• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Plastic bladder vs Rubber bladder

My Platinum Atomic XS's bladder went south last night. I'm fixin' to order a bunch of bladder replacements so I have them on hand. I've used the Title Rubber bladders a number of times and quite happy with them. Has anyone used the plastic? Does it make a noticeable difference in rebound? It's cheaper so I'm guessing it's less desirable

Link: http://store.titleboxing.com/repspeedbagb.html

PS: Title Gyro bags are on sale for $24.99. These bags kick butt...that's one in action in my avatar image: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...speed-bag.html
  • jimcaher
    • Feb 2010

I've found that plastic bladders have a dead, unresponsive feeling to them. As I recall the Atomic has a rubber bladder that can be repaired with a bicycle tire patch, provided that the problem is not in the valve.

Jim

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
      I've found that plastic bladders have a dead, unresponsive feeling to them. As I recall the Atomic has a rubber bladder that can be repaired with a bicycle tire patch, provided that the problem is not in the valve.

Jim
      Thanks Jim. Sounds like I'll stick to rubber. Also - good catch on the bike tire patch... I'll give that a shot first.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

My 1980s era Everlasts have plastic bladders, and they rebound nicely. Just depends, I guess.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          My 1980s era Everlasts have plastic bladders, and they rebound nicely. Just depends, I guess.
          Interesting... Maybe I'll order one of each and do a "shoot out"... see which one works best.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I love ringside's latex bladders. I put one of these in my xs NOS ringside and I love it. That's the bag I'm using in the elbow double bumping video.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

I've had mixed results with the plastron bladders from Everlast. Went through several in an 1980's 4210, they all let go at the seams, but the two 4205's I have I put one in each and haven't had a problem. I've not blown out a rubber bladder, lost all of them to bad valves.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                ...plastron bladders from Everlast...
                You're probably the last person on planet earth that could have remembered the name plastron.

I had some with seams that let go on first inflation, and others that are still Energizer bunny in durability after a decade.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                  • Jun 2007

I had some with seams that let go on first inflation, and others that are still Energizer bunny in durability after a decade.
                  My favorite bag is my 9x6 Title with a plastic bladder. To me, it seems lighter and faster than the same bag with a rubber bladder, and has lasted a long time. ~Evidently I got one of the Energizer bunnies.

Comment

• newbagger
                    • May 2010

Here is a good price on the Title bladder ($7.25 with free shipping):

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                      My favorite bag is my 9x6 Title with a plastic bladder. To me, it seems lighter and faster than the same bag with a rubber bladder, and has lasted a long time. ~Evidently I got one of the Energizer bunnies.
                      Same here. I had many an everlast bag with plastic bladders and they hit fine. All my of original favorites (9x6 4210 and 8x5 4204) had plastic bladders. Of course, I'm talking bags that were made back in the 70's and 80's when quality counted. I bought them off the shelf at a sporting goods store.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...