• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KalThatch
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

weighted gloves

Ive been surfing the forum for a few weeks, i must say its a good community that you all have developed here. I hope to become a valued member. I just got my first bag, built a custom platform, and been at it for about 2 weeks. i was sad to read that JC wont be producing the powermill anymore. I guess i was really fortunate to order one last week! got it 2 days ago and i absolutely love it (not to rub it in for anyone who might have unfortunately missed the boat).

My question is about getting a good workout on the bag. im to the point that i can keep a good rythm going for a few minutes, getting much faster. I need to lose about 30 lbs, ya know, get in shape. would it be a bad idea to use weighted gloves on the bag? would it mess up my rythm and timing too much if i decided to alternate between weighted and non-weighted? do you think it would be bad on my joints, long term? i dont want to do anything dumb, but i would enjoy the extra burn on my shoulders and tris.

Also, does anyone have any good work routines/reps that will help get into an anaerobic level for 10-15 minutes?

thanks for all that ive learned already!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi KalThatch. Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by KalThatch View Post
    would it be a bad idea to use weighted gloves on the bag?
    IMO, Yes for the long term. I tried them years ago and they aggravated shoulder problems, particularly cuff impingment.

would it mess up my rythm and timing too much if i decided to alternate between weighted and non-weighted? do you think it would be bad on my joints, long term? i dont want to do anything dumb, but i would enjoy the extra burn on my shoulders and tris.
    IMO, yes it will overload the swinging fulcrum on your elbows and shoulders over the long term. As you swing harder and faster the extra leverage weight can lead to injury. This is from my Certified Athletic Trainer I saw many times in Therapy over years of neck, shoulder and elbow problems. Weights added to the end of limbs in motion can greatly increase the chance of repetitive injury. Rather than use weights on the arms, think of the bag as a "dumbbell" resistance, and use larger bags, which take more force to keep them going.

Also, does anyone have any good work routines/reps that will help get into an anaerobic level for 10-15 minutes?
    Try some of these focused speed bag workouts

and perhaps these Unique Workouts if your equipment set up will let you. There are many new cycles and stepping options available now that work with wall units. These really up the caloric burn of your workout, as well as the body coordination to do them.

Keep punching and hope this helps!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• KalThatch
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2011

Thanks for the reply Alan! that info is exactly what i am looking for. I would hate to do long term damage to joints and tendons for some short term gains.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Glad it helps.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...