• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wdipaulo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

Newbie question - building platform

Hey all ... first post but already been getting some great help from folks here on the forum. Thanks to all so far ... so been heavy bag training for a while (although my heavy bag is too lite for me, working on a replacement) but wanted to expand to the speed bag ... grabbed some used stuff and the Bible and now need to finish my platform. Its going to be a 36" x 36" plywood (2 x 3/4" glued), connected by wooden framing to low basement ceiling rafters ... so here is my question. As its going to be a fixed height, and a pain to re-install, how much above your height is best height for your platform? Figured all you veterans would be bagging long enough to have a better feel for that than I would, and as i can on pick one height, figured i would ask for some input to keep me from screwing up too badly. So appreciate the input if anyone has any ... Thanks in advance ... William
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by wdipaulo View Post
    Hey all ... first post but already been getting some great help from folks here on the forum. Thanks to all so far ... so been heavy bag training for a while (although my heavy bag is too lite for me, working on a replacement) but wanted to expand to the speed bag ... grabbed some used stuff and the Bible and now need to finish my platform. Its going to be a 36" x 36" plywood (2 x 3/4" glued), connected by wooden framing to low basement ceiling rafters ... so here is my question. As its going to be a fixed height, and a pain to re-install, how much above your height is best height for your platform? Figured all you veterans would be bagging long enough to have a better feel for that than I would, and as i can on pick one height, figured i would ask for some input to keep me from screwing up too badly. So appreciate the input if anyone has any ... Thanks in advance ... William
    If it won't be adjustable I would set it high enough to use the biggest (longest) speed bag you plan to use. The larger the bag the more room you need overhead (remember: Belly of the Bag needs to be at your mouth). When you use a smaller bag, the belly will be higher and you can always adjust yourself "up" or higher by standing on a platform on the floor. If you set the board to low you cannot adjust for a larger bag unless you spread your legs or bend your knees. That is uncomfortable and It' easier to raise yourself up to a higher board.

Put your swivel on the board and the largest bag you have or use, hold it up so the bag belly is at your mouth and that is where your board needs to be (for you). I don't know how many inches that is, but you could have someone measure if for you.

Hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...