• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John M
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2011

Info on gear for a first timer

Hello everyone

I am a first timer to this site and to the speed bag but I have always wanted to learn how to use one and I have finally gotten off my lazy ass and started looking around for a speed bag.

I have no idea of good brands other then the brief time I been looking on the SBF's.

My price range is about 200 to 250 dollars. If anyone could give me some info on some products I would appreciate it greatly. (mounts, bases, swivels, bags, mounting height) (I am 6 foot)
    From the post's I have read on this forum the group of people on here are very willing to help people out.

I would be mounting the base to a cinder block wall in a garage. I work in the construction field so I have access to all sorts of tap-cons and mounting materials.
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Go with the I-box platform from Balazs! We had several of them at Speed Bag II this weekend and I believe it'd the best platform for the price after testing them out.
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Johnny O
      • Apr 2011

You came to the right place...

John M,

I agree with novaspeedbagger. Tim also steered me in this direction a few months ago. I purchased the Balazs i-Box adjustable platform and I am very happy with it. This platform comes with an Everlast chain link type swivel which is OK but I would upgrade to the Powermill Swivel made by JumpCannon (one of the forum members). It’s a high quality ball hook swivel, which in my opinion is what you want to learn on.

As far as a bag goes, there are a number of companies that make good quality bags but if you are just starting out, you may want to go with a larger bag, maybe a 10x7. Hitting a small bag when you are just starting out may be a little frustrating.

One thing you should definitely get is the “Speed Bag Bible” (book and DVD) by Alan Kahn who is also a member here. Alan is the Master and his teaching method cuts the learning curve way down. Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

• John M
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2011

Thank you both for the info. it might be just a bit out of my price I wanted to spend but rather buy a quality product over going cheap.
        Looking at a 9 x 6 bag that should not make a huge difference correct?

Comment

• Johnny O
          • Apr 2011

Not a big deal... Go for it. After a little while when you start to have fun with the speed bag you will most likely purchase a few other bags, different sizes and manufacturers. (Like the rest of the (us) nuts on this forum; and I mean that in the most endearing way)

Comment

• John M
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2011

Yeah I have always wanted to learn how to use one.
            I am all ready in the process of getting a swivel off of jumpcannon and I will spend the extra dollars and get the i-Box with the everlast 4200 bag they sell on the balazs web site since I saw it had a good review
            And everyone is a little nutty if they were not people would be boring

Comment

• 08speed3
              • Dec 2010

I agree with the above post. Contact Jumpcannon for the powermill swivel. I have bought several swivels from Ryan already. Also contact RP65 (Ralph)for your speedbag needs. He sells Ringside & Cleto Reyes speedbags for a great price. He can also hook you up with other Cleto Reyes gear.
              I have dealt with both Ryan & Ralph before. Both have excellent customer service & their products are top notch! good luck!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The Balazs i-Box is a fantastic platform, and is adjustable, which is important if you want to use different sizes of bag (and if you get serious you certainly will want to do that).

A 9x6 sized bag would be a good size for a beginner. Some start with 10x7, but I found that after a brief period of using that size I never touch it again, it's just too large. 9x6 will be a better long term investment.

Comment

• John M
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2011

Went and ordered a i-Box and it should be here tuesday and got a bag from RP65 the new old stock. I just have to wait on the powermill swivel from Jumpcannon when this months get finished from being machined.

I am looking forward to setting it up and get a nice humbling experience on how my tempo and hand eye coordination is.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2010

Glad to hear it John M!
                    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• John M
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2011

In the nice hot garage is south florida heat.
                      I use the speed bag at least 4 times a week. I am very glad I got it.
                      Thanks for all the information everyone provided me

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by John M View Post

In the nice hot garage is south florida heat.
                        I use the speed bag at least 4 times a week. I am very glad I got it.
                        Thanks for all the information everyone provided me
                        Gotta love a small, concise home gym. Punch on, John M.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...