• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morgb
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2011

Newbie Installation Location ?

Hi Folks,

First time poster from the UK here (and a new speed bagger also), and may I say what a fantastic forum and wealth of friendly knowledge, I never even knew such places existed! thank god for Google ha ha.

Well my question is based on a potential set-up I have for a new speed bag installation, firstly I live in an apartment block (3 Floors high + I'm on the top). I have a spare room which is cleared and intended to be used as my home gym.

The walls are plasterboard with wooden studs behind (I'm 99% percent sure the studs are wooden based on my loft, which I can get behind and see the studs)

The first picture from left to right is the wooden studs based on my loft area plasterboard walls, which are exactly the same in my spare room.

The wall in my spare room faces towards the communal apartments stairwell, so there may be addition structural support behind this wall that I could attach onto. (middle picture)

The last pic is a shot taken from the communal apartments wall, which is the other side of my spare room wall.

I hope I've not made it too complex by giving too many screen shots.

I guess my question is simple, In your expert opinions does my spare room wall have enough structure to attach a quality platform, I don't mind adding more strapping onto the spare room to bulk it up a bit. Does this have legs ? or am I wasting my time do you think ?

Also for a quality heavy duty platform what kinda weight are we talking about in total for this to support ?

I'm just not sure if this is your typical installation scenario or not.

Many thanks for your time.

oh yeah the platform I had in mind was something along these lines
    (http://sugarrays.co.uk/shop/rbk-speedball-platform.html)

Cheers,

Morgan.
    Attached Files
  • ExEODCDR
    • Apr 2011

Hey there! Welcome aboard! This place is THE place to go for speedbag info!

Apartment living is tough, especially if you're a speed bagger... walls are thin and vibrations are tough to dampen out completely. If you have a separate garage downstairs or a basement area to retreat to, that might be a good place to set up a board. There's a few people that have apartment boards - MacZero has got an apartment "solution" going on in California, I think?

If you are dead set on having a board in your apartment I think you could try getting a combo heavy bag/speed bag free standing unit and sit it on some rubberized foam. Or if you're handy try building a "cage" similar to Tim's (the site's founder and moderator) see his profile pics and check out the set up he built. You don't need something as big and elaborate, but being that it is heavy and free standing and not directly attached to a load bearing wall in the apartment the vibrations and noise might not be that bad for your neighbors.

My set up is in my garage, and even with the board attached to 2 8x8 solid wood vertical beams with a 50 lb sandbag on top of the board you can still hear vibrations through the house when I get going on it. The sandbag on top of the board REALLY helped reduce the noise, but it is still audible through the house.

There are a bunch of pictures of people's home made set ups on the forum. Check 'em out. Speed baggers, as a group I've found, are incredibly innovative... MsD has a mobile speed bag platform mounted on the back of a pick up truck!!!!

You might also just buy your neighbors each a six pack each night before you start bagging and that might just keep up relations!!! Where there's a will there's a way...

Best of luck and let us know what you figure out! BAG ON!

eX
    -
    Owner/Operator
    www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by morgb View Post
      Hi Folks,

First time poster from the UK here (and a new speed bagger also), and may I say what a fantastic forum and wealth of friendly knowledge, I never even knew such places existed! thank god for Google ha ha.

Well my question is based on a potential set-up I have for a new speed bag installation, firstly I live in an apartment block (3 Floors high + I'm on the top). I have a spare room which is cleared and intended to be used as my home gym.

The walls are plasterboard with wooden studs behind (I'm 99% percent sure the studs are wooden based on my loft, which I can get behind and see the studs)

The first picture from left to right is the wooden studs based on my loft area plasterboard walls, which are exactly the same in my spare room.
      The wall in my spare room faces towards the communal apartments stairwell, so there may be addition structural support behind this wall that I could attach onto. (middle picture)

The last pic is a shot taken from the communal apartments wall, which is the other side of my spare room wall.

I hope I've not made it too complex by giving too many screen shots.

I guess my question is simple, In your expert opinions does my spare room wall have enough structure to attach a quality platform, I don't mind adding more strapping onto the spare room to bulk it up a bit. Does this have legs ? or am I wasting my time do you think ?

Also for a quality heavy duty platform what kinda weight are we talking about in total for this to support ?

I'm just not sure if this is your typical installation scenario or not.

Many thanks for your time.

oh yeah the platform I had in mind was something along these lines
      (http://sugarrays.co.uk/shop/rbk-speedball-platform.html)

Cheers,

Morgan.
      Hi Morgan, and welcome to the forum.

My concern for your set up is with the width between your studs. In the USA most internal wall studs are set on "16 inch centers", meaning 16 inches from the center of one stud to the center of the other. Most lightweight or mid weight speed bag vertical mounts are based on this width. If YOUR studs are wider than this (appear to be in the picture) than you will need to run horizontal braces across several studs and attach the vertical wall mounts to the horizontal braces, and I suggest one of the vertical speed bag mounts be attached to a stud.

horizontal braces can be seen here (top 2 pics).

I think that unit from Sugarrays will work fine in this setup, however some vibration and noise can be expected.

Hope it helps.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...