• Show
Clear All
  • Kid Prodigy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

Newbie looking for advice on how to reduce vibration

I bought a set with the stock items.
    Century Adjustable Speedbag Platform:
    Shop for sneakers, running shoes, outdoor gear & more at Sport Chek. Get everything you need for your active lifestyle delivered the same day to your doorstep with Doordash.

1" Tubular Steel
    7" adjustable Track
    24" wood one-piece platform
    Multi panel 10" speed bag included
    All mounting hardware is included

i live in an apartment and i've already been too loud with it.
    but its the vibration that is causing a problem since the walls throughout the apartment is hollow.
    I've installed it with two wooden planks on studs in the wall.
    im thinking of using sandbags but my dad said it might tear down the wall and fall ( can anyone confirm this?)
    could anyone give me some helpful advice ?
  • John M
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2011

If you used long enough screws and you are really in the studs of your wall then you should be fine as long as you don't put 50 pounds on it. and if you don't feel it is sturdy enough put a couple of extra screws in it.
    Or you could try to put some dense foam rubber in between the drum and the metal framing. kind of like weather striping.
    I know my set up has some thick rubber to take some of the vibrations out

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kid Prodigy View Post
      I bought a set with the stock items.
      Century Adjustable Speedbag Platform:
      Shop for sneakers, running shoes, outdoor gear & more at Sport Chek. Get everything you need for your active lifestyle delivered the same day to your doorstep with Doordash.

1" Tubular Steel
      7" adjustable Track
      24" wood one-piece platform
      Multi panel 10" speed bag included
      All mounting hardware is included

but its the vibration that is causing a problem since the walls throughout the apartment is hollow.
      im thinking of using sandbags but my dad said it might tear down the wall and fall ( can anyone confirm this?)
      Hi Kid Prodigy.

I understand your problem and you have done about as much as you can under that circumstances. Sandbags over the top may help reduce the vibration. I don't know if that will damage the wall or bow it out, but I had a similiar set up and use to put blankets on the top with a 30-lb dumbell that i took down when i wasn't punching. I did not leave the extra weight up over the board 24/7. Purhaps the sand bags will help if only used when needed.
      Not sure this helps much but Good luck.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the forum, Kid. Lots of valuable info here...

My advice would be to find a place outside to set it up. Does your apartment come with its own garage/carport space? How about in an area of the apartment complex that will allow you to install it? Like the basement area... laundry room, utility room, rec room, workout room...

I remember Geronimo – a member on the forum – mentioned in a thread that he had worked out an arrangement with his neighbor in his apartment building. He agreed to speed bag only when she wasn't there, I think. And not too late at night. I think one of his speed bag videos was him hitting the bag in very soft but controlled punches. So, I guess there is something to be said about soft-punching the bag. It can really help one learn to control the bag...

Good luck on finding a solution to your dilemma...let us know if you come up with a workable solution. This has been an ongoing issue with several members of the forum.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Kid Prodigy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by John M View Post
          If you used long enough screws and you are really in the studs of your wall then you should be fine as long as you don't put 50 pounds on it. and if you don't feel it is sturdy enough put a couple of extra screws in it.
          Or you could try to put some dense foam rubber in between the drum and the metal framing. kind of like weather striping.
          I know my set up has some thick rubber to take some of the vibrations out
          Oh okay thanks.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hi Kid Prodigy.

I understand your problem and you have done about as much as you can under that circumstances. Sandbags over the top may help reduce the vibration. I don't know if that will damage the wall or bow it out, but I had a similiar set up and use to put blankets on the top with a 30-lb dumbell that i took down when i wasn't punching. I did not leave the extra weight up over the board 24/7. Purhaps the sand bags will help if only used when needed.
          Not sure this helps much but Good luck.
          Alright i'll take a shot at it.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Welcome to the forum, Kid. Lots of valuable info here...

My advice would be to find a place outside to set it up. Does your apartment come with its own garage/carport space? How about in an area of the apartment complex that will allow you to install it? Like the basement area... laundry room, utility room, rec room, workout room...

