• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n00b
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Bag and platfrom recommendation for a beginner

Greetings all,

my friend just finished building a drum for me, I have a swivel on order, now I need my first bag and a platform on which to mount the drum.

Regarding the bag, could you recommend a size, i.e., 10x7 or 9x6 and brand that would be good for starting?

Regarding the platform, I would appreciate a recommendation. My drum measures 28 inches in diameter. Can I buy one without the drum and the swivel since I already have both? I would prefer a quality unit because in my experience, "moving up" is always more expensive in a long run.

Thank you,

n
  • MaccZero8
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum!

As far as bags go, I would definitely recommend a 9x6 if you are a quick learner. I grew out of my 10x7 in a matter of days then it was waaaay to slow for me. Talk to Ralph (RP65) about getting a Ringside bag. He sells top of the line product for unbeatable prices with free 2 day shipping. If you have a little extra cash to spend, talk to him about a Cleto Reyes bag, they are probably the best of the best.

Comment

• n00b
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2009

Dear MaccZero8,

thank you for the reply, I will contact Ralph.

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• ebozyn
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by n00b View Post
        Greetings all,

my friend just finished building a drum for me, I have a swivel on order, now I need my first bag and a platform on which to mount the drum.

Regarding the bag, could you recommend a size, i.e., 10x7 or 9x6 and brand that would be good for starting?

Regarding the platform, I would appreciate a recommendation. My drum measures 28 inches in diameter. Can I buy one without the drum and the swivel since I already have both? I would prefer a quality unit because in my experience, "moving up" is always more expensive in a long run.

Thank you,

n
        As far as a good bag for anyone, at any level, at low prices, i would recommend Title standards, or Ringside RPSB. Both are very, very good. It would be very difficult to find anyone, (that isn't clinically insane) to say anything bad about Title, or ringside pro bags. Ringside bags are a little more pricey than the titles. Both are about half the price of some other bags. You'll probably want some 5x8s, and, or smaller later on. They are nice to hit, and definitely have there place on any speed bag rack.

Later on, if you want to, and, if you have the money, You should also buy yourself a cleto reyes, or grant pro bag. These bags are beautiful and fast. Great for woking on getting your hand speed up. they are nice to throw in to a bag workout. Find out what sizes of bags you really like to hit with the less expensive bags, then if you want to spend the extra money on the cletos, and grant professional you'll know what sizes to buy. They are cool bags.

For sizes: 6x9, or 7x10. Both sizes are fine to start with.
        And don't worry about these larger bags becoming obsolete when you gain more skills, it doesn't work that way. You don't have to start with a beach ball, and work yourself down to a bag the size of a thimble. All the sizes of bags are fun, and beneficial at any level. Two of the best baggers that i know of, still use the slightly larger bags, one uses a 6x9 title, and the other a 7x10 ringside. Also some of the 7x10s, and 6x9s work great for working on your technique, because of the larger size, and slower speed. It's my personal belief that you should never stop working on technique , no matter how good you may be at the time. "always be a student"

I use a DIY platform, so i can't help with which one to buy. But i'm sure someone else can give you info on that.
        Hope to see some vids of you bagging soon. bag on!

Comment

• n00b
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2009

Dear ebozyn,

thank you for the informative post regarding the bags.

As to your DIY platform, although I could easily DIY something similar, having an access to a shop, the ceiling where I can put the platform up is too high.

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• larted
            • Mar 2009

Great advice so far from everyone. I to am a diy person but went with the I-box. I like it so much that I am going to order a second one. Really good product and great service.
            Larry

Comment

• n00b
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2009

Larry,

as far as I know, the I-box is sold complete with drum, swivel, etc, which I would like to avoid.

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• larted
                • Mar 2009

N, that is true. They will sell frames on their other models. I priced a fixed one for a 30 in drum and I think it was around 246.00. I known that is a lot but you save over 200.00 by not buying the whole unit. He said it was heavier than the I-box frame. I had a drum that I made but after reading on the forum about the I-box I went that way. There is a post on the forum about the fixed Balaza that the guy says it is great. All of there products are really good.
                Larry

Comment

• n00b
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2009

Larry,

I did not know that they are selling them without the drum; that would be great. Did you call about that option?

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• larted
                    • Mar 2009

Yes, if you can give them a call. Great people and quality products with great service. Being a diy person I got a 2in thick red oak restaurant table top and cut it to 28 in dia.. Then I sanded it down and put linseed oil on it. I called Balazs to buy a frame with out a drum and almost got the fixed frame. Due to all the comments on the forum about the I-box I bought it. I installed the 28 in drum and am real happy with it. I think I am going to buy another I-box and install the extra drum on it to have a double drum. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Please search the forum for I-box, a lot of good info.
                    Larry

Comment

• n00b
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2009

Larry,

thank you once again for the great information. I will try to call them tomorrow. One more question please. Looking at the dimensions at
                      HTML Code:
                      http://www.balazsboxing.com/pdfs/ms0433.pdf
                      , it does not appear that the 28 inch drum will fit.

What did you do - offset it?

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• larted
                        • Mar 2009

I offset it 1in., which means that there is enough room in the rear to move it back 1in.a total of 2in. offset. Someone else in the forum offset theirs 2in. With a 28in.drum. I thought the 1in back and 1in offset would be better. Both ways will work. I think someone also installed a 30in. Drum.

Larry

Comment

• n00b
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2009

Larry,

thank you once again. Upon your advice I searched the forum and found a post discussing the offset.

I will call tomorrow and see if they will sell me just the brace.

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Aug 2010

Welcome to the forum, I've scanned many of the replies to your request and I can't top any of the advice I've seen. But it's great to have another bagger on board! Looking forward to seeing some vidz! You've come to a great place with plenty of positive people to assist you in your progress as a bagger! Bag on!
                            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• n00b
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2009

Thank you for the welcome, novaspeedbagger.

Kindest regards,

n

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...