big and feels cheap but only cost £7, so no real loss there.

That's it for now I think.
    Welcome to the forum. We have lots of UK baggers (ballers) in here that are very knowledgeable about equipment options in the UK and I'm sure they will be able to help you. When that plastic ballhook arrives be sure and unscrew the shank and fill the hole and shank with superglue and screw it back in tight. Let it set for about a day and it will last you a lot longer. I've had a few of them and if you don't superglue the shank into the ball it will start unscrewing all the time. Look here and scroll down the page to see "Plastic Ballhook".

again, welcome to the world of baggin'!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jimmyconway
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2011

Thanks for the welcome.

I've already read about the hook coming out from previous posts and I've seen ukspeedbag's metal ball fix. I have a 22mm drillable ball on it's way so that should do the trick.

Comment

• pip
        • Apr 2010

welcome jimmyconway great to have another uk bagger on board sugarrays for lonsdale authentic peanut or rival 8x5 both great bags bag on Pip

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

welcome to the forum

Hi Jimmy,

well, I've shopped around for speedballs from various places and I'd say the best online sites for us in the UK to go with are, Sugar Rays, Boxfit UK. BodyActive have good prices for Lonsdale stuff at the moment. I rate the Lonsdale speedballs too, and especially like the authentic peanut.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Comment

• jimmyconway
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by pip View Post
            welcome jimmyconway great to have another uk bagger on board sugarrays for lonsdale authentic peanut or rival 8x5 both great bags bag on Pip
            Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
            BodyActive have good prices for Lonsdale stuff at the moment. I rate the Lonsdale speedballs too, and especially like the authentic peanut.
            Thanks for the welcome guys and based on your replys I'm going for the Lonsdale peanut bag.
            http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/S...peanutball.asp These guys offer free delivery so it's a winner!

Comment

• Geforce
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2011

Thanks for the welcome guys and based on your replys I'm going for the Lonsdale peanut bag.
              http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/S...peanutball.asp These guys offer free delivery so it's a winner!
              but its out off stock

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Welcome to the forum!! check out the sports direct website they sometimes stock Lonsdale! and they usually arrive next day!!

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Jimmy! you come to a great place here at the forum. I see you've already got some great advice. Enjoy the speedball journey mate I wonder if you'll get addicted to this stuff???
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• jimmyconway
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Aug 2011

A small update.

I managed to get an Everlast swivel from ebay.com.
                    8 days delivered from the US

Another 2 ebay purchases and I had the Speed Bag Bible for 99p and most recently a Ringside bag. (got a bit worried when i peeled the Made In China sticker off, but I soon calmed down when I rembered that most of our UK possessions are imports)

I've doubled the thickness of my platform to reduce vibration with more to be added. Note the added record box on top

I'm slowly making progress. My main aim at the moment is building my stamina up. I didn't think that keeping my elbows up would hurt so. I now have a new respect for plasterers.
                    Last edited by jimmyconway; 10-07-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• jimmyconway
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2011

Another update

The penny has now dropped.

I have now learnt that less speed, power and a slight deflation of the bag increases the development of techinque.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

The penny has now dropped.

I have now learnt that less speed, power and a slight deflation of the bag increases the development of techinque.
                        JC, rename this activity from "the speed bag" to "the control bag". You get control of YOUR repetitive movements and power by doing this slowly, with no force, power or attempted speed. The weight of your hand alone can make the bag rebound 3-4 times. You don't have to hit hard. You'll never get impressive repetitive speed without control, and then speed will come without thinking about it. Deflating a small bag that is a bit too fast for you is a good idea.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jimmyconway
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2011

Hey guys. I'm back after a few years. Finally found a place where baggin' doesn't upset the neighbours!

I sold the old setup and purchased an RDX platform off eBay. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it, although the swivel is gash. I think it's a rip off Everlast cotter pin swivel. I'm on the lookout for a new swivel and a new bag.

Comment

• stefoz
                            • Apr 2015

Welcome to the forum.Fingers has given you a good tip.Lonsdale is having a new bag coming out soon and they refered me to sports direct website for it.

cheers

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2015

Welcome back Jimmy.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...