Speedbag beginner looking for equipment advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2011

Speedbag beginner looking for equipment advice.

Hey, new to the forum and speedbagging.

I just started speedbagging a few days ago and my bag seems to move a little slow, rebounding 5-6 times when i hit it hard.

I just finished building my speedbag platform and it's rock solid so i'm looking for some advice on swivel and bag choice.

I currently have an old, cheap chainlink swivel and a slow bag around 11x8 size i think, that i got years ago as part of a set that's barely been used.

Can anyone reccomend a better swivel and maybe a slightly smaller bag?

PS: I live in the UK so i'm not really sure what's available to me.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Well if your looking for a ballhook swivel i make the powermill swivel which seems to be liked by other baggers. As far as bags go........ditch the 11x8 and hang up a 9x6 or 8x5. As far as brand........ringside, cleto, or fighting sports would be my pick. I know there are great bags in the U.K. as well but i just havent tried them out. I think "sugar rays" sells them? A member on here RP65 deals with cleto and ringside bags if u were interested. Only thing i have heard that is good from everlast is their kangaroo bag. There are a few active members on here from the U.K. that can help you as well. Welcome to the forums!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Dylan
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2011

Thanks for the reply, i had to take down my platform and i'm trying to find a new place to mount it as a neighbour complained about the noise.

I might be interested in buying one of your swivels after i get my platform sorted out.

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

Hi Dylan! i am in the UK! i highly recommend Jumpcannons swivel you wont find better quality on this planet Sugarrays is the site of choice in the uk and Cleto are my favorite bags also lonsdale are a great UK bag! and as JC said pm RP65 and he will hook you up with some top quality bags, oh and welcome to the forum.......and the addiction.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Welcome to the forum and ditto on all the above info! You came to a great place for bagging!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

Welcome to the forum Dylan, another UK based member here!

Have you got your new equipment sorted yet? I agree with fingers, for online boxing stores in the UK, sugarrays has the most choice with cheapest P&P, but check with boxfituk.com and phdfitness before you buy.

Best swivel is the Powermill swivel available here or a good second best would be an Everlast ballhook which is what a lot of us used before Jumpcannon made his Powermill swivel. I have a spare everlast swivel, so if you're interested send me a message.

As for speedballs, my favourite available in the UK is the Lonsdale Authentic peanut 9x6".

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on

Comment

• Dylan
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2011

I just finished moving my platform to another part of the house trying to make it less noisy, so i haven't bought anything else yet.

Got the platform up and just as i went to try it out my swivel snapped when i connected it to the platform .

I'm interested in that swivel Mrs Mitts, i'd prefer something like that until i get decent at it then i'll probably move up to something like the powermill.
              Last edited by Dylan; 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                • Apr 2011

MsMitts hooked me up with a Lonsdale original peanut from SugarRays over there! My favorite bag by far!

Im sure you've read on the forum but try putting a sand bag on top of your platform. It'll dampen out the vibrations a bit. I bag in my garage late at night and since I put in heavier lag screws in and added a larger sandbag I rarely get yelled at anymore!!!
                -
                Owner/Operator
                www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Dylan
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2011

Got everything sorted out now, bought myself the Lonsdale Authentic Peanut speedbag, great bag. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                    Got everything sorted out now, bought myself the Lonsdale Authentic Peanut speedbag, great bag. Thanks everyone for the advice.
                    Welcome Dylan.

I just hope that peanut bag is not too small and fast for your beginning skill level. In your first post you mentioned one bag only made 5-6 rebounds when you hit it hard. Beginners will not normally learn much by hitting the bag "hard" or trying to go fast, because they normally end up making the bag go much faster than they can control. Hit easy on that peanut bag. The weight of your hand alone will probably yield 3-5 rebounds.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dylan
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2011

Hi Alan, the problem with my other bag was that i had to hit it pretty hard for it to rebound 3 times.

The lonsdale bag is faster than my old bag but it's slower than i expected it to be, thought i would have needed to deflate it a little to be able to control it.

Would vibrations from my platform affect that? It's a homemade platform fixed onto some 2x4 that is attached to a concrete wall with anchor bolts, the platform also has 50lb of sand on top but it still vibrates quite a bit.

At the moment though it's fast enough but shouldn't it be able to go faster once i'm able to control it?

Edit: It seems the bag wasn't inflated enough, I inflated the bag some more and it now rebounds 3-5 times just with the weight of my hand and it doesnt feel overinflated either. Silly me .
                      Last edited by Dylan; 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...