X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Looking through the bag seems to help me!

Different things probably work for different baggers, however, I find myself looking through the bag instead of at anything in particular and maintaining a relaxed state. Every now and then when I do find myself looking at part of the bag or swivel and it makes my eyes go crazy because of the speed at which the bag moves. As for the relaxed state relaxed hands and arms move much quicker than if tensed up.

I find this is similar to driving in that you focus at a distance ahead of your vehicle in stead of at the road just in front passing quickly under the vehicle. This helps you identify the most important areas to focus on to anticipate any adjustments you have to make in speed or direction while driving, and doing so in a relaxed manner instead of making sudden jerks in the wheel or slamming on the brakes to avoid tail ending someone because you were texting and driving! Ha! Ha! I'm just saying

Also, as a former basketball coach I used to influence players to look forward or look up the court......to see the court, if you will. When players were focused in close areas with their eyes, they were late in making passes up the court resulting in a player being covered, instead of open just a spilt second earlier. When they were properly focused it didn't gaurantee that they made the play, however, they were more likely to get the pass to an open player successfully.

If you take close notice when viewing videos you can see how baggers are using their eyes (i.e. if the camera angle allows).

Something I heard in the past is that when your eyes are moving you are blind during the time they are moving. I am really not sure if this info is actually true, but I have noticed that while I am hitting the speed bag I do not blink very often, if not the entire time till I mis-hit or rest. I am not sure why but I just don't.

I think this helps me make adjustments, if necessary, to keep the bag rebounding if a slight mis-hit happens.

Also, the exercise of blindfolding oneself and hitting the speed bag seems to make it much easier when you have use of your eyes again. At times I think our sight can hinder us if we are not focusing in optimal areas for the activity taking place.

I also, have done triathlon's (but not a full iron-man, so I guess that makes me a tin man) and had to learn how to swim long distances in open water. I learned a technique for swimming that calls for wearing fist gloves, so that when you swam again using your full hand, you seemed to find that your hands felt like paddles grabbing water instead of tiny hands slicing through. This is called technique based training rather than conditioning based training.

Speed baggin seems to be all timing, technique and rhythym to maintain continuous rebounds without mis-hits.....and of course your eyes help in a major way, but can also hinder our success, if we are focused improperly.

I know that I did not talk specifics however I am a firm believer that principles carry us toward excellence, where as technique gives us many short term successes that lead to finally pursuing excellence in a discipline, rather than trying to reaching a destination. The Journey is the Thing! And, what fascinates me mostly about speed baggin is the endles challenge it presents in various combinations and styles ( e.g. hitting to music, the endless combo's in The Speed Bag Bible, deano elbows, skunky elbows Ms. Deville's downward double - fist elbow strike) and yet I also thoroughly dig the traditional boxing style of straight bagging with straight, circle and rope pull - over the shoulder style punches, for an incredible total upper-body workout.

This is the kind of stuff we all need to have a few drinks over and BS about. Maybe even have a few bag set ups to mess around with before we all have a few too many in us to focus on anything!

Definitely a cool topic! Thanks for bringing it up Sparrky!

And when I am feeling a bit frustrated with my latest combo challenge.......I always remember the Karate-Kid, hearing the famous quote from his teacher......

Focus Danielson! lol
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Whuduhyuhsay? Keep the "Focus Sparrk" alive!!!

I was hoping more baggers would chime in on this thread, as I am always interested in learning from other's points of view. That's how I've come to develop the skills I've acquired for speed bagging, so far. I appreciate your effort Sparrky to have opened this thread, and am now asking for some more input from other baggers out there!

This is truly a wide open topic and in Technique Based training like speed bagging, if you concetrate your focus on certain specifics for designated sessions and then change that focus as you continue advancing and progressing you might find that the previous things you've focused on become second nature due to muscle memory. It's then that we can pick out another weakness to focus on, turning it into a strength, after drilling the technique (if done adequately) to the point of being able to perform it effortlessly. For this reason I have come to make speed bagging the major exercise in my fitness regimen and also as a means to keep me from having weak excuses for not exercising during the cold months. I originally hail from the fog filled swamplands of southeast Lousiana. Sportsman's Paradise! I keep it baggin to stay fit in the winter but the "Odyssey of the Mind" that baggin provides is what draws me into it so deeply! That's why I like this topic of Focus so much! So, Sparrk it up baggers! I for one would like to hear what more of you have to say about Sparrky's inquiry! Oh I almost forgot to say "Please"
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...