• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Changed my first bladder

Well... I did it! First try too (I'm so proud ).

So, either I was way too hard on my Ringside 8x5 (thanks again Ralph...LOVE this bag) or I had a weak bladder (no comments please, lol) and it wouldn't hold air. I ordered a new rubber bladder from Ringside, a medium for this bag and it arrived this morning. It is a good quality bladder and a little heavier duty (thicker rubber) then the one originally in the bag. I followed the instructions from Alan in the archive of this forum and read the instructions posted on the Ringside site too. It was easier then I thought.

Took about 10 minutes to unlace and turn the bag inside-out (only about half way) so I could get to the valve, another couple minutes to remove the old bladder as it is rubber cemented in place... then rubber cemented the new valve in place and let it 'cure' for about 15 minutes so it would stay in place. I then carefully worked the new bladder into the bag making sure the valve stayed seated properly and the new bladder didn't get pinched or anything. Before re-lacing, I pumped a bit of air into it and adjusted it in the bag so it was nice & round where it should be. I then tucked the tongue in place. Pumped it up till it was a little too hard (to fill the leather out), checked for any leaks....and let air out to the proper inflation level that feels good to me. Laced it back up...and BINGO!

Now I'm back baby....not that I stopped, there are other's, but this 8x5 is the size for me and the Ringside leather is easy on the hands. I find you get a much better 'feel' for the hits without the gloves.

Just though I'd share and say... it's easier then you think!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • Hannibal
    • Dec 2010

I did this last week to one of mine as well. It is much easier than people think. Don't worry Ralph sells quality. The bladders from ringside have just dipped in their quality presently. I wish I had a vid cam or someone with a cam could make a video of changing a bladder to ease some of the tensions have. I am glad you got it done so fast. bag on!!

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      I did this last week to one of mine as well. It is much easier than people think. Don't worry Ralph sells quality. The bladders from ringside have just dipped in their quality presently. I wish I had a vid cam or someone with a cam could make a video of changing a bladder to ease some of the tensions have. I am glad you got it done so fast. bag on!!
      You know... I was going to video tape the process, but just wanted to get it done...and back to hittin' my baby (somehow that just doesn't sound right ).

To back-up what you said, this is NO reflection on Ralph (RP65). He's THE BEST in service and sells top-quality product...and one hell of a nice guy! As stated, I LOVE MY RINGSIDE BAGS and it was just a weak bladder and held air just fine until a month of hitting it. I spoke to Ralph and he was more then willing to replace the bag or do whatever it took... did I mention that he's a GREAT guy? This bladder failure had nothing what-so-ever to do with Ralph or the bags he sells, I want to make that perfectly clear.

I inspected the bladder closely once it was out and it was a weak seam... right where everything came together... the way it was manufactured. My beating on it stressed it out...and there you have it. I don't know much about these bladders, but the replacements I got aren't built with seams... they are completely smooth like a balloon. Here's what it looked like:

Here's to happy baggin'.... now back at it!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...