• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silky10
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2011

Newbie - What bag is best for me?

Morning all (UK time), first post here.

I've recently bought a BBE frame and speedbag set (cheap and chearful so to speak) as I'm only a beginner. The bag which came with the set is very poor quality, it 'feels' very plastic and doesn't have a nice bounce off the platform, the platform itself is actually decent enough and is up solid (may get a some sand on top though to see if it improves the vibration a little). The swivel also seems decent enough.

I go to a boxing gym once a week and I'm starting to feel a little rythym when hitting the speedbag hence why I decided to get one for my home. The bag in the gym is a blue and white lonsdale one however it feels much much better than the BBE one that came with my set.

Any advice on what to look at? Can I assume a Medium bag is a good starting point? Leather bags the way to go?

Any advice much appreciated.
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Silky10 View Post
    Morning all (UK time), first post here.

I've recently bought a BBE frame and speedbag set (cheap and chearful so to speak) as I'm only a beginner. The bag which came with the set is very poor quality, it 'feels' very plastic and doesn't have a nice bounce off the platform, the platform itself is actually decent enough and is up solid (may get a some sand on top though to see if it improves the vibration a little). The swivel also seems decent enough.

I go to a boxing gym once a week and I'm starting to feel a little rythym when hitting the speedbag hence why I decided to get one for my home. The bag in the gym is a blue and white lonsdale one however it feels much much better than the BBE one that came with my set.

Any advice on what to look at? Can I assume a Medium bag is a good starting point? Leather bags the way to go?

Any advice much appreciated.
    Order a NOS Ringside bag off forum member RP65 the Medium or small will be great for you

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Size medium 10x7 or small 9x6. DEFINATELY put the bag of sand on top! if your buying a bag from the U.S. then hit RP65 up for one of his ringside mediums. if your buying from U.K. fingers or ms. mitts can give the best advice. either way.....bag on!
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Avadia
        • Nov 2010

The Lonsdale Authentic Speedball from SugarRays in the UK is a great bag for a beginner. This is the bag pictured in my avatar. As you get more advanced, the Authentic Peanut is a nice transition to a smaller bag.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

Hi Silky,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see a new member from my side of the Atlantic

I started off with a BBE platform, probably like yours and it's a good set up, and it's even better with a sand bag on top, It definitely helps reduce vibration. See my albums for pics. (I still use the BBE frame, just have a slightly thicker board on it now).

As for speedballs, Boxfit and Sugar Rays are online stores with a good selection. I've tried a fair few and have found that the Lonsdales have the edge for quality. I agree with Avadia, about the Lonsdale Authentic speedballs. It's my favourite so far.

RP65 has top quality bags for sale on the forum, but then you have to add shipping. I'm sure fingers will chime in to - I think he's tried most brands of speedballs that you can get in the UK.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
            • Jan 2011

hey man,
            Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Welcome to the forum Silky!! i would agree lonsdale is the way to go! in the UK! the only reason Mrs Mitts hasn't got more bags than me is they always arrive wrong lol! i have noticed Sports direct are stocking lonsdale i would go with them very reliable and next day delivery!! welcome to the addiction.

Comment

• Silky10
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2011

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

You ain't heard the last of me yet

Comment

• Silky10
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2011

Just an update to say I managed to get a Lonsdale bag here in the UK, the difference is incredible from the PVC to the leather bag.

I may attempt to upload a video for some constructive advice .............

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Just an update to say I managed to get a Lonsdale bag here in the UK, the difference is incredible from the PVC to the leather bag.

Welcome Silky10

I think you're our first member from Scotland. ?? I may be wrong on that, but I think so. Anyway, I've heard there can be only one so watch yourself!

Looking forward to your video
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum! I've never gotten hands on with a Lonsdale, but I understand they are very nice. Leather is the way to go!

Yes, please do. We love to help!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...