I remember Geronimo – a member on the forum – mentioned in a thread that he had worked out an arrangement with his neighbor in his apartment building. He agreed to speed bag only when she wasn't there, I think. And not too late at night. I think one of his speed bag videos was him hitting the bag in very soft but controlled punches. So, I guess there is something to be said about soft-punching the bag. It can really help one learn to control the bag...

Good luck on finding a solution to your dilemma...let us know if you come up with a workable solution. This has been an ongoing issue with several members of the forum.
          It doesn't have any of those rooms, its a parkhouse :P
          can you stll go fast and still keep it quiet though?

My dad has suggested he put carpet and an extra piece of wood the shape of the platform on it. And carpet around the adjacent walls. Does anyone know if this would really help?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Every time the bag hits the platform the sound and vibration is going to be transmitted and maybe even amplified through the walls. Multi occupant dwelings and wall mounted platforms don't mix very well. This is especially true with today's construction methods and materials. You can try the suggestions above, they are all good, but in the long run I suspect that you'll have to go the freestanding route either a homebuilt cage or one of the commercial units if you don't want to be evicted.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Oh okay thanks.

Alright i'll take a shot at it.

It doesn't have any of those rooms, its a parkhouse :P
              can you stll go fast and still keep it quiet though?

My dad has suggested he put carpet and an extra piece of wood the shape of the platform on it. And carpet around the adjacent walls. Does anyone know if this would really help?
              that may help with the sound of the rebounds but probably not with wall vibration. I had a friend that covered the rebound surface (underside) of his board with a hard burber carpet to deaden the sound. It worked but it also deadened the rebound. He didn't care about that because he was a "slow Pounder" not a "Speed Demon".
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kid Prodigy
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2011

Awh man,
                I hope i dont have to quit bagging..

Comment

• freshane
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2010

its really nice to bag outside I have mine setup under cover so its out of the weather. Do you have a buddy that would let you set it up at their place? Your neighbours are gonna hate you then complain, wouldn't want you to get kicked out. I would think its worse then loud music lol. I once had my platform setup in the downstairs garage and it could be heard all over the whole house, pretty big place 2 story house too. Reason why is cause its wood frame and causes lots of vibration. I found the title atomic xs to be kind of quiet compared to other bags. Thats definately my fav bag at the moment. Just feels perfect and rebound is amazing seems like you just have to flick your wrist and it goes crazy. I recently got a powermill swivel and love it, makes quite a racket tho with the metal to metal contact. I found a way to make it quieter, I use some 1/4" 3M double sided sticky tape then put some tape over that so theres no metal to metal contact anymore. Rebounds the same if not better and its nice n smooth now.

Hope you can figure something out, good luck
                  Last edited by freshane; 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• 03SVTCobra
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jul 2011

I am having a similar problem but its more of a issue with the platform vibrating than the sound. I am not worried about sound just reducing the platform vibration. I put about 20lbs of sand on top of mine but when I hit it i still get some vibration. Im thinking of running some 2x4's up to the ceiling or somehow making the platform thicker.

Comment

• freshane
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Nov 2010

Try adding more sand I think my bag of sand weighs around 50lbs. and it still has some vibration

Comment

• 03SVTCobra
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2011

Ill try more sand. Today I added some bracing from the platform to the ceiling. Ill see how it works out

Comment

• ebolacereal
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2011

super green member

I'm boasting a similar situation, i.e. apartment dweller (upstairs), wall unit (everlast), looking to reduce vibration or absorb some of the shock that transmits through the pieces. I'm beginning to fall down the replacing-the-cheap-3/4-in-drum-with-something-substantial hole, but suspect the weak metal frame would still transmit most of the vibration into the wall.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• TheSilencerHBM
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Feb 2014

Hanging equipment

Essentially when hanging a heavy bag or speed bag its a matter of weight distribution, and distribution of the inertia created from a punch or kick. Thats the hard part and often requires a free range of motion in the wall or ceiling mount....otherwise you start doing damage to your home.

check out my blog post here on hanging a heavy bag.

I also sell a product that may be useful to you, the links of which you can find at the blog.

Hope this helped!

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

Interesting video you've got there.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...