• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geforce
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

Newbie to speedbag. need advice

Ok im new to using a speedbag, first off i dont know if the ball im using is a medium or large type it came in a set with the platform etc.

i see all theses videos of the ball flying really fast but im unable to do it for some reason , i dont know if im hitting the ball wrong or i have a too large of a ball. maybe even the swivel is crap.

Please take a look at the video and give me some advice please.

Store and share all of your images @ IMAGESHACK.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Geforce; 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM.
  • nav2809
    • Jul 2011

dude im new to this myself but i have been given sum AMAZING advice

using that advice i went and bought myself a:

FIGHTING SPORTS 8x5

will DEFINITELY make a huge difference

also, you did what i did, spend 40quid on a rather pointless setup u went for rdx, i went for turner sports which in truth are both as bad as each other

in fact we should have both spent the 40 quid on a SOLID platform and that would make the rebound MUCH better, from the vid there is plenty vibration in MY opinion, but the pros will give you a clearer answer

few options

FIRST DEFINITELY GET THAT BAG (got mine TODAY and love it! made a huge difference to the balloon of a ball i got with my crap which looks the same size as yours)

2. look into securing the brackets tighter so you reduce the vibration further

3. reinforce your platform, or change it completely to a thicker one, the general consensus here is to have it round the 3 inch thickness mark

4. if you got the money look for a better swivel, no doubt rdx (just like my turner sports nightmare) provided an AWFUL swivel

remember, less vibration, more rebound (which is good)

in my opinion i would follow those steps and you will have a great setup, because those are the steps im going through right now hahaha

Comment

• Geforce
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2011

i put a large sand bag on top of the platform to help and i think it has. and the swivel i brought alone costing £12 its a bbe one, dont tell me i need to get another swivel aswell.

Comment

• nav2809
        • Jul 2011

o maybe not the swivel then but definitely changing the bag will make a MASSIVE difference

i dont know anyone that sells that bag i sent you the link for in the UK

so will have to be an ebay mission and takes about a week and a half to arrive but is worth EVERY SECOND trust me!

again, get the bag FIRST

then if you want to carry on IMPROVING the setup/rebound,tighten the brackets and fixings, then reinforce or change and increase size of the platform

Comment

• Geforce
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2011

what swivel do you have btw?

Comment

• nav2809
            • Jul 2011

i have a chain link swivel that came with my setup

its not the quickest thing ive seen

ppl say to buy a POWERMILL off JUMPCANNON who is on this forum also, but he releases em once a month i believe and out in the states so if you have the patience and money for it i think the whole forum would recommend one of them

otherwise i hear the everlast swivel is good

Comment

• Geforce
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2011

which one mate

and also apart from the FIGHTING SPORTS 8x5 what other bag is good?
              Last edited by Geforce; 08-06-2011, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• John M
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2011

8 x 5's are fun bags very quick.
                I started out with one and got a 9 x 6 later on.
                The 9 x 6 is a bit easier to hit and I would make sure to get a good quality bag ringside is a good bag i got my two from RP65 from the board and I think I need to get this fighting sport bag everyone is praising.

Comment

• nav2809
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Geforce View Post
                  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...og&sa=N&tab=wf

which one mate

and also apart from the FIGHTING SPORTS 8x5 what other bag is good?
                  good point! i dont have a NEW swivel yet, as i say i think that's the LAST of your upgrades needed at the moment, reinforce the platform (drum) and strengthen the brackets to begin with me thinks

not an expert on swivels unfortunately but ppl praise everlast swivels

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Feb 2010

Welcome to the forum Geforce, nice to welcome another person from the UK.

Sandbag on platform will help a lot so it's good you've done that. You can get that big speedball moving quicker with more power in your punches and more speed as you alternative left and right, You've got the basic idea, the rhythm just fine

BUT, you're going to have a lot more fun with a smaller ball for sure. The ringsides, lonsdale, fighting sports are all good makes. Check out your private messages...

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum...be prepared to be addicted!

Go here for the basics and be sure to get the "Speed Bag Bible" by member Alan Kahn:

Speed Bag Bible: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1479

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...