X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimcaher
    • Feb 2010

thanks to Alan Kahn

Seeing the videos of SB II, I’m struck with the explosion in speed bag talent and creativity over the past year- giving rise to a new era in speed bag history. The first golden age of the speed was probably in the early 1900s and then interest in creative baggin’ appears to declined to the point of almost becoming a lost art. Alan Kahn is like one the monks of the dark ages. First by becoming Doc Schroeder’s most loyal disciple and then devising a method of preserving the wisdom with his speed bag notion, book and DVDs until its rebirth through Speed bag forum and YouTube. Had not been for the monks, much of the wisdom of our early ancestors would have been lost to the ages. Had it not been for Alan, the art of creative speed baggin might have been lost.

Jim Caher
    Last edited by jimcaher; 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Here here!

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Here here!
      +1 on this!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

Great insight!

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
        Seeing the videos of SB II, I’m struck with the explosion in speed bag talent and creativity over the past year- giving rise to a new era in speed bag history. The first golden age of the speed was probably in the early 1900s and then interest in creative baggin’ appears to declined to the point of almost becoming a lost art. Alan Kahn is like one the monks of the dark ages. First by becoming Doc Schroeder’s most loyal disciple and then devising a method of preserving the wisdom with his speed bag notion, book and DVDs until its rebirth through Speed bag forum and YouTube. Had not been for the monks, much of the wisdom of our early ancestors would have been lost to the ages. Had it not been for Alan, the art of creative speed baggin might have been lost.

Jim Caher
        Wow Jim, I haven't thought of it that way, but you are probably accurate in you assessment I for one, would not have progressed past straight punch/circle punching without the influence of youtube and then the speed bag bible. And, the thought of punch drumming seemed like an impossible accomplishment when I first learned of it, however, Alan's creativeness in that area, and watching Skunk, Ms. D, Tichy and other forum members quickly dispelled that notion to me. Therefore, I gave it a shot and found it to be one of the most enjoyable activities I've ever attempted!

Thanks for posting Jim!
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• speedbag4life
          • Jun 2007

wholeheartedly agreed. Thanks for putting this up, Jim. Alan really has been a bridge and an inspiration. I hope it's okay for me to add what I've seen and felt in person: Alan is also a great teacher. He's patient, has a keen eye for detail, and can analyze and break down a combination into smaller pieces that can be understood by anyone at any level. And he does it all, not for fame or glory but for the love of the bag (and probably for the love of baggers!). Everyone on this forum contributes and makes it a special place, sincerely, but I think we all agree that without Alan... we might not be here!

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Agreed. We call him the King for a reason

Alan always has time to help a beginner as well. The only thing larger than his speed bag knowledge is his heart.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by tim View Post
              agreed. We call him the king for a reason

Alan always has time to help a beginner as well. The only thing larger than his speed bag knowledge is his heart.
              AMEN!!!!!!:d:d:d:d
              Last edited by metaldad; 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
              sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I am proud to call ALan a friend and have had many great times learning from him and punch drumming in the Speed Bag Truck and my house!
                BAG ON!

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                  • Apr 2011

You the man Alan!!!!!! Thanks for signing my copy of your book! Tim got it to me!
                  -
                  Owner/Operator
                  www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Johnny O
                    • Apr 2011

Well deserved post!

Alan is the man! He has been able to break down and teach what appears to be a very complex and specialized skill into a manageable progression of techniques and combinations. With just a little bit of coordination and a lot of practice just about anybody can hit the bag like a pro… Thanks Alan!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...